MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Oct 27, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #466 of 2,609
That microzotl40 is s beast. Im starting to save now. Was considering a Hegel, but the Microzotl is much cheaper and checks all my boxes.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #467 of 2,609
MicroZOTL40, huh? I assume you mean for speakers. Have you heard it? Love to hear some impressions if you did.

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #468 of 2,609
OK, am trying to write my MicroZOTL2 review...just got the LH Labs 2G USB cable, connected it to my PC/Regen/Geek Out Special Edition/MicroZOTL2/HE-1000 (Norne Zoetic Cable). Have had this set up for a while. Man, things just went up a few notches, not able to stop lisening to write, just going tune to tune in JRiver, Dylan, Hi Rez, "Absolutely Sweet Marie" at the moment, that voice, everything imaging rock solid, drive/musicality up a notch (and it was great to begin with). man...should get to bed...nah...

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #469 of 2,609
OK, am trying to write my MicroZOTL2 review...just got the LH Labs 2G USB cable, connected it to my PC/Regen/Geek Out Special Edition/MicroZOTL2/HE-1000 (Norne Zoetic Cable). Have had this set up for a while. Man, things just went up a few notches, not able to stop lisening to write, just going tune to tune in JRiver, Dylan, Hi Rez, "Absolutely Sweet Marie" at the moment, that voice, everything imaging rock solid, drive/musicality up a notch (and it was great to begin with). man...should get to bed...nah...

I'm hoping that this cable is 1) reasonably priced (reasonable in "audiophile dollars," of course)*, and 2) available without a waiting period that has to be measured in geologic time**.  Oh yes, and 3) isn't limited to being used solely with LH Labs products***.

What are the answers (starting with #3, I guess)?  Never mind.  I should have googled it first, before pestering you with questions.......oh well...

*OK, Googled it.  $200   ....not horrible, not great either......meh.....  I'm sure it's worth it, but I'm not wanting to spend that amount on a cable right now........maybe later.
**OK, Googled that too.  Available now, it looks like.
***OK, Googled that three.  Looks like a standard, non-proprietary connector cable.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #470 of 2,609
Yes to all 3 Google researched answers...I actually did wait centuries, having ordered during the LH Crowd Funding orgy, did save a few bucks that way, but still not inexpensive. I have read that the 10G cable is even better, but it costs about the same as a good LPS, not much less than the ZOTL. And, of course, the law of audiophile diminishing returns kicks in, improvement not as dramatic (again, like what I've read about LPS).

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #471 of 2,609
Folks, I am an old Berning fan - have owned 4 of his power amps, at one time or another. Would love to try this amp. My issue is that I have two very disparate pairs of headphones - one Senn HD650 with Cardas cable, which I am sure would work fine, and the other being Denon AH-D7000's, which are both low impedance (rated at 25 ohms) and quite efficient. Question is therefore whether gain will be too high for the denon's. Can anyone advise?  TIA!

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #472 of 2,609
The 2 ohm output should be fine for your 25. I just plugged my 18 ohm, 110db/mw (your Denons are 108db/mw, I believe) Klipsch Image S4s into the amp and am listening at a very comfortable loudness around 10 o'clock on the knob, with my input volumes all at max.

Edit: 9 o'clock would be more accurate. Started with a quiet recording.  

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #474 of 2,609
I have no problem adjusting down to, and within, a very quiet range, or a medium range of volume, or high, of course. In terms of operating easily in different slices of the volume pot, I also use this amp to power a couple of Klipsch RP-160M speakers (thanks for the inspiration, Steve!), which is a wattage difference versus impedance, but I never find micro-control lacking on either end.  

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #475 of 2,609
That microzotl40 is s beast. Im starting to save now.

Yes it is.  I am also looking for the impression too.

Urban hifi also said that we can get the headphone out too.  May be we have to pay
extra.  The input of the Zotl40 with have volume attenuator so we can control the energy output
to the headphone section.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #477 of 2,609
  Folks, I am an old Berning fan - have owned 4 of his power amps, at one time or another. Would love to try this amp. My issue is that I have two very disparate pairs of headphones - one Senn HD650 with Cardas cable, which I am sure would work fine, and the other being Denon AH-D7000's, which are both low impedance (rated at 25 ohms) and quite efficient. Question is therefore whether gain will be too high for the denon's. Can anyone advise?  TIA!

I own the Denon AH-D7000's also.  No.  Gain is not too high.  Get ready for some BASS, however.  The MicroZOTL 2, as I understand it, is linear throughout the frequency range, including the low end.  So, to me the Denon AH D7000's almost sound boomy.    I think that's the Denons, and not the MicroZOTL 2. 

p.s. You'll LOVE this amplifier.  It's MAGICAL with the HE-1000s. 
p.p.s. I also own the old Denon AH-D700's.  That's seven hundred, not seven thousand.  I posted about them with the MZ 2 here

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #478 of 2,609

I own the Denon AH-D7000's also.  No.  Gain is not too high.  Get ready for some BASS, however.  The MicroZOTL 2, as I understand it, is linear throughout the frequency range, including the low end.  So, to me the Denon AH D7000's almost sound boomy.    I think that's the Denons, and not the MicroZOTL 2. 

p.s. You'll LOVE this amplifier.  It's MAGICAL with the HE-1000s. 
p.p.s. I also own the old Denon AH-D700's.  That's seven hundred, not seven thousand.  I posted about them with the MZ 2 here

Thanks - yeah, I can imagine the D7000's becoming a bit overripe in the bass. Probably would not bother me unless it's pretty bad.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #479 of 2,609
I've used them with some in ears, the Zen ear buds to be specific, work great (Zen has a high impedance). Also tried with the acs Encore ciem, a bit of hiss, not as good a combo.

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #480 of 2,609

Thanks - yeah, I can imagine the D7000's becoming a bit overripe in the bass. Probably would not bother me unless it's pretty bad.

No it isn't that bad.  But this tuning bias becomes more obvious with the highly resolving MicroZOTL 2.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back