Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Dec 19, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #1,757 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys

just joined to say after reading this thread over and over again past few days i decided to make one my self. just hope i do ok for my first ever diy amp.

and im totally impressed by mouser, ordered late Tuesday and it was here this morning not bad considering i live in the UK and shipping was free

It's you from OcUK!

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #1,758 of 7,277
Try switching the tubes and listening carefully to which channel it is coming from to see if it follows the tubes. You can try cleaning the contact pins of the tubes with some contact cleaner or isopropyl alchohol. I had a bad tube that would make faint static noises that sound like what you might have. I changed the tube and it was gone, so it was probably a failing tube or just a fidgety one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Logistic, not sure if it does change with moving the tubes. It seems to come and go. It stays for most of the time though but it isn't just a constant hiss, it fluctuates a little bit. (Sort of like I described previously with the similarity to a record needle)

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #1,760 of 7,277
My first diy amp ever! I love it.
Yeah, the knob is always the last to be added on these types of projects, lol.

amp.jpg

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #1,763 of 7,277
so i completed my build but have one problem

i have a temp headphone and set of rca jacks hooked to test things and have it hooked to a cd player for testing

playing back a song is perfect but if i pause, stop, skip tracks i get a really loud popping sound this also happens as things are powering up

any suggestions?

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #1,766 of 7,277
Anywhere have the tubes+sockets in stock? I've emailed about 8 places with no luck.

-Also is there a good beginner guide to point to point soldering, I've watched most of the tutorials on tangent's site but that focuses mainly on pcb stuff.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #1,768 of 7,277
The issue of leaving your headphones plugged in is pretty thoroughly covered in some earlier segments of this thread. In particular, starting with post 228 from Peter Millett:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/mil...ml#post4220313

As originally designed, or with a slightly increased cap value (e.g., "470s all around") there is no risk to your headphones, and with the modified cap values there isn't even much of a "thump" at all.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #1,769 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are not supposed to have the headphones plugged in when powering up or powering down. This could damage your phones.

As for the pausing issue, I have no idea.

using a cheap pair of headphones to test so i'm not worried about that and i was using it mainly as a comparison to what happens when i pause it

oddly enough it doesn't happen with my 4th gen ipod as a source, i only get really but popping when i unplug/plug the headphones in

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #1,770 of 7,277
Try tapping the input and output wires, so see if you are stressing a bad connection. Check the connections to the headphone and RCA jacks.

As for tubes, trying contacting the ebay seller the-radio-tube-supply-company. I got my tubes from him, but he might be out as he doesn't have anymore ebay auctions, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back