Mid-Fi Headphone battle
Sep 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 35
  Really? since everyone is raving about how the mad dogs NEED an amp, or just a more expensive one than shiit?

The Mad Dogs certainly benefit from amplification but they do not NEED any additional amplification. If you decide to get a good amplifier later, you'll probably notice some improvements, but it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be, IMO.

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #19 of 35
What about a DAC, why do people invest so much money in a dac? amp=power i understand.

But i mean an mp3 can only be carried so far, and i doubt you can hear the difference between a soundcard built in dac and an external expensive dac, but i could be wrong..

Would a mad dog also sound better than the other portables in the list if ran off of my soundcard?

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 35
  What about a DAC, why do people invest so much money in a dac? amp=power i understand.

But i mean an mp3 can only be carried so far, and i doubt you can hear the difference between a soundcard built in dac and an external expensive dac, but i could be wrong..

I can very easily hear the difference and I think you are wrong

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #21 of 35

Would a mad dog also sound better than the other portables in the list if ran off of my soundcard?

I only want to say this, I congratulate you on finding a headphone. My advice was not to get the Mad Dog headphones because you listen to rap aka bass heavy music. That being said, a good DAC increases the soundstage, makes sound more clear, and overall is a good thing to get. Your amplifier will amplifier a dirty hissy and overall rough sound from the internal DAC in your computer. That being said, consider a combo unit from Audio-gd, they make great DAC's and I'm very happy with my amp. Look for a Audio-gd amp/dac with the WM8741 if you want a warmer smoother sounding amplifier, or get Sabre ES9018 if you want a more neutral, better clarity, and somewhat better instrument separation amp/dac. If you go with Mad Dogs, which are neutral, go for a warmer, smoother DAC/amp like the WM8741 Audio-gd units. I recommend Compass, but I imagine you could use the lower end models or look for a used deal in the FS section. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #23 of 35

I only want to say this, I congratulate you on finding a headphone. My advice was not to get the Mad Dog headphones because you listen to rap aka bass heavy music. That being said, a good DAC increases the soundstage, makes sound more clear, and overall is a good thing to get. Your amplifier will amplifier a dirty hissy and overall rough sound from the internal DAC in your computer. That being said, consider a combo unit from Audio-gd, they make great DAC's and I'm very happy with my amp. Look for a Audio-gd amp/dac with the WM8741 if you want a warmer smoother sounding amplifier, or get Sabre ES9018 if you want a more neutral, better clarity, and somewhat better instrument separation amp/dac. If you go with Mad Dogs, which are neutral, go for a warmer, smoother DAC/amp like the WM8741 Audio-gd units. I recommend Compass, but I imagine you could use the lower end models or look for a used deal in the FS section. 

Hi, why would the mad dog not be recommended because of rap?

Thanks,

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #24 of 35
I personally think it depends on what rap artists you listen to. Personally I found the Mad Dogs to sound way better than some bass heavy headphones on rap due to the quickness of the bass. Though I do find when it comes to the rap/hip hop it is a mixed bag on what these excel at. For instance I think most of Dr. Dre's songs sound awesome on the mad dogs. I find that the Beastie Boys are decent, but are not as fun sounding as the recording is kinda old and a bit lacking. I also find that the West Side Connection sounds pretty good. Some of it relies more on bass while other tracks it sounds really good with a cleaner bass as it does not bloat into the vocals. Also dubstep is quite boring on these phones imo (which is to be expected). I used to listen to a decent amount of dubstep but since I bought my headphones I have not touched it.

If you listen to a lot of other genres too these should be fine. For instance you said you listen to metal, which is awesome on the headphones with the guitars and how well the drums sound especially with fast double pedals.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #25 of 35

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #26 of 35
Hi, why would the mad dog not be recommended because of rap?

Thanks,

Mad dogs are neutral, rap is bass heavy. Normally the two don't mix well. That's again just my opinion.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #27 of 35
Alright so for rap, and kpop/pop music, which of the headphones would you suggest, and should i get a standalone dac/amp next to my sound card, and will that make my soundcard absolute?

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #28 of 35
Alright so for rap, and kpop/pop music, which of the headphones would you suggest, and should i get a standalone dac/amp next to my sound card, and will that make my soundcard absolute?

I'll have to say HE-400 or perhaps someone else. Grr, Kpop which I listen to is extremely fast music. Like the opposite of rap.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #29 of 35
HE-400 is open, which i think you could hear the sound in the room next to mine if you keep the door open,

i briefly tested it by laying my closed headphones on the table at higgh volume and i could hear them in the other room.

If open would be an option id go for the philips fidelio X1 :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back