Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Sep 5, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #1,201 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will take pictures.
If any of you have enough courage to try it - let me know.
Unless you actually try it and think it makes stuff sound worse...I don't see the sense in arguing this.

I think Doug is taking issue with the liberties you're taking with seemingly technical terms like "feedback". And regardless of your individual impressions of the sonic differences of lowering the performance of the amp (raising the output impedance, for example) you can't honestly expect us to sit idly by while you trumpet them as triumphs, can you?

Quote:

"Master Ground" as in directly to the ground plane instead of the ground on the switched 1/4 jack.

So that'd be just ground then.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #1,202 of 7,277
Hi, I asked this a bit ago, but in a different forum (I think) and didn't see a response. With my AKG K340 phones connected (1/2 dynamic, 1/2 electrostatic), it appears that the electrostatic drivers cut-out or turn-off when I touch the volume knob of the amp. Any ideas on what this may indicate about the amp or about the wiring of my modded phones? My very beginner-guess is that it has something to do with grounding...perhaps the ground signal circuit is closed in a not-so-helpful way by me? The amp works flawlessly otherwise, and of course this problem is not present with dyanmic-only phones like the HD600.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #1,203 of 7,277
I'm sure you can guess what this is. I added an led pilot light (cause I had one lying around), 220K resistors to reduce the input signal and used 390uF caps instead of the 150uF shown on the schematic. My three year old (and I) had a great time helping me tighten the screws. Sounds great.

Kuroguy

ssha.jpg

sshaout.jpg

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #1,204 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you can guess what this is. I added an led pilot light (cause I had one lying around), 220K resistors to reduce the input signal and used 390uF caps instead of the 150uF shown on the schematic. My three year old (and I) had a great time helping me tighten the screws. Sounds great.

Kuroguy

sshaout.jpg

When do you plan to install the BUG EYED monster tubes?

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #1,205 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When do you plan to install the BUG EYED monster tubes?

Built an 832 amp about a year ago. Haven't found funds for the 829 tubes I have yet.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #1,209 of 7,277
Is there any interest for a pre-drilled Hifi2000 case? I called them 5 minutes ago and spoke to the owner, if we find 15-20 people the cost will be acceptable (at least in the EU).

To pre-drill a case they need to set up the machines, and between that and the actual drilling it takes 2-3 hrs, for a max cost of 135 euros. Once they are set up, drilling 1 case or 30 or 50 does not change costs. So if there's 15-20 people interested, we could think about placing an order, and maybe engrave the panels too.

Better yet would be if someone in the US made full kits for the BOM, so that with the pre-drilled case and the kit people could buy everything they need to build a beautiful SS, and concentrate only on soldering and mounting connectors etc.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #1,211 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any interest for a pre-drilled Hifi2000 case? I called them 5 minutes ago and spoke to the owner, if we find 15-20 people the cost will be acceptable (at least in the EU).

To pre-drill a case they need to set up the machines, and between that and the actual drilling it takes 2-3 hrs, for a max cost of 135 euros. Once they are set up, drilling 1 case or 30 or 50 does not change costs. So if there's 15-20 people interested, we could think about placing an order, and maybe engrave the panels too.

Better yet would be if someone in the US made full kits for the BOM, so that with the pre-drilled case and the kit people could buy everything they need to build a beautiful SS, and concentrate only on soldering and mounting connectors etc.

I'm interested. It wouldn't hurt to have a second one of these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
135 euros??? How much more is that than the total BOM of this project?? heh... not very starving student
tongue_smile.gif

From how I read it, that's the set up cost that covers 30-50 cases. Even if it's 20, that's less than 7 per case, which seems reasonable to me. Especially for people who don't have stepped drill bits. They're not cheap and without them, I'm not sure how you'd drill the holes for the tube sockets.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #1,213 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
135 euros??? How much more is that than the total BOM of this project?? heh... not very starving student
tongue_smile.gif

135 euros to punch perfect holes in 30 or 40 cases? It does not seem like much to me...
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: As usual, I replied before reading later posts. I will open up a new thread soon so that we can sort out who is interested.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #1,215 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...snip...

Especially for people who don't have stepped drill bits. They're not cheap and without them, I'm not sure how you'd drill the holes for the tube sockets.

Personally, I was able to make do with a $12 set of spade bits from Lowes, but my case was wood while it appears most others are using metal (and having a terribly lacking knowledge of tools, I don't know if the spades would be appropriate for that or not). All told I spent $14 on my casing - twelve of it for the bits, the other two on the thrift store cigar box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back