Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Sep 4, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #1,173 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynxkcg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used both comair rotron and aavid headsinks, I stuck em in the oven for 10 mins at 450 and the pins pulled right off with vice grips. I used plenty of lube (breakfree CLP) and they tapped nice and smoothly for screws.

nate:

you doubted me?
L3000.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #1,175 of 7,277
That is part of my goal - removing the output caps.

Output caps really don' do anything to "help" overal sound quality because even the very best caps don't sound better that good ole' fashion wire.

That is part of the reason for the external power supply that is low leakage, higher ampage, and more linear.

Actually, I am thinking of making a B1 preamp (a new passive pre-amp design by Pass, can be done pretty cheap too!) into the same style case and have the three compoenent stacked on each other. Tower of power style!

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #1,176 of 7,277
Germania, Did you try using the MMSH as a pre-amp? I would be wanting tube sound coming out of the speakers too if possible.

Too bad there aren't very many small simple tube speaker amp designs out there.

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #1,177 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Germania, Did you try using the MMSH as a pre-amp? I would be wanting tube sound coming out of the speakers too if possible.

Too bad there aren't very many small simple tube speaker amp designs out there.

Have you looked at Pete Millett's website (http://www.pmillett.com)? He has quite a few to pick from. Granted, none of them are as simple as the SSMH, but they drive a lot more than a couple of flea speakers. His Hybrid Amp with Adjustable Damping Factor is particularly interesting. If you can snag a couple of 6GM8's, it might be a great one to try - low voltage and all.

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #1,178 of 7,277
tomb, It was my plan to build a speaker amp later since I already have too much stuff to move as it is! I still don't know if I am staying in Aus permanently. I might move back to Canada or the states if I can get on to a training program. But I will have to take a closer look at Pete's site.

In the short term it was my plan to use the Millet ss as a pre-amp to my amp 6 basic. Has anyone done this yet? Were the results acceptable?

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #1,179 of 7,277
Quote:

Has anyone done this yet? Were the results acceptable?

Yes, I have and I said a few times now that I think it's a bad idea. But maybe at this point I should just give you the answer you want. Just don't blame me when your woofers get blown
rolleyes.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #1,180 of 7,277
I have it running as a pre-amp as we speak and it sounds quite good actually.

I was directly comparing the sound from my Zhaolu>Millet> Receiver amp section to the Receiver's dac conversion and the first setup sounds better by a large margin.

Granted that right now I am using the Infinity SL-30's which I would consider a Lower Medium-Level speaker set as far as that craziness is concerned. The Tube-ness really gives these speakers a much more solid Bass response. The sound quality is much more realistic and the soundstage is better as well.

Now, keep in mind that I am using a Receiver and not a standard power amp. This may be one of the reasons why I am able to use this as a preamp and not have issues like those potential ones discussed earlier.

Sorry guys, but the ears do not lie and to me - this setup certainly doesn't suck.

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #1,181 of 7,277
The simple fact remains that this design has got way more gain than most people would ever want in a preamp. That said, no one is going to come to your house and unplug it if you try and use it that way. Just bear in mind that you use it at your own risk and against the advice of more than just a few folks who've been at this for a long time.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #1,182 of 7,277
Yeah, my setup is probably MUCH different than anyone here.

I should note that the knob is set at 10 o'clock.
Plus it is being set into a 100W/channel amp going out to speakers that can handle more power than that.

I tested this with my planars and it was not pretty.

It is a use at your own risk thing.

Also, you will want to mod the output to the pre-amp outs if you decide to do it. I added a capacitor to that output. Not a high value at all, but it did make a difference.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #1,183 of 7,277
As far as the pre-amp output...

I added a small resistor in the signal path of each channel and a .1uF film capacitor going between the signal out and the ground out of each channel.
I found that those mods fixed the general issue I had when I first tried this as a straight pre-amp (speakers were sounding noisy).

YMMV!

Generally though, you will get better results from a piece of equipment that is meant for that purpose being used for that purpose. I really hope that there is no one here who is thinking of making one of these as a pre-amp in their system when there are so many cheap and good pre-amp designs on the net. It is part of the reason why I am looking the the B1 - cheap, easy-ish build and small footprint.

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #1,184 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I have and I said a few times now that I think it's a bad idea. But maybe at this point I should just give you the answer you want. Just don't blame me when your woofers get blown
rolleyes.gif

I know it is not the ideal way to build a pre-amp but I didn't want to build another tube pre-amp for a desktop system when I plan on doing this for my full sized system later. If it sounds horrible or has too much noise I can just go back to how I am using my amp 6 currently with the line out from my sound card controlling the volume.

I just thought it made sense to wire it up so that it could be used as a pre-amp since the additional cost is minimal. If I can inject some tube warmth to my desktop speakers then great, if not then I will only loose out on the extra $5 I spent on parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back