MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Oct 15, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #451 of 2,609
Cool, speakers are tempting to try with the ZOTL...

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #452 of 2,609
The "About" section of the Linear Tube Audio website is an enjoyable read.*  It goes a long way towards explaining why the stunning sound quality we're hearing from the MicroZOTL 2 isn't "too good to be true," even at that price point.  Mark's so unassuming to talk to, so humble and down to earth, that you wouldn't know how technically proficient he is--until you have listening experience with one of his audio products.  This is very good news for audiophiles, I think.   

*No, I don't work for him, he didn't ask me to say this (or anything else--ever), we're not related, and I didn't get a discount on the MicroZOTL 2.  I've only talked with him by phone a very few times; we've never even met in person.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #453 of 2,609
The MICROZOTL2 is AMAZING! Best amp I've ever owned.

And the customer service/support from Mark at Urban HiFi is just exemplary. Absolutely wonderful.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #454 of 2,609
@Beagle

Could you describe the sound signature of the MICROZOTL2 in some detail? Is the sound thick/warm/neutral/lean? What about dynamic (punchy bass? Recessed mids? Or bright trebles)? Transparency? Resolution?  Does tube rolling make significant differences in sound? How is the amp compared to other tube or SS amps you have heard?

I am in the process of searching for a mid-budget tube amp. Your impressions will be helpful. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #455 of 2,609
  @Beagle

Could you describe the sound signature of the MICROZOTL2 in some detail? Is the sound thick/warm/neutral/lean? What about dynamic (punchy bass? Recessed mids? Or bright trebles)? Transparency? Resolution?  Does tube rolling make significant differences in sound? How is the amp compared to other tube or SS amps you have heard?

I am in the process of searching for a mid-budget tube amp. Your impressions will be helpful. Thanks.

The micro Zotl is mid budget but high end. I hear no deficits in the sound. I don't like warm and don't like cold or edgy. I like transparency, bass quality that is natural and clean with true bass notes and a dynamic quality that is what I hear in real music and this is what I hear. I know you weren't asking me but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. For me, I like the tubes that came with it just fine but I also like the round plate VT99/6F8G but they require an adapter. Otherwise there are some great 12AT7 and 6SN7 tubes that can be fun to roll but a number of people enjoy the micro as shipped. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #457 of 2,609
  @Beagle

There is no sound signature. That's why I love it.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #458 of 2,609
The micro puts out 1 watt. For the HE-6 you really need more power. I would think 3 watts or more for the HE-6 and will try them on the Zotl 10, which uses 2 EL84 tubes per side for 3 watts into 50 ohms and 10 into 8 ohms. 

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #460 of 2,609
  @Beagle; @jamato8

Thanks for the input. It seems there will be a review of the Zotl2 on the Absolute Sound soon. I'll see what is to be written. I am tempted. 

If you talk to Mark Schneider at Urban HiFi, I'm pretty sure he will give you a 30-day trial on the ​ZOTL2. If you decide you don't want it you will only be out the shipping costs. That's the way I purchased mine. You can also inquire about a demo or return and possibly save some money.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #462 of 2,609
  @dpump

Wow. Great tips. Thanks.

As I listen to mine right now, there is nooooo way it was going back. Best buy in a home amp I have ever made. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #465 of 2,609
Congrats! Sure you will enjoy the ZOTL! Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back