Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Oct 12, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #1,351 of 7,277
Just wondering if anyone can check my digikey order just to make sure i'm not missing anything or if any of the hardware wont work

The electrical components are what tomb suggested earlier to me

tubes, sockets, power supply are all on their way, knob will be salvaged from cmoy
biggrin.gif

BOM found here

http://members.shaw.ca/moxmonkey/starving_bom-2.xls

thanks in advance

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #1,352 of 7,277
Looks pretty good. I like the Panasonic FC caps.

There are a few things you might consider changing, though:
  1. Use the 0.22uf interstage film caps. 0.1uf has been spec'd, but 0.22uf will ensure no loss of frequencies and is very little different in size or price - BC1858-ND
  2. You only need an SPST power switch. CH866-ND is a bit cheaper with fewer lugs to worry about.
  3. You're better off with heat sinks that have 1" wide fins. The ones you have selected are only 1/2". Try HS276-ND (1.5", screw mount), HS374-ND (2" pins), HS347-ND (2" pins). The last one is actually for TO-218, but it may work OK if the others are out-of-stock.

Finally, I know there aren't any good stereo pot selections from DigiKey except the Panasonic EVJ. Unlike a lot of people around here, I actually like that pot. However, it doesn't track well at low positions on the dial (leakage at zero, channel imbalance, etc.). Also, it's one heckuva difficult pot to air-wire. They're really designed to be snapped into a PCB with those side tabs. That way, the very close and tiny pins are not an issue to wire up. If you do go with it, I suggest using a small piece of perf-board at the pins to help give the pins and wiring some structure and strength.

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #1,353 of 7,277
i knew i had forgotten something, after reading through this entire thread for the up to date tweaks i forgot to update the other caps but you caught that

power switch makes sense, i missed that searching and could only find the dpst(?) version

the heatsink i completely missed the fin size but since it was for the to-220 and looked similar (minus the pins) i figured it would work

as for the pot, air wiring i'm assuming just is wiring it when attached to the chassis alone? if so that shouldn't be a major issue, it's the same pot i used on the cmoy i built and yah it was a bit of a pain but not all that bad

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #1,360 of 7,277
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I received a call from Radiodaze about my order this morning, and apparently they are out of the 19j6 tubes
frown.gif
Where else would be good to order them from?

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #1,364 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TheTubeCenter.com
19j6 $3.00 each
SK-7 socket $2.00 each

Thanks, Ordered. They seem to be the cheapest out of sites that still have the tubes in stock. Some were wanting $6-10 per tube
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back