Mid-Fi Battle: AH-D2000 / HD-650 / DT-880 / XB-700
Jan 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #76 of 85
I understand what you mean.  Let me explain.  I have a certain EQ preference.  It doesn't matter which headphone, it usually going to match around the Denon D-2000 "flat" EQ.  The reason I matched the EQ on all three headphones was to try and determine the different soundstage between headphones. It is difficult to compare soundstage if bass, mids and treble are all different. 

Also, even if I prefer the Denon usually near the flat EQ, it is still not perfect.  EQ is always required to tailor the music to my preferences.  However, I will not EQ every song, obviously because i want to just enjoy the music.  But yes, every headphone I have owned has some EQ settings to it. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #77 of 85
I also understand you and would never make any suggestions of how-to-hear-headphones because I am really an audiophile-asshole.
And for the reason of comparing it is quite a good thing in my opinion to have a base to start with.

Nevertheless I know myself and I know that I am too lazy to find the right EQ settings :). Music and music hearing have to be fun with or without EQ no matter which headphone is used and not at all a mental torture..

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #78 of 85
I can understand your fun approach and finding EQ settings can seem like "hard work."  Head-fi members use a lot of "audiophile" vocabulary like "recessed mids" or "boring presentation" or other stuff like that.  For me, a lot of the fun is trying to figure out
1. what sounds they are talking about,
2. how to distinguish that from other sounds and
3. how to affect and manipulate the sound to my own preferences. 

I feel like a detective trying to solve a mystery.  Thankfully, I have found a mostly satisfactory answer.  Of course other members will be searching forever and maybe the search part can be fun too..   

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #79 of 85
Yeahh I am in the process of learning this vocabulary )).
Seriously I can it describe as well only with other words..

At the moment I am hearing Joanna Newsom and in comparison to the HD650 the DT440 really sounds brighter and very very clear in my opinion. In contrary the HD650 pulls the bass more in the foreground and is a bit warmer..

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #80 of 85
Thank you for your reply. By clarity I mean does the sound seems more muffled from one headphone to another. Let's say you are listening to a complex piece of music with many instruments playing at the same time, a clear headphone will be able to hear all the different instrument at the same time, whereas a less clear phone will sound as if some of the sound has been meshed together. From what I have read about the XB-700, it seems that it may be the phone with the least clarity.

Quote:
Those are hard terms to use for a ranking.  I gave my rankings toward the end of my still incomplete review.  Clarity and details could just mean + / - treble, stuffed tissue in the cups, too much bass clouding the highs.  It means different things to people, so I can't comment on it.  I tried to write my review in a way that was easily testable and verifiable for anyone reading it and leave the "fancy" adjectives out because it doesn't help anyone except sales for headphone companies.

For separation, if you mean whether it sounds like the instruments are placed in different areas, the HD-650 is not as good as the other two.  The HD-650 sounds like you're watching / hearing the concert from the middle of the concert hall.  That gives the impression that the soundstage is huge.  It isn't.  Because the cups are deeper than the other two, the sonic frequencies all kind of mash together before they reach you.  How shall I put this... it's like crossfeed is happening on each channel by itself.  While crossfeed is great for 1960s sources, like the Beatles, when stereo was first invented, most of the time crossfeed is not only unnecessary, but detract from music enjoyment.  In the 1960s, you had entire instruments or voices be either all on the left or all on the right.  That is super fatiguing.  Nobody does that anymore, so crossfeed is less useful as time progresses.  So in essence, crossfeed is a "mono" making effect, away from stereo imaging. 

If you have house speakers, you can tell right away.  If you sit close to your loudspeakers, you can hear instrument separation, but when you move away from the speaker, they all sound like they come from the same area.  That's how I feel about the Sennheiser HD-650.  You would think that would increase the soundstage though right?  It doesn't.  I think because the drivers are still ultimately only 1/4 inch away from your ears, it's not enough distance to create a larger soundstage.  I think the only illusion of big soundstage comes from being open air and when you listen to a live performance.  It really feels like you're there, but I believe it's just a physical illusion translating into a sonic one.  Don't get me wrong though, illusion or not, it's still a cool effect and I much prefer the feel of open phones. 

So anyway, separation.  I like the DT-880 over the rest by a little bit for rock music.  It's still my favorite rock headphone to date, but just barely over the others.  Always remember, these differences are really small to me, but commenting on them makes it seem like it's huge.  Umm.  The Denon makes the soundstage seem big because the bass is so deep, that it reminds me of being in a living room with hardwood floors, or a movie theater.  The Denon and DT-880 have little soundstage differences that are cool. 

HD-650 has a better resale value though, so I kept that. 

Panda Bear - Take Pills on the Denon AH-D2000 sounds like Brian Wilson singing on an elephant riding through India while there's a war going on in the background with bombs being dropped.  The HD-650, not as much. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #81 of 85
I'd just like to add that I don't need to EQ my DT-880's.  At 51 I have a natural hearing roll off in the mid / high frequencies and it sounds reasonably flat to me.   
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #82 of 85

Quote:
These are all equally wonderful.  Make sure you spend more than $500 on amp though. 

Edited by sugarkang - Yesterday at 4:00 pm 

blink.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #83 of 85
Jan 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #84 of 85
post no1 had some nice information

can't say I agreed to everything, but it was a nice read and effort

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #85 of 85
yeah i subscribed to this thread too.  1st post had some pretty good insight for those who think "no way in hell you're gonna get me into this $200 headphone rig thing."  lots of thread crapping going on when your opinion is the minority around here it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back