Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Dec 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #1,816 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh that's how you got the sink to look like that. Very nice
beerchug.gif

Did you use a dremel to polish, or??

I like the idea of giving a MHSS as a gift! I'm too late for xmas this year, but if I start now, I might have some ready for next year
tongue.gif

For the heat sink, I started with an orbital sander to get the hard anodized layer off.

Once you get the black off the Al is very soft and goes fast by hand.

Wet sand with 120 then 320 then 1500 then 2000 in the sink under running water, then metal polish.

For the knob, I had it in spinning in the drill press and held the papers against the corner to round it off.

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #1,817 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is this your first build?
Tube sockets are numbered as viewed from the bottom.
got pics?

hi yes this is my first build. i have since posting taken everything apart. tho now i think the problem may with the tube sockets. are they meant to hold the tubes firmly in? ans in the ones i have got when placed firmly in using as much force as i dare then i tilt the socket a bit the tubes from both come loose

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #1,818 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they meant to hold the tubes firmly in?

Yes, they should have a pretty decent grip on the pins. The grip on the pins makes the electrical contact.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the 12V tubes, in many cases you can still use the heater as the mosfet load. That seems to me to be what makes the SS unique and interesting. Indeed, the 18V heater on the 19J6 is hungry in wattage terms and draws about the same current as a lot of 12V heaters.

yep, version 1 of the amp I put up did that. I wanted to DC couple the plate to the mosfet though. I dont think the tube I used really liked running at the points that kind of forced on it.
Quote:

12FK7? What's that?

I made a mistake on the schematic! It should read 12FK6. will edit.

Dec 27, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #1,820 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a big difference in dc coupling the plate to the mosfet?

I never tried to cap couple this design, so I cant say for sure.

The general rule of thumb is that "no cap is as good as no cap" but there are exceptions. When you need to isolate DC there are a couple other options but a cap is generally the least expensive and most convenient.

I dont know if the SS would suffer the same problems that my amp did trying to DC couple AND force all of the voltages to the right levels. Whats the plate voltage as it sits now, go from there.

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #1,821 of 7,277
Been away awhile, just a small update.

I have changed the output caps from

-330uF Nichicon Muse ES
-bypassed with Wima MKP10 .33uF

to

-470uF Muse FS caps
-bypassed with Audyn-Cap MKP Q4 .47uF

The effect is that my bass is much more full, stronger and more defined with the HD 580s. Just decided to share my findings....my earpads are extremely worn out so just bit the bullet and bought new ones so hopefully that will give me even more bass.

I have also noticed that I can now pick out individual sounds in the highs a bit more easily.

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #1,822 of 7,277
I've been peicing together for this amp.

So far I have everything, less the tubes. I found the tubes for sale, but haven't received an email back on purchasing a set matched. (site says to inquire about this)

Would anyone perhaps know of a site that would match them for me?

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #1,824 of 7,277
here i have an "international" parts list - twofold purpose -
1> to help those outside US access a quick ref to parts numbers of an international supplier (i'm using rs components)
2>cross-check - any suggestions to improve the list would be much appreciated - specially if you pick up some fatal errors...

I know some of the parts are not really "starving", but it's easy to substitute with lower values as needed once you are on the rs-components site.

I got the tubes and sockets from radioera.com - they are on their way to me - the PSU i am still hunting for, but i found a local company who sells used cisco equipment so hoping to get it from them (awaiting their reply). So apart from that all parts from RS...

It is quite a bit more expensive to do this if you are not based in the CONUS (main reason would be to get the tubes shipped - easily adds $10 to 20 + if you buy power supply on ebay or sth that has to be shipped seperately), i also think in general rs is a little more expensive than us suppliers...so maybe it should be called "starving US student" amp

Dec 30, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #1,826 of 7,277
Im in desperate need of an amp since my darkvoice gave up on me
frown.gif
this looks like the perfect 'fill in' amp til i get graham slee solo.

Ive ordered all the parts i need as listed, expect caps (using better quality ones), and tubes. I cannot find 19j6 tubes anywhere. I live in UK anyone know a good place to find some? or can i use an alternative?
thanks in advance
1st post
atsmile.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #1,827 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im in desperate need of an amp since my darkvoice gave up on me
frown.gif
this looks like the perfect 'fill in' amp til i get graham slee solo.

Ive ordered all the parts i need as listed, expect caps (using better quality ones), and tubes. I cannot find 19j6 tubes anywhere. I live in UK anyone know a good place to find some? or can i use an alternative?
thanks in advance
1st post
atsmile.gif

I got my last batch from radioera.com and kris found them there too. If you are desperate I might have a couple to sell, but with added postage etc, radioera would be cheaper.

Dec 30, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #1,828 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my last batch from radioera.com and kris found them there too. If you are desperate I might have a couple to sell, but with added postage etc, radioera would be cheaper.

bad news - the guy from radioera made a mistake - they don't have any in stock, their records were incorrect or sth, but he's trying to source some from elsewhere for me...i tried thetubecenter as well and they said they might be getting some soon...but yes - it's a big problem - i think the popularity of this build has just wiped out the supply of 19j6's. Anyway - i hope radioera can source me some else i'm gonna go for a pimeta...

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #1,830 of 7,277
STRONG ADVICE TO FUTURE "SS" MILLET BUILDERS...

I would make sure I secure some tubes BEFORE starting this build, it appears that they really are becoming scarce. I would check eBay and google search "vacuum tubes", you'll get tens of "stores" selling tubes. When I set out to do this, I emailed upwards of 10 stores asking if they had the tube. To my surprise, at least 5 or so said they had some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back