Mid-tier headphones for electronic music
Mar 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fatalelement

New Head-Fier
So, I've been using my M-50's for about a year now and I have been nothing but happy with them, I usually carry them around with me with a LOD from my iPhone and a cmoyBB amp in a lil' Altoids case. However, I really want to make a step up in terms of headphones. I have a set of wonderful studio monitors (KRK 8 RPG2's and a KRK 10S), but I obviously cannot take these around with me and as I am in college I often cannot play music when my roommates are asleep or working, as I like my music loud and my bass noticeable.

So, I want to step up a tier from the M-50's. My budget is probably about 400-500 dollars, with wiggle room at the top if I MUST go up to 600 or so, but I'd rather avoid it. I listen to (and DJ) dubstep, hip-hop, drum 'n bass, house, nu-disco, etc. So, I like my headphones to have some sort of bass presence, but at the same time, I think Beats and other sort of bass-heavy headphones are too much bass for me. Some songs cause me to turn off the bass boost in my cmoy, because as soon as I can hear any sort of distortion it is extremely unsettling to me to the point where I cannot continue listening. I also value my mids, especially because the main components of my preferred genres is the bass to mid range. Highs can be a little recessed, as long as they are clear. I'd rather them be a little recessed than overly hissy or metallic. Vocals are also important for me to hear.

I have a FiiO E7 and would be more than happy to get an E9 if I need it to drive whatever is suggested. I do not want to drop some sort of large amount on a tube amp or similar, so I would say that is probably out of the question. I have been looking at the Denon D7000's and the AKG 702/Q701 (I know it has a very love/hate relationship with people here), as well as the DT880's and DT990's. I would prefer closed because of my roommates, but if the DT990's or 880's or similar are a clear choice I will have my own room next year so I can ignore this if necessary. Anyway, this is what I'm looking for in a headphone: Detailed lows that are fast and clean, mids that are clear but not necessarily too forward, and highs that aren't overly crisp or hissy. Thanks in advance for the help!

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 3
I say go with the Denon D5000 with J$ leather earpads, powered from the E9 (obvious choice). For DJ purposes I really like my Pioneer HDJ-2000 which I feel is a step up from the M50.

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 3
Do some research on the Ultrasone Pro900.

I'm a bit of a DnB head and think they are great for electronic music in general.

EDIT: Actually that last part of your post sums up the Pro900 pretty well....

"Detailed lows that are fast and clean, mids that are clear but not necessarily too forward, and highs that aren't overly crisp or hissy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back