Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Nov 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #4,126 of 7,277
Exactly. Civil is about roads, grading, etc. I don't say that in a bad way. Whatever floats your boat. I've been a mechanical engineer for almost 20 years and can't imagine doing anything else. I've got friends that are civil engineers (and structural which is a specialized civil) and they're pretty cool too. Personally, I can't imagine being an EE or even a civil engineer, but I'm sure it would be cool for someone that is into that sort of thing. Fact is, I've got friends with Civil degrees doing mechanical, mechanical friends doing EE and others doing all other disciplines then their degrees. In all honesty, the important part is the engineering, regardless of the type. Good luck with it. It is the most rewarding of the things I've done in my entire life aside from growing my family.

... and yes, civil = dirt (silicon) which implies solid state. Engineers (whatever type) are masters of adapting things to do other things. It's what we do. I hope you make it through the curriculum and become a member of the club. Its somewhat exclusive as clubs go, but the company is some of the most interesting you'll ever find. I suspect it is the most popular of careers around here as the degree tends to attract the tinkering type.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #4,127 of 7,277
I have a problem with my amp. I bought the kit from tomb and built it, but one channel comes through quite a bit louder than the other. What would be the easiest way to fix it?

P.S. I really like this discussion on engineering, as I've applied to Iowa State for engineering next year.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #4,128 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by swedishhatfaction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have the coveted 19J6 in the warehouse -- but just don't quite know where yet...

I hope you told them how many people are anxiously awaiting that find
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #4,129 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. I really like this discussion on engineering, as I've applied to Iowa State for engineering next year.

I'm a freshman in ECE and I'm bummed because I don't get to take any circuit-related classes until at least my sophomore year. Gen eds are lame
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #4,130 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a problem with my amp. I bought the kit from tomb and built it, but one channel comes through quite a bit louder than the other. What would be the easiest way to fix it?

First, check the resistance of each input resistor to make sure something amiss didn't happen there. Second, if that doesn't reveal a tell-tale mis-match, then try swapping the tubes. If the louder channel follows the tubes, then there's a mis-match. Let us know what you find out and we'll go from there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #4,131 of 7,277
Well, I'm having one last odd problem. Occasionally, out of one channel and one channel only, (always the same one) there is a short burst of noise which sounds to me like white noise. It is always a consistent duration, and I have isolated the amplifier as the source; I also swapped tubes to rule them out. Being not terribly knowledgeable about electronics (as the high school student I am), the only things I can think of are intermittent shorts, which I would think would cut the sound completely and be inconsistent, or a problem with one of the capacitors. Anyone else have ideas?

I'm using the PCB build.

EDIT: I just thought I would say this before the "It's a DAC problem" posts start. It's happened on my X-Fi, my integrated audio, and my 0404. I thought it must have been something in the D/A conversion, but apparently not.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #4,133 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm having one last odd problem. Occasionally, out of one channel and one channel only, (always the same one) there is a short burst of noise which sounds to me like white noise. It is always a consistent duration, and I have isolated the amplifier as the source; I also swapped tubes to rule them out. Being not terribly knowledgeable about electronics (as the high school student I am), the only things I can think of are intermittent shorts, which I would think would cut the sound completely and be inconsistent, or a problem with one of the capacitors. Anyone else have ideas?

I'm using the PCB build.

EDIT: I just thought I would say this before the "It's a DAC problem" posts start. It's happened on my X-Fi, my integrated audio, and my 0404. I thought it must have been something in the D/A conversion, but apparently not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd try reflowing all the joints in that channel. Easy and a good thing to rule out.

Along that line, you might look into the ground connections with the signal wiring. I mention this a lot, but if you somehow get a bad or intermittent ground connection, it can cause a huge blast of static through your headphones. This may be hard to detect, too. Depending on which side of the PCB you solder the terminal block, the ground plane may be invisible to the solder joint. If the through-hole plating is missing (re-soldering, removing the part, etc.), then the ground connection won't be made. I've had this happen on a couple of prototype amps where I played around the the terminal block for various reasons. I ended up soldering a jumper on the bottom of the board to the middle pin of the terminal block.

Also, be careful of your signal input wiring itself - if that's been removed/replaced a number of times, the wire end can get so compressed that the terminal block screw can't make a connection. All of this can cause that blast of static you describe.

