MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Apr 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #1,411 of 2,609
How does this amp compare to the Decware Zen Taboo III? Since I don't have access to listen to either amp I can only try to conclude from reviews and opinions about which one to purchase. Can anyone respond with some feedback?

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,412 of 2,609
Will definitely let you know.  I'm one of those weird people that has had the ZOTL2 for months but haven't unboxed it yet.  Just waiting for the right time.  Still unpacking from a recent move, busy with work and looking for a nice audio rack.  I had the Taboo II and III.  With the mark III I also had the CSP3 in front as a preamp.  Very good combo but with some drawbacks.  More later.....  

Quote:
How does this amp compare to the Decware Zen Taboo III? Since I don't have access to listen to either amp I can only try to conclude from reviews and opinions about which one to purchase. Can anyone respond with some feedback?

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,413 of 2,609

I too had my Zotl2 in storage for a bit while we were renovating our house.  Well, it's now playing and it's great.  Just added some Sylvania 6SN7s and it's a nice improvement.  Get a good external psu and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better headphone amp.  Sonically, this thing is my cup of tea. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #1,414 of 2,609
Hey Guys, Mark and Will were extremely kind and sent me a MicroZOTL and PSU to share in Nashville and listen to in my home system. Really looking forward to seeing what my Buddy DrJazz has been raving about.

Any modestly priced tubes you guys recommend? Noted that many of you think the 12AT7 makes the greater difference? I'll be using a Monarchy M22 DAC and HD800 (Anax and Draug 2) and LCD3f as my main cans.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,415 of 2,609
Think I posted the tubes I'm currently using (and enjoying) previously, I'll get the numbers and post them again when I get back.
Been comparing the ZOTL to the Liquid Crimson I just got on a tour yesterday, more to come...

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #1,416 of 2,609
@Wildcatsare1-The tubes I substituted are Hytron 6SN7GT (got them from Arizona Tube Supply, NOS), and the 12AT7 is Siemans E81CC 3-MICA Munich, from Tubemonger.com), there are others more versed in tubes, with more to pick from and audition than I have (also tried RCA 6SN7GT, didn't love them, but I didn't love any of them singly, that is, the 6SN7 NOS with the stock 12AT7, or the NOS 12AT7 with the stock 6SN7, things came together when I used both the Hytron and Siemans NOS tubes at the same time. Never tried the RCA's with the Siemans, maybe that combination also works, even though the RCA with the stock 12AT7 didn't for me. That's all I know so far...

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #1,417 of 2,609
@Wildcatsare1-The tubes I substituted are Hytron 6SN7GT (got them from Arizona Tube Supply, NOS), and the 12AT7 is Siemans E81CC 3-MICA Munich, from Tubemonger.com), there are others more versed in tubes, with more to pick from and audition than I have (also tried RCA 6SN7GT, didn't love them, but I didn't love any of them singly, that is, the 6SN7 NOS with the stock 12AT7, or the NOS 12AT7 with the stock 6SN7, things came together when I used both the Hytron and Siemans NOS tubes at the same time. Never tried the RCA's with the Siemans, maybe that combination also works, even though the RCA with the stock 12AT7 didn't for me. That's all I know so far...

Thank you Sir, I look forward to reading your review!

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #1,418 of 2,609
Hello,

I live in Spain and I'm thinking to buy a MicroZOTL2 + LPS.
I've read in some post that there's a offcial reseller in Austria.
Would someone let me know where can I find him please?
Thank you in advance.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #1,419 of 2,609
  Hello,

I live in Spain and I'm thinking to buy a MicroZOTL2 + LPS.
I've read in some post that there's a offcial reseller in Austria.
Would someone let me know where can I find him please?
Thank you in advance.

That would be Andreas Pohnitzer at http://kopfhoererboutique.com/ 

Later today the Linear Tube Audio website should be updated to include the dealers other than Urban HiFi where you can try out and purchase the MicroZOTL2. Off the top of my head there's Night and Day Audio in North Carolina, Care Audio in upper New Jersey, and Bright Audio in New York, though the list will be substantially longer soon, and include dealers in many more states. One note: if you want the original, $1100 base model with the switching supply, that will still only be available through Urban HiFi; the dealers will only be carrying the amp with the LPS. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,420 of 2,609
Thank you for your reply.
I'm going contact him. I,m very fond of OTL sound with speakers but I don't have a OTL amp for headphones and I want to listen th ZOTL with my Audeze LCD3, Fostex TH900, ATH W3000 and others.....
I'm using a Leben 300 amplifier with Audeze and Burson Virtuoso/Auralic Taurus with others.
Regards.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,421 of 2,609
Every day I use the micro since receiving the LPS, I am amazed. I have been audio for many, many years and have built my own equipment, both tube and solid state but prefer tube. I have spend much more on a single piece of equipment building it, at wholesale costs, and the micro from a cost standpoint is a steal. Exceptional. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,422 of 2,609
Thank you for your impressions.
I've owned a lot of tube amps and I like it. I'm curious to know how matches this amp with Audeze LCD3. I know that OTL matches very well with high impedance transducers but with low impedance.....I will see.

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,423 of 2,609
Man, that's a lot of gear...I'd never even have the TIME to use it all, great!

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,424 of 2,609
More than 20 years and thousands of hours listening.......
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back