MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Mar 12, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #1,171 of 2,609
Is it real?

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #1,174 of 2,609
Here are the ingredients:

I measured the original cover and designed a new one with the following changes:
1) Additional 4mm thickness by extruding the center portion of the cover towards the PCB. This gives enough flesh to almost fully hide the sockets within the cover and fix them via screws.
2) I went for sharp corners next to the front plate
3) Change of material to perspex/acrylic glass, as this can be polished - just in case I scratch it during assembly :)
4) holes for the new sockets :)

I bought some cheap sockets only to learn that they probably would not last long - and got more expensive ones instead.

The wire I used is taken from Mogami Quad microphone cable (twisted pairs for each pin). For the heaters I use single wires with a larger diameter as, e.g., in case of two 6BL7 per socket I would need 3A per socket. I did not twist the heater wires as I use DC heating and (if I understood the physics correctly) the benefit of twisting the wires applies for AC only.

The octal base is similar to this one:  http://www.ebay.de/itm/8-PIN-OCTAL-TUBE-BASE-/400725262974. After soldering I filled the base with epoxy resin.

The noval base was more difficult. The best I found are these here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/221578180311. Soldering was easy but I highly doubt they are long lasting. My next iteration will use better sockets.

The photo I showed yesterday uses 2 6BL7 tubes per socket. I really like single 6BL7 and was curious if a pair would improve sound - I am not convinced yet. The ZOTL sits on a Manson power supply for the heater current. It has three presets, e.g., 6.3V for 6SN7 and 12.6V for FDD20.

Here are some more photos:

The first iteration (Makrolon) - luckily the shop misinterpreted my drawings so I got another attempt for free :)

The final product (perspex)

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #1,175 of 2,609
Impressive (but not really an option for those of us out there with 10 things...)

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,177 of 2,609
No, 1.5A per tube. However, I am currently running two C3gS per socket (C3gs is a triode strapped pentode, hence two are needed to replace a double triode 6sn7). The sound stage widened, there is a lot of detail - I will stick to this for the next days. Oh, and heater current for those should be within the ZOTL spec.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #1,178 of 2,609
I would run 4 X 27 mesh plate tubes for the output. :^) 

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #1,179 of 2,609
No, 1.5A per tube. However, I am currently running two C3gS per socket (C3gs is a triode strapped pentode, hence two are needed to replace a double triode 6sn7). The sound stage widened, there is a lot of detail - I will stick to this for the next days. Oh, and heater current for those should be within the ZOTL spec.

That's a ton, still.  The switching power supply itself is rated at 2.5A only, and I doubt the entire ZOTL draw anywhere near that when driving headphones at moderate volume.  I could be wrong, but I think you'd need some beefy offboard heat sinks on an LPS to sustain that kind of current.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,180 of 2,609
My first picture shows the ZOTL sitting on an external power supply. This is used for providing the 6SN7 (or replacement) heater current only. The ZOTL (incl. 12AT7 tubes) is fed via an SBooster power supply, which remains pretty cool even after hours :) No harm is done to the ZOTL.

For 6BL7 an external supply is definitely needed. Power requirement of four C3gS (4x0.37A) is slightly above the stock pair of 6SN7 (2x0.6A). But I will use the external PS in any case. What I haven't mentioned so far is that between the ZOTL PCB and my little soldering exercise I have added an octal socket saver where pin 7 & 8 (heater current) are not routed through but connected to wires - which go to the external PS.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,182 of 2,609
It was originally slated for sometime late this month, don't know if there's been any change...

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,183 of 2,609
It should be at Canjam, which unfortunately I can not attend....  Check your emails.

We are most excited about making CanJam SoCal the location of the public debut of our new Linear Tube Audio Linear Power Supply. TheLTA LPS has been designed specifically for the MicroZOTL2. It's low heat, super quiet, has a very sturdy case, and a bunch of other specs you'd rather read on our website very soon. Basically, it's the power supply you've been asking for. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #1,184 of 2,609
It has been making the rounds at recent meets. I heard it (only 30 seconds - meet was too busy). The question was when can we consumers purchase.
And what @doctorjazz said is also the last information I saw.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #1,185 of 2,609
  It has been making the rounds at recent meets. I heard it (only 30 seconds - meet was too busy). The question was when can we consumers purchase.
And what @doctorjazz said is also the last information I saw.

I guess it's *possible* that they'd debut it at Canjam without making it available to purchase at that time...  I'd assumed they'd have units on hand for purchase, but you're right, it doesn't explicitly say so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back