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #4,134 of 7,277
That's what I meant kuroguy
tongue.gif
You're spot on.
The engineering-part is most important, and here in belgium, being a civil engineer you can do it all, focussing on the engineering (with the spcializations you choose from there) and we don't focus on the 'civil' part that much, so it doesn't mean 'outdoors/bridges/..' around here. As you said, you have friends that are civil and do mechanical stuff. That's the sole reason I wanna go for civil engineering (here in belgium) because I don't want to narrow down ANYTHING yet. I like it all, as long as it envolves numbers. Though I'm hoping I can go for mechanical.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #4,135 of 7,277
On topic: I've gotten that burst of white noise you describe on two of my sound systems. One with the SSMH and another with my 832PP amp. It is not (obviously, in my case) isolated to the SSMH. I suspect it is a buffer underflow and is generated in either the USB DAC (sorry to say) or possibly generated by the Linux boxes I have feeding the DACs.

Off Topic:Mechanical and Civil engineering (at least at my ABET accredited school) were almost identical for about the first 3 years and the remaining 1.5 years (before the comments start regarding the extra semester, engineering was 142 credits.) specialized in each particular discipline. In most (if not all) of the united states the PE license is non disciplinary and engineers are permitted to sign any work "in which they are competent". If you know what you are doing, feel free to sign it. it is up to the engineer to know their limitations. Good engineers do, bad ones don't.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #4,136 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>
Off Topic:Mechanical and Civil engineering (at least at my ABET accredited school) were almost identical for about the first 3 years and the remaining 1.5 years (before the comments start regarding the extra semester, engineering was 142 credits.) specialized in each particular discipline. In most (if not all) of the united states the PE license is non disciplinary and engineers are permitted to sign any work "in which they are competent". If you know what you are doing, feel free to sign it. it is up to the engineer to know their limitations. Good engineers do, bad ones don't.

OK ... I know you mean well, but this goes against the Professional Engineering Code of Ethics, IMHO. The whole intent of the idea of "competence" is intended to mean that you never sign off on drawings in a discipline for which you have not been trained. From the Code of Ethics:
Quote:

Engineers shall perform services only in the areas of their competence.
  1. Engineers shall undertake assignments only when qualified by education or experience in the specific technical fields involved.
  1. Engineers shall not affix their signatures to any plans or documents dealing with subject matter in which they lack competence, nor to any plan or document not prepared under their direction and control.

Note the emphasis on "qualified by education or experience." The Engineer who gains true discipline experience in an industry that's outside of his specific educational training is very rare. You don't graduate with a Mechanical Engineering degree, then get hired to do electrical engineering. There are instances where it happens, but I submit that experience of that sort is very cursory (on the level of a "designer/draftsman") and not founded in sound engineering principles, unless you've had the educational background, first. There are cases in small firms where some cook-book designs are stamped by a single engineer, but it's usually the firm's principal who takes on that responsibility - and it's almost always a risk.

Also, it's true that many states (most?) make no distinction on discipline when awarding the PE registration or when stamping and signing drawings, but the PE exam itself is most definitely discipline-specific. It's up to you and your individual ethics as a Professional Engineer whether you stretch that loop hole and start stamping/signing drawings outside of your discipline.

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #4,137 of 7,277
I'm really interested in building this amp. It sounds like a really fun first amp to build, and I might have to build it just for the fun factor. The thing is, I'm in to a pretty bright sound with high frequency clarity, and from what I've read, this amp is very warm and tubey. I'm currently between headphones, as I found the hd650's to be a little bit too bassy with not enough clarity and brightness in the higher frequencies. I tried to read through peoples signatures to see what they were using with their ssmh but didn't get much. Do you guys think that this is an amp that I could end up enjoying listening to, or is the sound seriously colored?

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #4,138 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by akdmx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested in building this amp. It sounds like a really fun first amp to build, and I might have to build it just for the fun factor. The thing is, I'm in to a pretty bright sound with high frequency clarity, and from what I've read, this amp is very warm and tubey. I'm currently between headphones, as I found the hd650's to be a little bit too bassy with not enough clarity and brightness in the higher frequencies. I tried to read through peoples signatures to see what they were using with their ssmh but didn't get much. Do you guys think that this is an amp that I could end up enjoying listening to, or is the sound seriously colored?

