Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
May 19, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #3,181 of 7,277
Quote:

First, turn-on thump is unavoidable - but not 4 consecutive ones. What you're experiencing is the turn-on "stutter" caused by the combination of too-small power caps and the switching power supply. Through trial and error, we've found that at least 680uf for the power caps will stop the stutter.

Cool. Is that 680uf per cap or total?
In either case, I'm not making any orders till I get back to Chicago after the summer.. but I have a couple 100uF 50v caps on-hand that I can add after the power switch. Hopefully, that'll alleviate the problem for now.

May 19, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #3,182 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In either case, I'm not making any orders till I get back to Chicago after the summer.. but I have a couple 100uF 50v caps on-hand that I can add after the power switch. Hopefully, that'll alleviate the problem for now.

That's 680uf per cap (power caps). However, that doesn't mean that parts list applies to a P2P version. I'm just stating that it's the best for the PCB. The power supply on each of mine still stutter - at least once on startup, but it's brief. I think this is variable depending on how much total capacitance is used on the board and also the ratio between the values of the power caps vs. the values of the output coupling caps. Plus, adding tube LEDs complicates the mix. So, I'm not sure we can ever guarantee that stuttering will be prevented. It's best just to take proper precautions and not have a pair of headphones plugged in when you turn the amp on.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #3,183 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The production version I finished recently with that parts spec I listed above is really something special - as good as I've heard anywhere near the price it takes to build one of these. As with most of Pete's stuff - really something special - and Dsavitsk's additions have taken it to a new level.

I admit that I have a soft spot for Pete's SS, to me it is that -- special. The additions is just the icing on the cake.
wink.gif

May 20, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #3,185 of 7,277
Ok, so with the octal socket the conversions were:

1,2 -> 6
5,6 -> 2
3,4 -> 7,8
7->3

does that mean that originally we were connecting 5 and 6 together, which went to the pot, but now, we just connect the pot to pin 2 of the octal socket?

This makes sense, and I know it was stated to connect pin 1 of octal to ground, but what do you connect pins 4 and 5 to of the octal socket?

May 20, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3,186 of 7,277
and if anyone is online on AIM right now that could answer a couple of questions for me, that would be so awesome. my screenname is cmspearman02, thanks soo much

May 20, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #3,187 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by cms5423 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so with the octal socket the conversions were:

1,2 -> 6
5,6 -> 2
3,4 -> 7,8
7->3

does that mean that originally we were connecting 5 and 6 together, which went to the pot, but now, we just connect the pot to pin 2 of the octal socket?

This makes sense, and I know it was stated to connect pin 1 of octal to ground, but what do you connect pins 4 and 5 to of the octal socket?

You want to ground pins 4 and 5.

May 20, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #3,188 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It'll work best to add them to the second cap after the resistor, C6 I believe.

May 20, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3,189 of 7,277
so ground pins 1 4 and 5 from the octal socket? Sounds good. i may have more questions, i'm mapping it all out on paper right now

May 20, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #3,190 of 7,277
Also, with the octal socket, 3,4-->7,8: does that mean what was pin 3 on the 7 pin socket is now pin 7 on the octal, and 4 is now pin 8 on the octal?

May 20, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #3,191 of 7,277
Quote:

Also, with the octal socket, 3,4-->7,8: does that mean what was pin 3 on the 7 pin socket is now pin 7 on the octal, and 4 is now pin 8 on the octal?

Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear.

May 20, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #3,192 of 7,277
I just want to double check then: on the octal: pins 1, 4, 5, and 8 are all grounded, 2 goes to the pot, 3 is grounded with R5/R11, 6 is connected to both C2/C4 and R1/R7, and 7 goes to the mosfets and C3/C5 on to the output?

May 20, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #3,193 of 7,277
Quote:

I just want to double check then: on the octal: pins 1, 4, 5, and 8 are all grounded, 2 goes to the pot, 3 is grounded with R5/R11, 6 is connected to both C2/C4 and R1/R7, and 7 goes to the mosfets and C3/C5 on to the output?

Yep looks good to me. I apologize if people feel this conversation should be held over PM. I felt that other people might find this information useful later. If the mods feel this is a problem let me know.

May 20, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #3,194 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep looks good to me. I apologize if people feel this conversation should be held over PM. I felt that other people might find this information useful later. If the mods feel this is a problem let me know.

No, I plan on stealing all your work and claiming it for my own.
wink.gif

May 20, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #3,195 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I, for one, also plan on using this information

So.. don't worry about it.
I do, however, wonder if it should be put into it's own thread.

Do you think the optimal capacitor values change with this tube?
The tube is a different voltage, right?

Also, how did you go about choosing this tube for use with the SS?
I kind of wanted to have traditional looking tubes on my first tube amp. How hard would it be to adapt another tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back