Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Dec 15, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #1,741 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by blynch1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does mouser sell wire, solder, or desolder braid and if so which one should I get for this project?

This should answer most of your questions:
Getting Started in Audio DIY

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #1,742 of 7,277
I've read quite a bit on tangent's site, but there are so many options on mouser I'd like for someone to just point me to the proper ones for this project.

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #1,743 of 7,277
In order to DIY you must, at some point, do some of it yourself.
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #1,746 of 7,277
Don't see anymore of the cisco ps on ebay. Best price I can find is like 15 used shipped in the US. Anyone know a cheaper place to buy?

I think I'll go with vacuumtube.net for the tubes they have them in stock for $4+shipping, so if you know a cheaper place for tubes let me know that as well.

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #1,747 of 7,277
Quote:

Don't see anymore of the cisco ps on ebay. Best price I can find is like 15 used shipped in the US. Anyone know a cheaper place to buy?

I think I'll go with vacuumtube.net for the tubes they have them in stock for $4+shipping, so if you know a cheaper place for tubes let me know that as well.

Try Ebay UK, you'll pay a few pounds in shipping but there are some good deals. I bought 3 for 1.50 each.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #1,748 of 7,277
It looks like all you guys bought every 19J6 tube. radiodaze and vacuumtube.net are out of stock.
I've got every other part on order, just short tubes. May have to pick them up off ebay, kinda pricey and I don't see sockets either.

Anyone have a 4 tubes+sockets sitting around they would like to get rid of, I can paypal you a a reasonable offer.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #1,749 of 7,277
Quote:

Not sure about used, but for a new PS I paid the same ~$14 shipped which was on par with what others have paid. For tubes it's a little more difficult, but just search tubes on google and probably 10+ tube vendors will appear. I ended up emailing a bunch of them and many said they had stock of them (~4-7/ea.). I haven't found any on eBay minus the occastional one.

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #1,750 of 7,277
Can someone give me some suggestions for troubleshooting?

My SSMH has developed a bit of hiss. Sort of like when you put on an LP before the music plays as the needle picks the scratches, debris etc.

Could it just be the tubes? Or should I open it up and take a close look at the mess of wires inside?

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #1,752 of 7,277
Hi guys

just joined to say after reading this thread over and over again past few days i decided to make one my self. just hope i do ok for my first ever diy amp.

and im totally impressed by mouser, ordered late Tuesday and it was here this morning not bad considering i live in the UK and shipping was free

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #1,753 of 7,277
Logistic, not sure if it does change with moving the tubes. It seems to come and go. It stays for most of the time though but it isn't just a constant hiss, it fluctuates a little bit. (Sort of like I described previously with the similarity to a record needle)

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #1,754 of 7,277
I just finished my amp, and I am blown away by it. Needless to say I'll be sticking to tubes for the foreseeable future.

Thanks to pmillett and everyone who's posts helped me out.

I was worried about his/hum but there is none as far as I can tell. It has a pitch black background. I used 470uf caps all around and am using a 1.25A power supply from a Cisco device.

Quick question: Tubes for these are getting rare, and I have two sets. One set is well matched but the other set is not. They are both GE brand but have different internal designs. One is also much brighter than the other. How audible are differences in tube design?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back