MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Mar 16, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,201 of 2,609
  have you guys noticed that the input amperage is not the same between units?
Mine is 3.7A where as Bazelio's is 2.4 I think... why this difference? Am in Europe by the way...

According to Mark, it's a case of mislabeling on early units. 2.4A is the max. And probably a case of misremembering resulted in early unit owners not being informed of this. I'll look into it when I'm in the office tomorrow. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,204 of 2,609
People are human after all and not machines. I don't see anything embarrassing. 

How many have tried the 7062 tube? Nice box plates and the operating points are close to the 12AT7 with a little lower MU. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #1,205 of 2,609

How many have tried the 7062 tube? Nice box plates and the operating points are close to the 12AT7 with a little lower MU. 

Not embarrassing embarrassing. Just one of those moments. A picture worth 1000 sighs. 

2.5v confirmed as correct all around. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,206 of 2,609

7062 opens the soundstage and is neutral.  It didn't do much for the low end though.  I think I've only seen Amperex, but there are a couple varieties, like D foil getter, pinched waist, and vintages.   I've only tried the standard D foil getter, older vintage.  

I reverted to Mullard 12AT7 to gain back some warmth, though I fully intend to go back to the 7062 after my LPS is ready.  I'm hoping the LPS cures some of what I'm using the Mullard to cure currently.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,207 of 2,609

7062 opens the soundstage and is neutral.  It didn't do much for the low end though.  I think I've only seen Amperex, but there are a couple varieties, like D foil getter, pinched waist, and vintages.   I've only tried the standard D foil getter, older vintage.  

I reverted to Mullard 12AT7 to gain back some warmth, though I fully intend to go back to the 7062 after my LPS is ready.  I'm hoping the LPS cures some of what I'm using the Mullard to cure currently.

I think with the 7062 you might have been hearing some of the PS. The stock supply is very good but any edge at all is gone with the Mojo V and what remains is a very pure signal, IMO. I have some Amperex 7062 coming so will know in a few days how I like them. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,208 of 2,609
Think I'm about to order military Mullard 6sn7 tubes, darn... :)

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,209 of 2,609

I added a few pictures to the website: www.lineartubeaudio.com 

Earlier in the thread I said that the linear power supply would be about the same size as the stock supply. This was a miscommunication; my apologies. The actual dimensions are 12" x 3.25" x 4.25".

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,210 of 2,609
Are there tubes in the LPS? If so, which ones? What does the LPS do for the sound vs stock PS?

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,212 of 2,609
So it uses a (small) bridged rectifier, regulates the output with a basic IC regulator at the heatsink, and filters with a bunch of polymer capacitors.  Might wonder about failure rate with the high part count for all those filter caps, but otherwise a pretty basic circuit.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,213 of 2,609
  So it uses a (small) bridged rectifier, regulates the output with a basic IC regulator at the heatsink, and filters with a bunch of polymer capacitors.  Might wonder about failure rate with the high part count for all those filter caps, but otherwise a pretty basic circuit.

Over the years I have seen good caps seldom fail, rarely in fact. If you run them over voltage there is a problem but with the way caps are made now days, very few failures. They were running large banks of caps years ago without problems and caps have only gotten better. Plus with the open design of this PS, the caps are going to stay well below the temp range, which also extends life. 

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #1,214 of 2,609

I added a few pictures to the website: www.lineartubeaudio.com 

Earlier in the thread I said that the linear power supply would be about the same size as the stock supply. This was a miscommunication; my apologies. The actual dimensions are 12" x 3.25" x 4.25".

Did David Berning design this?  Or as least consulted and what are his findings regarding the LPS as far as improving the sound quality of the MICROZOTL2?  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back