Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Oct 14, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #1,366 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headphoneaddict who made it for you? I have the same RDS KIT but I just don't have the time to build it myself. School is keeping me busy. Of course I would pay her. Thanks

The builder is reading this thread an will contact you if that is doable - but she like many others are wary about accepting any money for the work, and would want approval of Pete Millett first. She did mine as a favor, and I sourced the case from my son's closet. My builder is also a student, so I am fortunate she found time to do this for me as well.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #1,368 of 7,277
Love the look of that car amp! I will hopefully be building a more modest version toward the end of the month.
A complete n00b at DIY amps, so see how it goes
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #1,370 of 7,277
I have heard of people using chip amps to power guitar amps. I have an LM3875 kit and an extra 2 SSMH and 2 extra SOHA tubes that I haven't used and wondered if anyone here is clever enough to design a pre-amp schematic utilizing either of these tubes.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #1,373 of 7,277
DIY 12AU7 - IRF612 MOSFET Hybrid Headphone Amplifier
(also a cheap/simple build)

I had wondered how this one would sound. I do have 2 extra tubes.

Speaker/guitar amps with different uses of the 12au7 (output and pre-amp)
AX84.com - The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project

The problem with the firefly is that it needs 3 of those tubes and it is only 1/2 watt. It would break up to early for jazz style playing (trying to get into jazz now). I do like the idea of using a tube preamp to go with my chipamp to give some warmth. I think in the end though tube power is the way to go for guitar amps.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #1,374 of 7,277
Hi m0b1liz3,
take AX84 Hi-Octane Tube Guitar Amplifier's schematic, it use 2 tubes (4 triodes) for preamp and is more universal for different distortion modes, than 1 tube preamp.
You can build whole amp (EL84 and small, not HI End output trafo is not expensive) or only preamp part. Connect chipamp to master volume pot output.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #1,375 of 7,277
Yeah, I was thinking of building that amp but I am not sure about the fact that is based on a marshall. Marshall's are known more for their distorted sound whereas Fenders are known for their tube clean sounds. I am thinking of building a 5E3 style amp. Just trying to source out the parts. Since this is more for jazz, the AX84 may not be as well suited. If you have built one though and disagree, let me know!

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #1,377 of 7,277
got most of my soldering done today. Just need to finish a few things before I go buy a chassis. A bit messy but I think it will be ok once I get it all organized into a chassis.

This is only my 2nd project (1st was just a desktop cmoy).

img3654lq7.jpg

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #1,378 of 7,277
you'll find it is easier to solder point to point if you wait to do the soldering until after you have fixed parts like the tube sockets, pot, switches, etc to the chassis.

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #1,380 of 7,277
I still have to trim the pot shaft, but apart from that my second SS is finished. This time I went a bit overboard and used boutique parts: Elna Cerafine caps (I found them on Italian ebay pretty cheap), Obbligato caps, and a Blue Velvet pot. The case is a Hammond 1591D, plastic as it's easier to drill, and the finished amp is already pretty heavy anyway.

I planned a lot this build before receving all the parts, as the case is pretty small and the caps big, and I could have saved myself some time: the planned build had a problem (probably a blown Mosfet) and the way I fit everything together made the amp impossible to debug. So I desoldered everything, found an alternative layout, and when I finished reassembling I only got a loud buzz in both channels. I disassembled half of the components before noticing I had forgot to ground the pot...

A pretty instructive couple of days.
smily_headphones1.gif
At first listen and without burnin it sounds great, with more bass and clearer sound than my previous SS. Pics (click for larger images):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back