The idea that tubes are "colored" is unjustified. In most cases, it's the capacitors that are colored, not the tubes. There's also an entire camp that believes solid-state is the "colored" alternative, not tubes.
wink.gif

That said, you will probably never hear a more realistic mid-range than you will with a tube or tube-sounding amp. With Senns IMHO, that combination is lovely. If you're looking for "bright", though, perhaps you should try some Grados. I have both and like each one for certain situations, but I find myself reaching for Grados more often. Some people hate 'em, some love 'em. That argument will go on as long as they keep making them, though.
wink.gif
The SSMH has enough voltage swing and enough current bias to handle both impedances and type of headphones more than adequately.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #4,139 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK ... I know you mean well, but this goes against the Professional Engineering Code of Ethics, IMHO. The whole intent of the idea of "competence" is intended to mean that you never sign off on drawings in a discipline for which you have not been trained. From the Code of Ethics:

Note the emphasis on "qualified by education or experience." The Engineer who gains true discipline experience in an industry that's outside of his specific educational training is very rare. You don't graduate with a Mechanical Engineering degree, then get hired to do electrical engineering. There are instances where it happens, but I submit that experience of that sort is very cursory (on the level of a "designer/draftsman") and not founded in sound engineering principles, unless you've had the educational background, first. There are cases in small firms where some cook-book designs are stamped by a single engineer, but it's usually the firm's principal who takes on that responsibility - and it's almost always a risk.

Also, it's true that many states (most?) make no distinction on discipline when awarding the PE registration or when stamping and signing drawings, but the PE exam itself is most definitely discipline-specific. It's up to you and your individual ethics as a Professional Engineer whether you stretch that loop hole and start stamping/signing drawings outside of your discipline.

The important word in the rule above is "or". My formal training is in mechanical engineering with a total of 6 credits (all that were offered) in Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC). my experience is extensively in HVAC, plumbing, and fire protection. There are exactly 0 credits in the ABET program for fire protection. My experience and knowledge in my field of expertise is vastly greater than what I was taught in college. In fact, most newly graduated engineers know very little about what I do. Engineering school does not teach what I do. It teaches engineers how to think and gives them a basis on which to grow their experience. I am more than competent to design or troubleshoot any HVAC system or problem that you can throw at me. I am exactly what the board of professional engineers considers "Competent" in HVAC design.

I have from my curriculum, 6 credits in circuits - exactly the same amount of credits in HVAC. I am by no means competent to sign electrical documents (with the exception that I have on several occasions sealed electrical that was incidental to mechanical such as replacing feeders to a piece of mechanical equipment but only when I was absolutely sure I was cprrect in the work. I would never seal a full electrical drawing. I'm sure I'm not competent to do that.

I've done forensic engineering in several cases where I was deemed competent to such an extent where the opposing side withdrew their claim against my clients. Once with respect to damage to a roof. I have exactly 0 credits in roofing.

I could go on making the exact same argument regarding fire pumps, fire sprinklers, plumbing (I've taken exactly 0 credits on waste and vent systems and domestic water systems). I am more competent to sign these types of designs than the vast majority of engineers and would easily stand muster should I ever be questioned by any board of engineers.

My point here is that the almost all of the experience all engineers (including, I'll guess, you) have is gained in the field, and making a blanket statement such as the one you did is unfair, to say the least.

I greatly value your advice regarding tube amps. I would say you are competent to design the amps for which you have published designs here. I think I'm correct when I say that you know your limitations. That's the sign of a good engineer.

As experienced engineers, we are all greater than the sum of just our degrees, and education is a life long thing.

Respectfully,

Kuroguy, P.E.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #4,140 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get them all over -- Digikey and Mouser both carry them, as do Parts Connexion, AES, etc. You can also just use the terminal strips Pete used in the original in two rows for the same effect. This is point to point how it is really meant to be done. We'd just need a reproducible layout.
<snip>

Well maybe I could help here. I used Pete Millett's picture as the pattern to build my first 19J6 P2P "Starving Student".

starvinginside.jpg

This is how mine came out:

dsc04681i.jpg

Notice how my terminal strips are aligned just like in Pete's original build. The same goes for R1/R7, C2/C4 and C3/C5.

When a couple months later I converted that amp to use 12AU7's, all I had to do circuit-wise, besides updating a couple resistors with new value ones, was redo the connections to the tube socket pins; the rest of the amp stayed exactly the same.

So basically I think Pete Millett's original P2P layout is quite good and maybe with minor improvements could be used to build any of the known variants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cravenz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mm..i notice some people use this setup for the k70x series and I was wondering how that fared or would the canamp or ef1 still be a better choice?

Unfortunately I cannot compare since I don't own a canamp or an ef1. But I love the way my K701's sound with the MSSH, warm, punchy, and the amp has more than enough power to drive those hungry cans (more than my WA6 with stock tubes). And of course you can't beat the price of the SS !!
k701smile.gif

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back