Mid Fi - General chat for all discussions and general chat a Thread for all.
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #151 of 327
Set up for an afternoon walk around the local vineyards - S12 Pro - iFi Go Bar hidden inside a magsafe sleeve run off iPhone 15.

Overall barely mid fi pricing but very definitely mid fi performance.

IMG_0388.jpeg
I had a chance to hear them at High End in 2023 and I was pleasantly surprised. Almost fell off my chair when they told me the price. Not to mention that the two guys from LET SHUOER were super friendly. I’m looking forward to meeting them again this year.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #152 of 327
I am not exactly sure.

It is the stock cable from some AuR Audio IEM. It is probably actually a little more bulky than the stock S12 cable but it is very soft fabric covered and is extremely supple and hangs/drapes nicely and is very comfortable around the ears at least for me.

I have tried to track down exactly the same cable but can’t find it. It is very similar to a NiceHCK Jialai but the hardware is slightly different and that one doesn’t have the flat fitting two pin but the more typical raised block that is intended for an IEM with a recessed fitting. It is also very similar to some XINHS “2 strand” cables. They have flat two pin but I can’t find the same colour.

I bit of searching on AliExpress using those names as a starting point my be fruitful but I gave up after half an hour or so.

If colour mattered XINHS store on AliExpress could probably make a custom one through the “Store” contact button on the app. I have had about half a dozen custom cables made and they are very good to deal with.
I see, think the single wires to each side tricked me into believing this was a significantly smaller cable, but I do see that might not be the case. Still looks great, and I appreciate your hunt for figuring out which one it is, I'll look around and see what I find, or just steal the one from my Tanchjim 😅

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #153 of 327
Porta Pros are unironically very good lol. I use them for work.
About 15 years ago I gave them as Christmas gifts to some of my audio inclined employees.

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #155 of 327
I had a chance to hear them at High End in 2023 and I was pleasantly surprised. Almost fell off my chair when they told me the price. Not to mention that the two guys from LET SHUOER were super friendly. I’m looking forward to meeting them again this year.
Would you say Munich High End is worth a visit even for us non locals (5,5h drive)?

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #157 of 327
Yes I mentioned that but the two pin is flat not raised and designed for recessed IEM as the Jialai seems to be. I assume yours is a recessed end ?
Oops sorry completely missed that on your initial post lol. Yes mine is recessed as well. It's a nice cable still. And very cheap.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #158 of 327
Oops sorry completely missed that on your initial post lol. Yes mine is recessed as well. It's a nice cable still. And very cheap.

All good, yes they are nice cables, they handle beautifully.

Since it came with an IEM I assume it is a variation of the same cable or a similar one that XINHS make but changed as part of a somewhat bulk order.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #160 of 327
All good, yes they are nice cables, they handle beautifully.

Since it came with an IEM I assume it is a variation of the same cable or a similar one that XINHS make but changed as part of a somewhat bulk order.
Oh I bought it after I got the Juzear Clear only to color match and to have 4.4. The stock cable on the Clear is actually really nice especially for a $50 set. Best stock cable under $100 iems in my book.
1000016096.jpg

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #161 of 327
Not sure if it just barely squeaks in here, but at $2k retail, the Oriolus Monachaa competes with sets for more expensive.

I've just posted a review here

Thanks for reading!

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #162 of 327
Not sure if it just barely squeaks in here, but at $2k retail, the Oriolus Monachaa competes with sets for more expensive.

I've just posted a review here

Thanks for reading!
Sounds like it's an amazing iem sadly out of my price range but I really enjoyed reading your enthusiasm for it.

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #163 of 327
Sounds like it's an amazing iem sadly out of my price range but I really enjoyed reading your enthusiasm for it.
The trick is to pick it up off the classifieds...I did.

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #164 of 327
Tonight I'm enjoying the Sennheiser ie600 with penon orange liquor tips with 7n copper cable on the cayin N3Ultra set on classic tube. It's a very enjoyable organic vinyl like experience
20240327_151327~3.jpg

(Please excuse the ear wax on the advar those penon tips attract it)

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #165 of 327

If I know the price, it changes how I read the review. I worry that I’ll find the perfect piece of gear and only then realize I can’t afford it. Reading about the really high end stuff becomes an academic exercise. It’s the 95% of performance at half the price (or less) that gets me excited. But you still need a point of reference. It also seems like the threshold of “not better, but different” keeps getting more affordable. Mind you, my practical experience is fairly limited, and I’m learning that it’s not all that difficult to impress me.

Where do you think the line is for no glaring technical faults, just tuning choices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back