Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jul 31, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #797 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just wire up the Millet SS to have pre outs with a resistor in line and a switch to go from HP amp to pre?

I want a pre because I want tone controls. Some of my vintage cans are a little light on bass but respond well to judicious use of bass boost.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #798 of 7,277
I have a aluminium hammon case which I will be soldering the heatsings directly to.

I also have a pot and dc input which are metal and which ground the case sides.

Will this be ok?
The heatsinks are connected to the mosfets using the beezar heatsink kit.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #799 of 7,277
My heat sinks are soldered onto the ground plate. I used the Mouser mounting kits and have no problem.

I don't know about the pot and the power jack grounding. The ground pin in the power jack I used is connected to the threaded body, so I'd guess that it wouldn't matter, but that's a guess that I'd want verified, as you do
wink_face.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #800 of 7,277
As long as you wire the center pin of the power jack as the "positive" and you use the recommended VOIP power supply, then everything will be negatively grounded - including the metal body of the power jack and the case.

That's the desired way to do it.
wink.gif

P.S. I'm not sure you'll have much luck soldering to aluminum.
I found this excerpt on the Internet:
Quote:

Tin the aluminum under oil, then solder as normal.

Aluminum normally won't accept regular solder. That's because
of the oxide coating on its surface. By covering the surface with
oil, you can scrape away the oxide coating while preventing oxygen
getting to the surface and reforming it. You can then tin the surface
with an iron, through the oil coating, and get a proper bond. Then
you can clean the oil off and solder as usual.

I don't know if you want to try that, though.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #801 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by procalli2007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a aluminium hammon case which I will be soldering the heatsinks directly to.

I know this has been discussed before, with different folks having different results, but I was able to back out the posts on my heatsinks using a pair of vise grips, and then attached them using 4-40 screws. May be worth a try, but I can't guarantee the results for your heatsinks, just saying it worked on mine without a problem.

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #802 of 7,277
I tried, but not too hard, so I wasn't successful. Considering what a pain it was soldering them to the ground plate with a 15W soldering iron, I wish I'd spent more time trying to do it.

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #803 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'll be darned.... Indeed I did.

Sorry if thats what you were trying to get across earlier, I thought you were saying that it looked like I bridged pin 1 on the mosfets together.

Update: Well, those resistors weren't whats keeping the tubes from firing.

It's hard to describe things based on the pics, but looking at the close up of the terminal strip with the yellow power wire, it looks like the gate on the Mosfet (pin 1) is not attached in the correct place. It looks like it is attached to the fourth lug on the terminal strip, but it needs to be attached to the second lug, with a 2K resistor between the lug and the gate.

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #804 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard to describe things based on the pics, but looking at the close up of the terminal strip with the yellow power wire, it looks like the gate on the Mosfet (pin 1) is not attached in the correct place. It looks like it is attached to the fourth lug on the terminal strip, but it needs to be attached to the second lug, with a 2K resistor between the lug and the gate.

Looks like I seriously need to revisit my schematic reading ability - but, in the meantime the amp is alive.
biggrin.gif

Thanks a ton for the help!

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #805 of 7,277
Quote:

I have a aluminium hammon case which I will be soldering the heatsings directly to.

More like welding if want to try that
tongue.gif

But Tomb has a cool suggestion. I've never tried it but it sounds feasible.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #806 of 7,277
from parts to sound in 3 hours!

sounds suprisingly good, not on par with my soha + jisbos but still good.

I will post pics in a bit

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #807 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you wire the center pin of the power jack as the "positive" and you use the recommended VOIP power supply, then everything will be negatively grounded - including the metal body of the power jack and the case.

That's the desired way to do it.
wink.gif

P.S. I'm not sure you'll have much luck soldering to aluminum.
I found this excerpt on the Internet:

I don't know if you want to try that, though.
wink.gif

Could I glue it to the case?

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #808 of 7,277
Heres my 3 hr mini millet, making lovely sound. I used 470uf pana fc caps, and wima mkp10 330nf film caps.

good bass, lovely valvey mids, slightly recessed highs which i expect to develop with a bit of burn in.

img9247xw2.jpg

img9249wo6.jpg

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #809 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by procalli2007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could I glue it to the case?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. If you do, probably JB-Weld would be the way to go.

However, there's a reason Pete included the copper board in his BOM. The idea is that you're supposed to sandwich the top of the case between the heat sinks and the copper plate. That way, you can solder the heat sink pins to the copper and the case lid is held in place. If you study his very first pic, that's how he attached the whole thing to a wallet tin.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. There's always TimJo's suggestion of pulling the pins and using screws, too - but it won't give you the grounding advantage of the copper plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back