Mid-Centric Headphones?
Nov 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there are any mid centric headphones under $300, and can be powered relatively easily?
Here are some requirements:
Open or Closed
Good Soundstage
Details
Mid-Upper or Lower
Comfort

I already have srh940, which I love, but I also want to test others.

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 22
There was a similar thread two days ago and consensus was Sennheiser 598 and AKG K701/702.
Just from reading reviews - the Senn has better soundstage and comfort, the AKG has better detail.
What do you mean by "Mid-Upper or Lower" ??

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 22
While they don't have what most would consider to be a nice soundstage, the Sony MDR-CD900ST's have the absolute best mids I've heard in a headphone. At any price.

You have to import them, though. Buying them from audiocubes.com they cost about $250, last time I checked, though from time to time they come up on the FS board for $150.

They can be somewhat particular when it comes to amping, though. They really need an amp that isn't very colored. Something like a tube amp pairs rather poorly with them, even if it's considered a high end one. They still have fantastic mids, but the raise to a whole other level with a good solid state amp.

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 22
Hi Victor,

Think the Sennheiser HD 598 would be perfect for you. Open headphones, fantastic soundstage, among the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and slightly forward mids that give it a unique sound signature I really enjoy. Just a great headphone that I still frequently reach for despite having much more expensive options beside it.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 22
+1

Seriously the best choice under $400 or so for me. The 598 is fantastic.

Quote:
Hi Victor,

Think the Sennheiser HD 598 would be perfect for you. Open headphones, fantastic soundstage, among the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and slightly forward mids that give it a unique sound signature I really enjoy. Just a great headphone that I still frequently reach for despite having much more expensive options beside it.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 22
I found the 598 mids rather laid back. HD558 has more forward mids.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 22
Soundmagic HP200 have slightly forward mids and great detail

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
Hi Victor,

Quote:
+1

Seriously the best choice under $400 or so for me. The 598 is fantastic.

X5

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
I meant just with great mids, both upper and lower mids. or male/female vocals.

Most likely any pair of headphones that measure flat between 100 Hz and 2 kHz or so; see InnerFidelity for graphs. EQ can then be used for personal preference (filling in the meaning of "great") to emphasize/downplay this or that part of the mids.

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 22
I'm no expert on the AKG headphones but I know there exists several K2xx series headphones that are worthy conciderations and midcentric based with good soundstage too, I can only speak for K272 HD that I got to demo recently which I found spectacular in the mids and soundstage department for a closed headphone costing only 129 EUR. Ofc if you're into modding the Fostex TR50p offers among the best bang for the buck.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
I can only speak for K272 HD that I got to demo recently which I found spectacular in the mids and soundstage department for a closed headphone costing only 129 EUR.

I had the K 271 (same drivers as the K 272), and can say that both the K 250, which are about 30 euros used, and the K 241, which are about 30 euros used as well, have better mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back