MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Oct 31, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,086 of 2,609
  Folks,

I'm looking for a new amp for my phones, and I think the micro ZOTL2 may be a good one to consider, but I have a few questions...

I've read all the posts (except the somewhat frenetic posts of the Mojo guy, which seemed out of place here and should have been in a different thread).

I'm currently running a Fiios X5 into a Lyr2 to a new pair of HiFiMan Edition Xv2 phones. Before that, it was into a pair of HE-400i phones.

I just purchased a Metrum Musette to put into the stream as the DAC, and I wanted to upgrade the Lyr2 to something a bit better, and was thinking of the Mjolnir2 because it uses the same tubes, which I can then carry over to them (I have some great NOS Siemens in the lyr2 ATM).

Anyway, I have been reading the posts on this new amp and am very impressed with the discussion and overall feedback, along with the reviews I've read, so I thought it may be a good alternate.

The New 's' version is a bit of a stretch for me, as I was hoping to keep it around $1000 or so. Not sure what it cost during the Massdrop promo, but it probably would have been able to talk myself into it at a discount. Too bad I missed it...

Anyway, I need some thoughts on the new 's' version vs. the older version. Since they are supposedly similarly sounding, is there a compelling reason to choose one over the other?

It seems that I can get a 'tweaked' HP amp in the 's' version, with NOS tubes, etc., but at what expense? Does the more limited tube selection present a drawback?

While I'm not a huge tube roller, I will happily do some, so I am wondering if I should go for the non-'s' version in favor of doing some tube rolling.

Beyond that, are there any other compelling differences I should consider?

Thanks,

---Michael

I used to own both Mjolnir 2 and the MicroZOTL 2. After getting the MZ2 I sold my Mjolnir 2 immediately. Both of them are good and transparent. I also have friend who listened to both and decided to keep the Mjolnir 2, so it might be a personal taste thing. 

What I can tell you is that Mjolnir 2 is a more towards solid state amp while MZ2 is more like a tube amp in some way. Look at the THD and you will know. Usually tube amps have a higher THD. But specs are not the only thing that matter to the sound. I would suggest you listen to both before buying. If you plan to go to speakers in the future then MZ2 should be your choice.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #2,087 of 2,609
Thanks for the feedback on this...

No speakers for me for this system, so that is not a concern. do tend to like the 'tube sound' but not if it is overly lush and euphonic. I have used tubes in my full size system in the past, but have settled on a tube preamp and solid state amplifier to provide a good blend of both worlds. That's why a hybrid HP amp seems to make sense to me.

However, I do want to turn it up a notch, so I'm thinking I should be looking at a point a bit higher than the Mjolnir, which is why I started reading about this amp, along with a few others, like the Cary and the Pathos, etc.

Any other thoughts or feedback is appreciated.

---Michael

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2,088 of 2,609
I've owned a MZ2 for a couple of months and it replaced a Lyr 2. The Lyr 2 had a lot of power and was a great amp for the money, but didn't come close to the level of refinement of the MZ2. This is in no way a slam on the Schiit considering the difference in price between the two amps.

I use my MZ2 with the optional LPS. I never heard it with the stock power supply so I can't tell you about how much of an improvement there was between the two. To me the MZ2 doesn't really sound like a tube amp. It's not all lush and gooey. In fact it could probably be confused with a good solid state amp if you didn't know it had tubes. The exception is that you could get tighter bass with solid state but I don't really have any issues with the bass. I use the stock tubes in it for now and think they do just fine. It runs very cool for a tube amp. Actually it runs a lot cooler than a Lyr 2.

I use mine with Fostex TH-X00 and Sennheiser HD-650s. The Fostex are easy to drive and are a great pairing with the MZ2. The amp also sounds geat with the HD-650 but needs a bit more on the volume to make it sing. I'm not very familiar with your headphones, but if they are inefficient you may be near the limits of the amp to bring them to life. Just a touch more power might be nice sometimes with harder to drive headphones.

It's a great amp, but you may find something you like as well for less money. The Torpedo III and Schiit Jotunheim are reportedly great amps that have quite a following. I have heard neither. I'm very happy with the MZ2 and don't really have an itch to try anything else for now, given the headphones I use with it the most often. Given how much this amp is hyped, there are bound to be a few people who buy one and decide it didn't quite live up to their great expectations.  You may be able to find a used one at a reasonable price and save a few dollars

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #2,089 of 2,609
  I've owned a MZ2 for a couple of months and it replaced a Lyr 2. The Lyr 2 had a lot of power and was a great amp for the money, but didn't come close to the level of refinement of the MZ2. This is in no way a slam on the Schiit considering the difference in price between the two amps.

I use my MZ2 with the optional LPS. I never heard it with the stock power supply so I can't tell you about how much of an improvement there was between the two. To me the MZ2 doesn't really sound like a tube amp. It's not all lush and gooey. In fact it could probably be confused with a good solid state amp if you didn't know it had tubes. The exception is that you could get tighter bass with solid state but I don't really have any issues with the bass. I use the stock tubes in it for now and think they do just fine. It runs very cool for a tube amp. Actually it runs a lot cooler than a Lyr 2.

I use mine with Fostex TH-X00 and Sennheiser HD-650s. The Fostex are easy to drive and are a great pairing with the MZ2. The amp also sounds geat with the HD-650 but needs a bit more on the volume to make it sing. I'm not very familiar with your headphones, but if they are inefficient you may be near the limits of the amp to bring them to life. Just a touch more power might be nice sometimes with harder to drive headphones.

