MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
May 18, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,561 of 2,609
Does one have to PLAY live music to be a reliable source? I always thought going to HEAR live music also a way to appreciate what music sounds like. I also often find SOME (note the some for the generalization) musicians have so much of the sound inside their heads, they are not as concerned about the actual sound in space.
How about playing guitar or piano for fun and friends at home? Qualify one to judge sound?
But, I'd agree that a musician who has an interest in sound as well is a great resource.
My $0.02.

May 18, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,562 of 2,609
Does one have to PLAY live music to be a reliable source? I always thought going to HEAR live music also a way to appreciate what music sounds like.
My $0.02.

I agree 100%. It's just that people who play it hear the same stuff in all different environments. Even playing an acoustic instrument in your own home helps so much. I didn't mean to imply it wasn't good enough to hear live music. All the better if you still go to hear live music! That way the "true sound" stays fresh in your mind
wink.gif

May 18, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,563 of 2,609
There was actually an interesting interview with Peter Wolf (J. Giles Band and solo career), where the interviewer, Robert Baird, expected to be pulling stuff out of Wolf, but would up being bombarded with questions about the Stereophile staff, Wolf was an long time reader and audiophile and was very curious about the writers he'd been following in the magazine. I thought it was pretty cool...

http://www.stereophile.com/content/peter-wolf-hard-drivin-man#P48lKhWir2thAPwB.97

May 18, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,564 of 2,609
Some LTA Omni's getting assembled today, saucy. 
ph34r.gif
Almost ready for ZOTL action.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 18, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,565 of 2,609
May 18, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,567 of 2,609
May 18, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,568 of 2,609
There was actually an interesting interview with Peter Wolf (J. Giles Band and solo career), where the interviewer, Robert Baird, expected to be pulling stuff out of Wolf, but would up being bombarded with questions about the Stereophile staff, Wolf was an long time reader and audiophile and was very curious about the writers he'd been following in the magazine. I thought it was pretty cool...

http://www.stereophile.com/content/peter-wolf-hard-drivin-man#P48lKhWir2thAPwB.97

This was a great read, thanks for the link
beerchug.gif

I'm not on team ZOTL yet but will be soon.

May 18, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #1,569 of 2,609
Interesting comparison/review above on the different power supplies that can be used with the MZ2. 

I have the Mojo V5 and enjoy using and it is a good step up from the stock supply of the MZ2. For me though I find that the LPS improves on some areas of the V5. I get a small amount of increased dynamics, layering and transparency to the sound. This surprised me, knowing what goes into the V5 and that top of the line components are used but it is what I hear using a number of different TOTL headphones. My source may be DSD to DoP to the Chord Hugo or hi resolution and lossless of other types using Twau cable on headphones and for IC. I find the LPS to be an exception deal. 

On the MZ2 this is with 7062 and round plate 6F8G tubes or stock. 

May 18, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #1,570 of 2,609
Still learning more and more about this amp.  I always thought full power from source into MicroZOTL is the best way to go.  For the HD800S that's how I like it.  For my Grados, I need to reduce the 3V output from the Mojo to about 2V and I'm enjoying them a lot more with this amp.  I read about this in the Mojo thread and figured I'd give it a shot.  Goes to show that there are lots of way to tweak performance and I haven't even started with tubes or cables yet.  I'm using Blue Jean Cables for my interconnects.

That ZMF headphone looks awesome.  I'll need another headphone stand in order to justify getting one 
tongue.gif

May 18, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #1,571 of 2,609
  There are not nearly enough reviews on this site by people who have extensive experience playing live music. It affects the believability of a review 100x for me personally at least.

I am curious did the older model ZOTL just use an internal transformer or something?

true dat. live music is a good reference for what are goals are in headphone listening for me.
my buddies who are professional musicians really appreciate my headphone set ups when they
visit me, and can hear the difference immediately from ordinary headphone gear. Neal Stone,who
played with Pat Methany extensively and lives down my block always loves to hear the latest
upgrades and can hear them immediately at the highest level of perception. 

the first microZOTL was plugged directly into the wall and benefited from upgraded power cables a lot.
but it also had a switch to let it play off a 12 volt source, so it must have an internal transformer.
i never tried it on 12 volts, but now i use as Joule 2 from Mojo Audio to run it and it sounds fabulous.
not as good as a Joule 5 on the new version ZOTL2 however, which is somewhat  smoother and more dynamic
since it has upgraded Russian, tubes, but still the same Sound signature, since its the same circuits.
The improvement with the prototype Illuminati power supply from Mojo Audio is scary good though....but that
one is more expensive than the ZOTL 2 itself....

