Mid-Range all arounder IEM suggestion? (Atrio M5 replacement, $60-$150)
Jan 1, 2012 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kylezo

100+ Head-Fier
Hey y'all,

I have a pair of Atrio M5's that have lasted me about 5 years of abuse, and finally bit the dust (I think the right driver blew up). I'm looking to replace them, and I really enjoyed the M5's so I have been thinking about getting them again (from http://www.atrio.me/ for $99 after the $100 off coupon code), but I'm still exploring options. I'm not married to the bass-head sound that these IEM's have a reputation for (although not opposed to it either), and I've been looking at UE TripleFi 10's if I can find them at a decent discount, or something comparable. I thought I'd throw a line out and see if there are any bites - can someone get me some recommendations for a decently balanced pair?

I don't need something that's 100% accurate reference reproduction, and I DID quite appreciate the very nice response of the M5s at very low freqs, so I wouldn't mind something with a similar, if not as bassy, signature. I heard the triplefi 10s have a pretty decent soundstage for IEM's which is a big plus to me. I like separation and soundstage ^_^ I listen to a lot of acoustic and jazzy stuff, as well as orchestral music, along with the regular rock; Jason Mraz, Regina Spektor, Queen, some raggae, Sublime, film and video game sountracks, etc... I'm not looking to spend much more than $150 and I know there are a LOT of contenders in the $60-$150 range so I thought I'd ask for firsthand accounts :) I have a boatload of olives and flanges at my disposal to get a good fit for whatever ends up coming my way.

Thanks in advance for input!

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 17
I will recommend to try these IEMs Sony EX600(dome type dynamic drivers are amazing to shows hidden details yet sound so cohesive and offers deep punchy dynamic bass with large soundstage), JVC FXT90(crisp, clear midrange, highs and deep lowend with great separation and imaging), UETF10Pro( detailed yet fun to listen with good punchy bass and wide soundstage) and HF5(basslight compared to others but very revealing with extended highs and good bass response).

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 17
Why not go for the new MG7 Atrios? The upgrade is very nice and you'll be in good hands with FS. Regardless of any sale, you can get MG7 Atrios for half off in exchange for your older generation Atrio, just contact FS.

I like the MTPC, but make absolutely sure you get the warranty. You need the warranty. You may end up spending more for this. The MTPGold is also nice for less money, you still want the warranty.

I've heard the EX1000, it's very nice and people say nice things about the Ex600. They have less isolation, so less of a commuting iem, but otherwise good.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I didn't know about the exchange with FS, thanks for the heads up. Mine are definitely pretty screwed up though, does that make any difference?

Anyways, I saw tons of people raving about the MTPCs after that sale a while back, but I thought they were out of my price range otherwise. I'll do more reading up on them, as well as the other suggestions I saw. My faves so far are the UETF10s and the JVC  FXT90s. Don't know much about the EX600/1000s, HF5s or MTPCs yet.

Definitely considering the MG7s though. Speaking of FS warranties and such, I have had GREAT experiences with them over the years. So I can definitely validate that side of things ^_^

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I didn't know about the exchange with FS, thanks for the heads up. Mine are definitely pretty screwed up though, does that make any difference?

Anyways, I saw tons of people raving about the MTPCs after that sale a while back, but I thought they were out of my price range otherwise. I'll do more reading up on them, as well as the other suggestions I saw. My faves so far are the UETF10s and the JVC  FXT90s. Don't know much about the EX600/1000s, HF5s or MTPCs yet.

Definitely considering the MG7s though. Speaking of FS warranties and such, I have had GREAT experiences with them over the years. So I can definitely validate that side of things ^_^

Yeah, they take care of folks at FS. Don't worry about your old Atrios not working--that's kinda the point of trading them in! Email FS and things should go well.

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 17
Have a look at Hippo VB, I too, was a long time user of FS IEM's (Atrio M8, for 4 years), I tried the AtrioX but was hugely dissapointed, then finally bought Hippo VB to replace my M8 as my bass IEM and it brought a smile on my face, the sub-bass on this thing is just a work of art...

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 17
I've looked a bit at the VB actually, pretty cheap arent they? which is a plus. The TF10s I'm reading have a really drastic V signature, is this general consensus? I'm not overly concerned with having a bassy sound, it's just kind of where I come from (keeping in mind the Atrios did bass very well -  maybe that's why I liked it and I'd hate to be disappointed with a new set that did bass loud and poorly, or at the expense of detail and soundstage).

Knowing I can trade in for 50% off is a really nice thing, since I don't have to be worried about a coupon code expiring or the like to get an excellent deal if I do decide to fall back to the new Atrios. 

Any thoughts on the RE262? They seem quite close to what I'm after as well. Good price point, as well. The TF10s I can just BARELY manage to find for ~$150. I'm great at finding deals but sometimes they just aren't cheap enough :p

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
I've looked a bit at the VB actually, pretty cheap arent they? which is a plus. The TF10s I'm reading have a really drastic V signature, is this general consensus? I'm not overly concerned with having a bassy sound, it's just kind of where I come from (keeping in mind the Atrios did bass very well -  maybe that's why I liked it and I'd hate to be disappointed with a new set that did bass loud and poorly, or at the expense of detail and soundstage).