It's a great amp, but you may find something you like as well for less money. The Torpedo III and Schiit Jotunheim are reportedly great amps that have quite a following. I have heard neither. I'm very happy with the MZ2 and don't really have an itch to try anything else for now, given the headphones I use with it the most often. Given how much this amp is hyped, there are bound to be a few people who buy one and decide it didn't quite live up to their great expectations.  You may be able to find a used one at a reasonable price and save a few dollars

Yes. When I'm listening to Radiohead's (Moon Shaped Pool, Rainbows, Kid A...and so on.... where there's a good balance of robust mid bass and mids and treble) I can easily get lost in the layers and layers of detail rich music, it's sublime and breath taking. I feel like you are immersed in deep layers and layers of musical space.
However, when I'm listening to something like Journey's Escape (Remastered) which is on the slightly thin, cold and bright side, it can sound a little too harsh and edgy. And this is with the upgraded tubes (I imagine with the stock tubes it would be even more lean and bright). I don't blame the ZOTLS-2 but I think with recordings which tend to be lean, I may prefer something like the Elise Feliks to give it some more rounded tubey warm mids. This is on the HD800 (which is really the problem). With warmer headphones, no such problem exists. My Nhoord and JH13 never sounded better. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2,090 of 2,609

Yes. When I'm listening to Radiohead's (Moon Shaped Pool, Rainbows, Kid A...and so on.... where there's a good balance of robust mid bass and mids and treble) I can easily get lost in the layers and layers of detail rich music, it's sublime and breath taking. I feel like you are immersed in deep layers and layers of musical space.
However, when I'm listening to something like Journey's Escape (Remastered) which is on the slightly thin, cold and bright side, it can sound a little too harsh and edgy. And this is with the upgraded tubes (I imagine with the stock tubes it would be even more lean and bright). I don't blame the ZOTLS-2 but I think with recordings which tend to be lean, I may prefer something like the Elise Feliks to give it some more rounded tubey warm mids. This is on the HD800 (which is really the problem). With warmer headphones, no such problem exists. My Nhoord and JH13 never sounded better. 

No issues with the Focal Utopia. If music sounds thin, it is the recording, on my setup. I use the Sylvania 6SN7W and 7062 most of the time. I use the Chord Hugo to feed the MZ2. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #2,091 of 2,609
I use my MZ2 with LPS + Pangea Powercable, Amperex 7062 + Original Tungsol 6SN7. After 200h burn in never heard so good music !!

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #2,092 of 2,609

2 MicroZOTL2S, driving Sadnurni Acoustic Miracle Horn Speakers (with Wolf Audio Red Wolf Server and Veracity Audio Chrysalis DAC), at the NY Audio Show this past Saturday (pardon the bad cell photos), up there with the best sound I heard at the show, no foolin'...

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #2,093 of 2,609

2 MicroZOTL2S, driving Sadnurni Acoustic Miracle Horn Speakers (with Wolf Audio Red Wolf Server and Veracity Audio Chrysalis DAC), at the NY Audio Show this past Saturday (pardon the bad cell photos), up there with the best sound I heard at the show, no foolin'...

While those speakers may sound great, I fear that they may have very low SAF (spouse acceptance factor). At least they would in my house.

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #2,094 of 2,609
That was my line to my friends at the show...maybe you could sneak them into the house as flower pots, say your taking up the tuba...:D

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,095 of 2,609
I sometimes use my Microzotl2-S as a preamp to my humble 2 channel set up (b&k amp and 705 b&w speakers) with chord mojo as source and they never sounded so good.

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #2,096 of 2,609
One of these days I'm going to put the ZOTL into my main rig as a preamp (have to bring it all the way downstairs, though, oy)! :xf_eek:

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #2,097 of 2,609
One of these days I'm going to put the ZOTL into my main rig as a preamp (have to bring it all the way downstairs, though, oy)!
redface.gif

oy vey, a serious undertaking! or you could import some head fi dudes to create a massive stereo relocation upgrade for you!!!
ZOTL2 sure sounds fine as a preamp into my Fostex near field powered speakers, absolutely wonderful!

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #2,098 of 2,609
Not to hijack this thread, but I just got my ZOTL40 power amp yesterday, and it's incredible. That same pristine holographic sound we love from the MZ2 filling the entire room.

Driven by Illuminati-powered MZ2, with Mojo Audio server and DAC. I am now in complete audio heaven. 

Edit: I created a thread for Mojo Audio servers and DACs. I really love these devices (and out of the MZ2/ZOTL40...so nice...), but haven't seen much on Headfi about them. Head here for my impressions or if you have any as well: http://www.head-fi.org/t/825205/mojo-audio-dacs-and-servers

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #2,099 of 2,609
Nov 15, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,100 of 2,609
  My review unit will be going back in a few days, but I'm very glad to have had the chance to check it out. I've not released measurements of it, but here are my subjective thoughts: Review: Linear Tube Audio microZOTL2,0 – Bass in the mine

And punch the mZ2 with a pair of 6SN7W and 7062 tubes and even higher you go. An excellent, excellent value that many would have had to pay 4 to 5 times as much to get this sound and even then, they may not achieve it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back