Mid Fi - General chat for all discussions and general chat a Thread for all.
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #181 of 326
The recent posts by emdeevee got me to thinking about retail prices versus sale prices and the used market.

We have a very small market for this sort of stuff in my part of the world so the local used market is all but non existent save for the odd bit of gear that come up on a local general on line sales site. As such, I don't give much consideration to the used market but do occasionally look out for good clearance sales on new gear which leads me into the below.

The Solaris 2020 were Campfire Audio’s TOTL only a few years ago and I recently picked up a set of the limited edition Solaris Mercury (functionally the 2020) new at half price.

I consider them above mid fi pricing at normal retail but within the scope at 50% off. Of course an exchange rate of near 1.7X the USD doesn’t help so they are still a long way from modest pricing in my part of the world.

It took me some time to figure out tips, seal and comfortable fit but once I got them right and I could just sit and relax with them and enjoy the music I really started to appreciate their tuning. Everything is well balanced to my ear but still definitely a 'V' tune with enjoyment in mind and not a reference set.

I fitted them with a Kinera Dromi cable because it suits the aesthetic perfectly and I dislike the skinny stock cables.

While I enjoy them and consider them worth what I paid I would have been less enamored if I had paid full price. They are good and sound lovely but also demonstrate to me diminishing returns and just how really good IEM can be at much less money.

Still, the Solaris 2020 would make a great set if picked used at sensible money and have a sound signature that seems to be generally liked rather than the 'acquired taste' sound that some Campfire offerings seem to have, the IO model that I owned most definitely included.

IMG_0391.jpeg
Deals in CFA are actually pretty good, especially on drop. I got Dorado 2020 there for $599 new and recently saw Supermoon there for around $700. Also, CFA Market has lots of good deals and occasionally a Trifecta.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #182 of 326
Throwback. But what a setting this was to get some listening in. BTR7 and AüR Aurora. And Kid Francescoli. Live. On a boat. In Paris.

20230801_170451.jpg

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #183 of 326
Throwback. But what a setting this was to get some listening in. BTR7 and AüR Aurora. And Kid Francescoli. Live. On a boat. In Paris.

20230801_170451.jpg
1000019473.gif

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #184 of 326
Oriolus Szalayi, 1xPlanar 1xDD 1xBa. Punches way above its price point ($890). Great bass, clear well-defined mids, tight treble with no sibilance and a large sound stage. I've added a doctor juggles silver cable it thigh ends up the bass & gives it a little more impact and also brings the mids a little more forward, plus it's the best-looking cable I own. It's not necessary to change stock cable as it's quite good. For me, it's just a matter of preference. :beerchug:
IMG_20240415_150948988_HDR.jpg

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #185 of 326
Oriolus Szalayi, 1xPlanar 1xDD 1xBa. Punches way above its price point ($890). Great bass, clear well-defined mids, tight treble with no sibilance and a large sound stage. I've added a doctor juggles silver cable it thigh ends up the bass & gives it a little more impact and also brings the mids a little more forward, plus it's the best-looking cable I own. It's not necessary to change stock cable as it's quite good. For me, it's just a matter of preference. :beerchug:IMG_20240415_150948988_HDR.jpg
Sweet! The sza is one of my current favorite sets. I picked up an almost new one, used for about $500 a few months back. At that price it was an easy decision. Enjoy!

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #188 of 326
20240418_180327.jpg

The Cayin N3Ultra, IMR ACOUSTICS Halcyon with 15mm Ceramic Hybrid Aten driver featuring rare earth Neodymium motors with a composite diaphragm + 5th generation high resolution Piezo ceramic driver + dual electrostatic driver with internal amplifier and Clan Audio cable Midfi heaven.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #189 of 326
Top flight sound for midfi prices
20240419_165538.jpg

Dunu Vernus+Xhins Peacock Blue 7N single crystal copper cable + Hiby RS2 + Topping NX7

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #191 of 326
I would choose the Vernus just to have that magnificent green color ❤️.
She's a beauty alright I was particularly pleased to find a xhins cable that matched (the small things in life matter)

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #192 of 326
I would choose the Vernus just to have that magnificent green color ❤️.
I want to get the Softears Volume for the same reason. And not gonna lie, it's the main reason I got the Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite. Can never have enough green things in my life. Seriously. My living room walls are green. My daily backpack is green. My shoes. And on and on.

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #193 of 326
I want to get the Softears Volume for the same reason. And not gonna lie, it's the main reason I got the Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite. Can never have enough green things in my life. Seriously. My living room walls are green. My daily backpack is green. My shoes. And on and on.
+1 for the Volume! Love my set and the exquisite green is so nice. 💚

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #194 of 326
Apr 20, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #195 of 326
Crosspost for a 150 € single DD gem:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...n-first-page-all-welcome.957426/post-18083026

This and an IMR Enigma+, an AüR of choice and the IE900 (+ some TWS) and one could be done IEM-wise. Well, theoretically at least.
Now let's see what will come in / be ordered next... :‐)
Sounds just like my ticket, especially Twister's comparisons to the Firaudio E12 and the Hifiman Svanar ... both single DDs and more than 12 times the price (I almost ended up with a set of the latter last week, lol) .
His bottom line regarding those three single sets: more a matter of personal taste and preferences than actual technical performance levels.

Instabuy, thanks for the link, I'll report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back