MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
May 20, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #1,591 of 2,609
+1 on the Ztl 2/LC comparisons, the LC is very good, but the Ztl 2 with LPS is much better. Clarity, bass, soundstage, and immiging are far superior. My LC is staying in my bedside system (a nod to good DrJazz for the Rx) and the Ztl will stay in my main system, my Auralic Taurus Mk. 2 is headed to the F/S Thread.

While I like, and use the LC, the ZOTL with the LPS is much better, not even close! (And, it costs considerably more to boot, should be better).
Was going to try the ZOTL as a preamp into my Krell amp, but I read somewhere connecting it to a muscle power amp was a bad idea (and I got the single ended interconnect to try it, usually run it balanced). Should I not do this?

May 20, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #1,592 of 2,609
Was going to try the ZOTL as a preamp into my Krell amp, but I read somewhere connecting it to a muscle power amp was a bad idea (and I got the single ended interconnect to try it, usually run it balanced).

I wish I had an answer for you, but I'm interested to know this too... My intention was to drive my stereo with it 3/4 of the time and use it with headphones the other 1/4 or so of the time. I love headphones but I love a full size stereo more.

May 20, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #1,593 of 2,609
Was going to try the ZOTL as a preamp into my Krell amp, but I read somewhere connecting it to a muscle power amp was a bad idea (and I got the single ended interconnect to try it, usually run it balanced).

I wish I had an answer for you, but I'm interested to know this too... My intention was to drive my stereo with it 3/4 of the time and use it with headphones the other 1/4 or so of the time. I love headphones but I love a full size stereo more.

I'm OK using the ZOTL for headphones, have a good sounding preamp in the main system, more for curiosity...

May 20, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,594 of 2,609
While I like, and use the LC, the ZOTL with the LPS is much better, not even close! (And, it costs considerably more to boot, should be better).
Was going to try the ZOTL as a preamp into my Krell amp, but I read somewhere connecting it to a muscle power amp was a bad idea (and I got the single ended interconnect to try it, usually run it balanced). Should I not do this?

Why is it a bad idea?

May 20, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #1,595 of 2,609
I wish I could find the post, someone said it was unsafe to use it that way, should use it into a tube amp, impedance or something like that I don't understand...:xf_eek:

May 20, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #1,597 of 2,609
I sure hope this isn't true. I've been using my MZ2 into my Krell KAV 300i (not such a muscle amp as most Krells) straight for a few days. Sounds great. No issues so far.

Hmmm, have a KSA-150 (pretty old unit), not the most powerful Krell out there, but pretty powerful. Maybe I'll give it a try...

May 20, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,598 of 2,609
I wish I could find the post, someone said it was unsafe to use it that way, should use it into a tube amp, impedance or something like that I don't understand...
redface.gif

I sure hope this isn't true. I've been using my MZ2 into my Krell KAV 300i (not such a muscle amp as most Krells) straight for a few days. Sounds great. No issues so far.

Basically you just don't want the turn on/off thumps to be amplified by a big amp into your delicate, expensive speakers. So, the MicroZOTL2 should be the first thing on and the last thing off. From the manual:

Preamplifier Outputs
There is a pair of RCA jacks on the back of the unit labeled “Preamp Out” which is designed to 
provide the input for a power amplifier when using the microZOTL as a preamplifier. 
CAUTION: when connecting to a direct coupled solid state power amplifier, the turn on and turn 
off transients might be dangerous to the speakers. It is highly recommended that when using the 
microZOTL as a preamplifier with direct coupled solid state power amps, first turn on the 
microZOTL, then turn on the power amplifier, and when turning off, first turn off the power 
amplifier, then turn off the microZOTL. This is not an issue when using tube power amps.

May 20, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #1,599 of 2,609

Basically you just don't want the turn on/off thumps to be amplified by a big amp into your delicate, expensive speakers. So, the MicroZOTL2 should be the first thing on and the last thing off. From the manual:

Hmm, that's nothing different than what I've been doing. I was getting the impression the ZOTL might output a somehow harmful signal, glad to hear that isn't the case :)

May 21, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #1,600 of 2,609
Knew I read it somewhere, thanks for the clarification.

May 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #1,601 of 2,609
As for Bal to SE and SE to Bal, yes, one good adapter can do your whole collection.

Of course at the recent ABQ Head-Fi meet we did a shoot out between three different HD800 cables. There was one expensive cable with pure silver wire, one very expensive cable with air dielectric single crystal copper and Furutech's best connectors, and one DIY cable made from $60 in pro audio parts.

Nearly everyone preferred the $60 DIY cable. 

So on one hand it would seem a bit silly to use one of those adapters when nearly anyone can watch a You Tube video on making cables, buy $20 in tools, and make jaw-dropping DIY headphone cables for about $60. Of course some of you might want a more experienced DIY friend to assemble it for you.

On the other hand, the DIY cable that won that shoot out was the only one of the three that was hindered with one of those 1/4" to XLR adapter cables.

Of course the adapter cable used in that cable shoot off was made from the same pro audio Peacock MkII wire and Neutrik connectors Allen used to make the headphone cable. So if you're not going to DIY your own new cables for your mZ2, you may want to at least DIY a good quality adapter :wink:

Just in case anyone is interested, this is where I got my Peacock MkII cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meterware-Sommer-Cable-Patch-Kabel-Mikrofon-Kabel-SC-Peacock-MKII-853971-/311122374894?hash=item487056b0ee:g:-DIAAOxycgVTgdsK

And this is the official distributor Allen linked me to:

http://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cables/Bulk-Cables-Audio/Patch-Mikrofonkabel-SC-Peacock-MKII-200-0552.html

I bought some to make cables for the headphones we're using to demo at audiophile shows with LTA on the mZ2 with my PSU...need I say more?

May 21, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,602 of 2,609
Sounds good, Ben,BUT...you build dacs and per power supplies. Not all that appealing to those of us who get help changing light bulbs...:)

May 21, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #1,603 of 2,609
Making cables is not rocket surgery.

Making an adapter or headphone cable would be an excellent low cost confidence building first DIY project.

Peacock wire is pro audio dual coax that requires very little skill or tools:

1. With a hand wire stripper carefully remove the insulation,
2. Tin the ends of the wire and tin the contact on the connector.
3. Sweat/solder the tinned wire and contact.
4. Close the connector and possibly cover with shrink.
5. Check for shorts/opens with a tester.

Anyone that has the skills to follow a recipe and cook a stir fry could make a set of cables with this or any other standard pro audio wire.

You could watch a You Tube video on making cables or I bet there would be some local guy(s) that could show you a few tricks to get you started.

About a third of the guys at our local Head-Fi meet up were doing some DIY (like making cable or building kits).

Come to the dark side...we have cookies :wink:

May 21, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #1,604 of 2,609
I'm very happy with the 'Zotl 2 as a pre... it betters my updated CJ PV10A and the  pre section that came with the Prima Luna integrated. Using it as pre to feed
Magnepan 1.7's has made me realize the Hifiman HE 400's are slow compared to transient snap of the Magnepans. 

May 22, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #1,605 of 2,609
Just had a funny experience. Was listening to a really-well recorded album of Baroque lute music (yeah, yeah) with my MZ2 and Ethers, thinking that it was nice that the swallows had returned to the neighborhood outside because I could hear them tweeting in the distance. Only, then I realized it wasn't the swallows in the distance, just the guy's fingers moving along the strings....

The sound is THAT clear and natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back