MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Feb 26, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #2,312 of 2,609
Nice review... I've been meaning to try the ZOTL As pre-amp, haven't gotten to it, keep it connected to my PC for headphones use, but, one of these days...

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #2,314 of 2,609
OK so I've discovered a few interesting things lately. I'm quite sure someone must have written about this before, but anyway. I've noticed the MZ2 is quite sensitive to interconnects. In fact, the only ones it seems to like in my stash are the ones made by Mr. Morin at Lounge Audio for his phono preamp. They are cheap and work great. I had tried a few pairs of fancy interconnects with the Cd player and it just sounded like ****. When I hooked up Morin's interconnects, it sounded like music. 

The other thing is after rolling some NOS 6SN7 tubes, I've discovered new production EH sounds just as good as my Sylvania GTB's.  And they are definitely the darkest and thus the best tubes so far for my new Omegas. Lots of bass.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #2,315 of 2,609

I just read this today!  Congrats on another fantastic review!

Still loving the ZOTL!

What a gorgeous rig!  Thanks for sharing the eye candy!

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,316 of 2,609
I recently auditioned the Mojo Audio Illuminati power supply and posted my impressions on the MicroZOTL2 Upgrade Discovery Thread but I wanted to post a link on this thread--I hope that it is not a violation of the posting guidelines. Anyway, my notes can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/818130/microzotl2-upgrade-discovery-thread/60#post_13323420

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #2,317 of 2,609
I recently auditioned the Mojo Audio Illuminati power supply and posted my impressions on the MicroZOTL2 Upgrade Discovery Thread but I wanted to post a link on this thread--I hope that it is not a violation of the posting guidelines. Anyway, my notes can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/818130/microzotl2-upgrade-discovery-thread/60#post_13323420

Nice-I was going to compare these LPS's as well, then 1 channel of my ZOTL blew. I sent it to Ben/Mojo for repair and upgrade while I was at it, I'll post when it comes back.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,318 of 2,609
For those of you that have the newer MZ2 model with switchable heater voltage try a 14N7 with the necessary loctal adapter readily available from EBAY.

It is a 12v version of the 7N7, even cheaper and sounds about as good as it gets. Vocals are better than my Tungsol 12SN7 black glass round plate.

The only gotcha is that you may need to either forgo the cover plate or find someone to drill out two holes as the tube + adapter combo may touch the plate, especially if you find the tall version.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #2,319 of 2,609
  For those of you that have the newer MZ2 model with switchable heater voltage try a 14N7 with the necessary loctal adapter readily available from EBAY.

It is a 12v version of the 7N7, even cheaper and sounds about as good as it gets. Vocals are better than my Tungsol 12SN7 black glass round plate.

The only gotcha is that you may need to either forgo the cover plate or find someone to drill out two holes as the tube + adapter combo may touch the plate, especially if you find the tall version.

Well this is embarrassing. I thought that I was buying a 14N7 but actually bought a 14F7 which is the electrical equivalent to a 12SL7. The odd thing is that I love the sound. It is pin compatible but has a gain of 60 rather than a gain of 20 so I am not sure what to make of this.

I ordered a pair of 14N7s to replace these as I want to be sure to use tubes that were meant for the amp but it is a bit of a mystery why it sounds so good. Hopefully the 14N7 will have the same sound...

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #2,320 of 2,609
Important question. Have any of you run into issues with NOS 6SN7 tube failures in your MicroZOTL?

I found out from LTA that the MZ2 runs the tubes at 450v. Most NOS 6SN7 and variants have a max plate voltage of 300v.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #2,323 of 2,609
  Important question. Have any of you run into issues with NOS 6SN7 tube failures in your MicroZOTL?

I found out from LTA that's the MZ2 runs the tubes at 450v. Most NOS 6SN7 and variants have a max plate voltage of 300v.

I used to have the original MZ running 6SN7GT's and never had a problem. With the MZ2 I have had 1 6SN7GT that would get noisy after the amp was on for a while. Turning the amp off and letting everything cool would result in the tube being ok until it heated up again. Other 6SN7GT's were fine. I switched to 6SN7GTB and now Russian- 6H8C, it's an accepted substitute for the 6SN7-and haven't had any problems. Another poster here suggested the Russian tubes and I remembered I had purchased some a number of years ago; I really like them. Also ran 6F8G's for a while with no problem.

I mentioned here a while back that David Berning had said years ago, when the original MZ was still available, that there could be problems with the 6SN7GT because of the voltage rating on the tubes. I believe he said he hadn't heard of anyone having a problem but he recommended using 6SN7GTA or 6SN7GTB to be safe.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,324 of 2,609
Thanks to those who replied. I received emails from Mark at LTA and also David Berning both of whom relieved my fears. I would say that most 6SN7s and variants should be fine. In my experience even good testing NOS tubes can go noisy regardless of the circuit, specially once they warm up.

Right now I am trying some tall 7N7's which sound very good and will try some NOS 6SN7GT Sylvanias next.

Does anyone have a reliable source for authentic NOS Russian Melz 6SN7GT 6N8S /1578 tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back