Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Dec 12, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #1,727 of 7,277
For thoes who have brought a RK271 pot from AMB or Beezar, are you able to advise me what type they are stocking?

Slotted or flat shaft and shaft length, looking for a nice aluminum konb. Thanks.

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #1,728 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zha50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For thoes who have brought a RK271 pot from AMB or Beezar, are you able to advise me what type they are stocking?

Slotted or flat shaft and shaft length, looking for a nice aluminum konb. Thanks.

Tangent also sells the same pot.
wink.gif

The part number is RK27112A-S25-C0-A503. Within that part number, "S25" means "Slotted" and "25" means a 25mm long shaft. However, that 25mm also includes 7mm of threads for the pot/shaft mounting nut. Needless to say, there's nothing wrong with trimming the shaft. Just make sure that you tape the rest of the pot up in a baggie or something similar, so that the metal dust doesn't get into the wiper mechanism.

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #1,729 of 7,277
I don't remember it being mentioned in this thread, but how much 'better' is the RK271 over the BOM Alpha?
I would think a good pot is best in this position as it is the first component the source signal goes though. Just weighing the options, as the RK271 is over 5 times the price + shipping of the Alpha.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #1,730 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stick 'em in the oven for a while. The pins are steel and the heat sinks are aluminum, and as a result have different coefficients of expansion.

Kudos and a tip-o-the-hat to luvdunhill
wink.gif

Used the wife's toaster oven, put my vice grips in the freezer for 5 min and when the "toast" was done, pulled all 4 pins out 1st try. Great tip !

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #1,731 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by zha50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't remember it being mentioned in this thread, but how much 'better' is the RK271 over the BOM Alpha?
I would think a good pot is best in this position as it is the first component the source signal goes though. Just weighing the options, as the RK271 is over 5 times the price + shipping of the Alpha.

Amb uses the RK27 in his B22. If you look at Tangent's tests of pots (http://www.tangentsoft.com/audio/atten.html), the RK27 tests better than at least one stepped attenuator, I believe.

That said, the little Alpha pot is fine for the SSMH, IMHO.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #1,732 of 7,277
What Tom said ^^

with the caveat that I had a problem with my amp that turned out to be the pot. I used an Alps RK097 that I had on hand to get it working again, but I have an RK27 on the way from Tom
wink.gif

btw, thanks for shipping it to be yesterday Tom!

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #1,736 of 7,277
I'm looking at making one of these for my first DIY projects.
I will be using this with denon D2000 and grado sr225, so are there any parts I should switch out to to optimize for either of these cans? I am starting with the stock BOM ordering from mouser.

Aside from the mouser BOM order it looks like I will need tubes/sockets, power supply, soldering iron, 63-37 solder(not sure what size), desoldering braid, small tweezers, wirestrippers, small wire cutters.

Anything I am missing? Also were is a good place to get all this stuff and if you could list a part number for the items you suggest that would help as well. If mouser sells good options for any of these a part number would help as well, I've browsed around a bit on their website, but it has way too much stuff to wade through.

I'd like to just order all of these tools online as there are no specialty electronic stores nearby except radio shack (so that is an option if you can recommend something from there).

-I'd also like to get my mouser order in sometime tomorrow, I am anxious to get started!

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #1,737 of 7,277
For the T220 mounting kit, get the thermasil type, 532 - 4880SG, otherwise you need thermal paste.

Also you might want to order another two film caps to bypass your output electrolytics (if you prefer).

Also, I've had a lot of trouble with the lead free silver solder from radioshack, I would not recommend it from personal experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back