May 18, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #1,572 of 2,609
Still learning more and more about this amp.  I always thought full power from source into MicroZOTL is the best way to go.  For the HD800S that's how I like it.  For my Grados, I need to reduce the 3V output from the Mojo to about 2V and I'm enjoying them a lot more with this amp.  I read about this in the Mojo thread and figured I'd give it a shot.  Goes to show that there are lots of way to tweak performance and I haven't even started with tubes or cables yet.  I'm using Blue Jean Cables for my interconnects.

That ZMF headphone looks awesome.  I'll need another headphone stand in order to justify getting one :p .

That's been my problem...I bought to many stands, now I have to get headphones to keep them busy...:)

May 18, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #1,573 of 2,609
Hi everyone,

Benjamin from Mojo Audio posting on Head-Fi for the first time (seriously).

So here's my ZOTL story...

drbluenewmexico is a local OCD audiophile, music lover, and music promoter - there's nothing in ABQ like a Dr. Blue party with live music!

The only good thing I got custody of when me and my ex broke up was Dr. Blue (long story, but he smiled when he read that).

I've never met anyone with more of a "collection" of headphones and headphone amps than Dr. Blue. He's got a vintage pair of Apogee Diva speakers and a pair of boat anchor class A Krell amps in his living room, but all he wants to listen to are his many world class headphones. When I first met him I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

I'm not sure if it was before or after he got his "after production" microZOTL1 from David Berning that he sent me a link to all this tech stuff on the ZOTL circuit, but I've been an EE and audiophile DIY hobbyist for decades, and this was one of the first ORIGINAL circuits I'd ever seen.

I had to hear that :wink:

Now historically I've owned many of the whose who of headphones, but due to comfort and no need, I always gravitated toward speakers. I actually owned a computer embroidery and uniform business for over a decade and made the hats, shirts, and jackets for the original HeadRoom team (who have since gone solo). They would send me anything I wanted to audition (OK...they wouldn't send me an Orpheus) and give me a deal on anything I wanted to barter for the wearable HeadRoom swag my company manufactured.

Some of the headphones I've owned (think of Goldie Locks and the Three Bears):

Stax SR-3 (no bass)
Grado GS100 (too hard)
Sennheiser HD600 (too soft...too much bass)
AKG K1000 (too uncomfortable)
Denon D2000 (close but no cigar)
Audeze LCD-2 (sounded like computers playing flawless music)
MrSpeakers Ether and Ether C (very, very close, but no cigar)
Sennheiser HD800 (too close...please back off a bit)

And many, many, more portable and less prestigious headphones.

So the first time I heard Dr. Blue's microZOTL1 I was floored. Keeping in mind that over the years I'd borrowed the best HeadRoom had to offer and built a half a dozen of my own DIY headphone amps. Dr. Blue had a well worn set of HD650s and I can't remember Sennheisers ever sounding so good. I seriously considered getting one, but I'd never gotten that much into headphones. They were always something to listen to when my lady wanted to sleep or for when I was on the road...certainly not my first choice.

Dr. Blue told the story of my bringing over an old used PSU for him to hear. After that it seemed like years went by with me visiting Dr. Blue and hearing his latest favorite headphones on his microZOTL1 (I've even bought some of his 2nd favorite headphones from him).

Then all of a sudden he's got this new microZOTL2 to audition - at the time I didn't realize what was going on between Dr. Blue, Mark, and David.

OK...it was black...I liked the look of his original blue metal and glass one better...sort of sounded like the original...I wondered what it would sound like with a decent PSU?

I dropped off an old Joule v1, listened for a bit, Dr. Blue loved the sound, and I never thought much of it after that. Why would I consider such an expensive headphone amp when I had such a good loudspeaker system?