Knowing I can trade in for 50% off is a really nice thing, since I don't have to be worried about a coupon code expiring or the like to get an excellent deal if I do decide to fall back to the new Atrios. 

Any thoughts on the RE262? They seem quite close to what I'm after as well. Good price point, as well. The TF10s I can just BARELY manage to find for ~$150. I'm great at finding deals but sometimes they just aren't cheap enough :p

The hippos became less popular here when it became clear that they broke easily for quite a number of people.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for that insight, I wasn't too drawn to them even just based on reviews I've read...not ideal for my preferred styles.

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 17
These are the options I'm researching at the moment to see how they might work for me, lowest prices I could find, and an attempt to compile lots of consensus observations on each, in my ongoing quest for the right sound - 
------
Model = price = sound signature
        + pros
        - cons
-----

Fischer Audio DBA-02 = $187 - quick, articulate bass; crisp mids; bright detailed highs; airy, spacious soundstage
        + well balanced; detailed sound across spectrum; nice fit
        - flimsy build; 

Future Sonics Atrio MG7 = $110 = bass extension; smooth clean mids; dark clear highs; decent soundstage
        + sub bass control; fit; price; isolation;
        - some detail loss in mids; soundstage a bit lacking

Sony MDR-EX600 = $135 = analytical; spacious; 
        + price; immediate bright highs; live sound;
        - fit; isolation; detailed/laid back mid; 

VSonic GR07 = $155 = quick strong bass; lush, even mid; expansive airy soundstage
        + price; fit; bass response; balanced signature
        - dynamics; mid lacks detail

HiFiMan RE-262 = $150 = mid centric; smooth bass; laid back highs; big soundstage
        + price; lush mids; musical yet analytical; soundstage; 
        - 150 ohm imp.!; soft bass; treble a bit lacking

TF10 - $140 (HF) not fully looked into yet; not too drawn to what I've read thus far
fxt90 - ~$135 Also not very researched, but I've heard good things

Comments, observations, contradictions, etc are 18593018% welcome! As I'm narrowing down my list, things that seem to be rising in importance to me are detail and soundstage imaging. Also these appraisals are by no means complete and only represent what I've pieced together thus far.

I'm liking the look of the db-02s, but they are pretty much out of my budget by $30-$40 :frowning2: Also they seem like they might be a bit fatiguing? I'm interested in a live, musical quality but not something that's gonna cut my head open with shimmering highs, lol. I trust that I'll love the fit, comfort, seal, and isolation of the MG7s because I love all those things very much about my current (defunct :frowning2: ) Atrios. Also, a clean hundred bucks off the sticker price is nothing to sneeze at ^_^. I really like the 262s as well but driving is a bit of a problem - I don't have an amp and I'm not intending to get one any time soon. Can this be driven from a sound card or iPhone satisfactorially? 

Thanks for the guidance! 

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #12 of 17
The IEMs like DBA_02, Brainwavz B2, Etymotic HF5, RE0 offers extended highs and detailed mids with good bass response and average soundstage. These dynamic/BA IEMs like EX600, JVC FXT90, TF10Pro, IE7 offers wide soundstage, deep punchy bass and detailed mids, highs. I think you want live, musical IEMs with wide soundstage, rich detailed mids and deep punchy bass with non extended highs, the TF10Pro, FXT90, EX600, IE7 are close match for that type of soundsignature.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:

VSonic GR07 = $155 = quick strong bass; lush, even mid; expansive airy soundstage
        + price; fit; bass response; balanced signature
        - dynamics; mid lacks detail

I use my GR07 almost exclusively from my iPhone 4, so I can tell you a bit about the sound. For the genres you listen to, the GR07 would be the best all-rounder. The mids are actually among the best I've heard. The guitars sound amazing, vocals positively shine, and acoustic, indie, and rock music just take the cake. Cymbals are the best (well, second to the amped re262 from what I've heard) on a universal, and drums are like no other. You can't go wrong with these. Furthermore, they get even better with time and use.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
I use my GR07 almost exclusively from my iPhone 4, so I can tell you a bit about the sound. For the genres you listen to, the GR07 would be the best all-rounder. The mids are actually among the best I've heard. The guitars sound amazing, vocals positively shine, and acoustic, indie, and rock music just take the cake. Cymbals are the best (well, second to the amped re262 from what I've heard) on a universal, and drums are like no other. You can't go wrong with these. Furthermore, they get even better with time and use.

That's very encouraging, thanks eke. Mid presentation is important to me, which is another reason why I feel drawn to the 262s, as well as soundstaging for live recordings and well mastered acoustic albums (Mraz, Antony and the Johnsons, Spektor, et al). This is one of the main reasons I'm gun shy about the Atrio - I know positively the fit and comfort of them is great for me, having my previously owned pair, and the price is unbeatable, but it's 2 main weaknesses seem to be in the mids which are reported to be not necessarily recessed but maybe lacking in detail, and having a sub-par or 'average' soundstage and imaging.

I am also being pulled by reports of the musicality and dynamic presentation of the FXT90, which is very attractive for the above reasons and as well as complimenting symphonic recordings very well. Comments? I'll continue to check out comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back