Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jul 31, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #811 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres my 3 hr mini millet, making lovely sound. I used 470uf pana fc caps, and wima mkp10 330nf film caps.

good bass, lovely valvey mids, slightly recessed highs which i expect to develop with a bit of burn in.

Can you post pics of the internals? Thanks =)

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #812 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I seriously need to revisit my schematic reading ability - but, in the meantime the amp is alive.
biggrin.gif

Thanks a ton for the help!

Good to hear that! Enjoy...

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #813 of 7,277
jojononline- i will post pics of internals tonight (uk). As yo can imagine, there isnt much room in that little case.

Cheers

Adam.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #814 of 7,277
Sorry if this is redundant. Just curious what tubes folks are using and how the sound signature might vary among the different brands. I ordered some for my build and received both Raytheon and RCA. Are there any in particular to get or to avoid?

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #815 of 7,277
I've only been using the RCAs and don't find anything objectionable about them. And being the oddball tube the 19J6 is I'd be willing to bet that there were only a few manufacturers and just lots of rebranding going on.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #816 of 7,277
I have Delco tubes. I have no idea who actually made them. I don't know how they compare to any other tubes since this is the first tube amp I've owned.

I assume since I have Delco tubes that these were originally used in car radios. I would think that would make NOS ones somewhat common. Does anyone know when car radios switched from tubes to chips? I remember going to the hardware store with my father to get tubes for TVs and home radios. I don't remember him changing tubes in the car. Although I don't remember a car radio back then either so we may not have had one.

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #817 of 7,277
I have a pair of Sylvanias and an RCA Victor; along with a Hytron that appears to be an RCA rebrand. I can't discern any difference between them from a sound standpoint.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #818 of 7,277
I've got a handful of Muse caps here but I can't bring myself to turn off the amp to put em in. It's got UHE caps in there now. It's been running constantly since I built it despite falling off my desk twice. :O

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #819 of 7,277
Quote:

I've got a handful of Muse caps here but I can't bring myself to turn off the amp to put em in. It's got UHE caps in there now. It's been running constantly since I built it despite falling off my desk twice. :O

I found the Muse were a very nice improvement over the UHE, but they should be bypassed with film caps like the big brother Millets.
I'm interested to hear your impressions.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #820 of 7,277
I have a few WIMA .1uf caps, but would it be worth the wait to order some PIOs? And would silmic IIs sound better bypassed in the same manner? Sorry, I don't have much experience with how this stuff sounds, its hard without some frame of reference.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #821 of 7,277
I haven't tried Silmics in the signal path, so I can't say. Wima Mkps are work very well with the Muse ES.
...I just realized you never said if they were ES (the green ones). So I was just assuming they are.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #824 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynxkcg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been running constantly since I built it despite falling off my desk twice. :O

Mine has fallen twice too. It's just too light. I need to put lead weights in it or something
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #825 of 7,277
mine ate a tube last night. I turned it off and about 30 seconds later i hear a ping. The tube has shattered round the base! thats a first!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back