A few months went by and Mark gave me a call about us potentially exhibiting together...that was the beginning of the end :p

Once I heard the microZOTL2 Mark sent me with my latest and greatest PSU and my digital source and I couldn't listen to my custom Maggies anymore.

That was it.

Every time I tried to listen to my loudspeaker system all I would hear would be the limitations of physics and the flaws in the room.

It didn't take long before my uncompromising reference system was my microZOTL2 - no loudspeaker system could compare.

In order to do my R&D I needed something as accurate as the microZOTL2 powered by a proper PSU and one of the better dynamic headphones (I've been through quite a few this year).

How else could I know what my DAC and music server prototypes actually sounded like?

Fast forward and my company has been exhibiting with Linear Tube Audio (ZOTL) at Can Jams and audiophile shows for over a year now.

You could not believe that a ZOTL40 drives my "acoustic sponge" Maggies almost as hard as my 400wpc hybrid Counterpoint SA-220 amp that I've highly customized. 

And then my story took a turn...

A few weeks ago there was a Head-Fi meetup (more like a swap meet) and I heard Stax Omega SR-007 Mk1s for the first time played on a custom DIY direct-drive electrostatic amp (thanks Jim) with my prototype digital source...it took less than 30 seconds before I knew I had to have it (you all know what I mean).

So Dr. Blue had 20+ year old Stax Lambda headphones and a T1 amp he's been trying to barter with me for years that I finally snagged up (he prefers the more visceral sound of the microZOTL2). I've been restoring and upgrading the T1 amp for weeks (now better than new) and just bartered a set of Stax SR-007 Mk1s from Jim from the Head-Fi swap meet...er...meet up (Jim just bought a set of SR-007 Mk2s).

So Allen has my HD800s...Tony wants my Stax Lambda Pros that I got from Dr. Blue...Tony got Jim's half done Stax electrostatic amp kit...and those are just the transactions I was involved in. Not to mention that Tony, Jim, and I have meet for the past two weeks since the Head-Fi meet up to discuss the ultimate electrostatic headphone amp circuit?

This is what happened when the Santa Fe Audio Society meet the Albuquerque Head-Fi group (LOL!).

So last week I'm talking to Mark from ZOTL about our room at the upcoming RMAF and I reluctantly let slip that I switched to Stax ear speakers. Mark told me that he's been talking to David about a small board that converts the ZOTL10 into an electrostatic headphone amp (God loves me).

I've actually been bugging Mark to loan me a ZOTL10 to try in my bedroom...how cool would that be that it could drive my new/used Stax Omegas too :wink:

Can you only imagine the ZOTL10 electrostatic amp powered by my new Illuminati PSU driving one of Stax best ears speakers?!?!?!?

Well I can :p

Mark is not sure if or when he's going to make a prototype electrostatic headphone amp.

Of course I told him where to send his first prototype :wink:

Please feel free to disturb Mark at all hours of the day and night in regards to prototyping an electrostatic headphone amp.

If he starts now we may have it in time for RMAF in October :wink:

Oh...and don't mention to Mark that I told you about the ZOTL electrostatic headphone amp...it's supposed to be a secret :wink:

May 18, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #1,574 of 2,609
Welcome aboard, Ben! Keep us posted on anything you come up with or impressions when you can. The Stax have been on my radar for a while...I own a pair of Koss ESP-950's, which I like (need to send them back to Koss, one side currently not working), do some things really well, really fast. These are said to be the gateway drug to Stax.

May 18, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #1,575 of 2,609
If anyone has heard the Stax Omegas and felt they were just OK, that is because they never heard them with a source and/or amp worthy of them.

Similarly I hated HD800s for years until I heard them on a proper system - they always sounded like crap at the shows - now they're one of my favorite dynamic headphones.

Less than 20% of the amps I've seen at shows can properly drive the HD800s.

I had no idea what the HD600s and HD650s could sound like until I heard them on a ZOTL and they are much easier to drive than the HD800s.

Of course you can drive a set of Ether Cs on just about anything and they would sound good (they just sound better on a ZOTL).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back