MHDT Havana DAC
Mar 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,831 of 2,680
I never heard the Raytheon no but I guess it will improve with some more hours of using. If you're brave enough to read the whole discussions you can find many comments about tubes with havana (may be you already did it). Here's some from different people :

1) Bendix 6385 from 1964 - the most natural ever heard, detailed, very wide soundstage - the best
2) Bendix 6385 from fifties - to me dry and lifeless, It has very strange characteristic, but some people like it much.
3) JW 396a early fifties- very very nice sounding tube, my second favourite; May be a bit more enjoyable than Bendix 6385 50's
4) Ericsson 396a - dark but first class tube
5) tesla 6cc42 - warm, first class

Bendix 6385 - Widest soundstage, bit thin sounding compared to Bendix 2c51 or JW 396a
Bendix 2c51 - second widest soundstage, slightly fuller bodied middle than 6385
JW 396a (50') - still very wide soundstage, the sweetest middle, smooth, analogue sounding
Ericsson 2c51 (gold pin) - leaner sounding, balanced, fast, clear

1) The bendix white boxed from late 60's : Dry and lifeless sound but very detailed and widestaged, not common at all, the highs are excellent, your ears are not being stung when the music's very loud. They can kick your ears. :)
2) bendix 1964 - full of life and truthful sound, very analogue sounding tube, extremely detailed, widestaged, close to JW WE396A from eary fifties but much more accurate,faster bass response, better dynamics.
3) bendix from 1957, best in my opinion, refine and exquisite analogue very real sound. Probably superior to all 2c51's, very close to bendix 1964's

LM Ericsson 2C51 Gold Pin. My favorite, smooth, detailed an involving. Brent Jesse is asking $100 for this tube. At the $25 I paid it's an absolute steal!
GE 5-Star 5670WA - The detail champion, but this tube can sound a little thin an analytical on some vintage or vocal recordings.
Bendix 2C51- This tube provides a very happy middle ground between the Ericsson and the GE 5-Star.
1950's Raytheon JRP-5670 & 1964 CK-5670 Grey Plate Windmill Getter- A great tube top to bottom. Not quite as smooth or detailed as the Ericsson. For $7 this has the best price to performance I've found.
1950's Tungsol 2C51 - This is a very rich, balanced tube. It would rank higher if not for the loss in detail at both frequency extremes.
RCA Command - Maybe a notch below the Raytheon and Bendix in terms of detail. Overall a very good tube for the $7 these can be had for.
WE396a - Too much mid emphasis for me. However, to my ear no tube sounds better with Beatles recordings and some other recordings of that era. I may have got a crap pair off of Ebay though.
Havana stock tube - not bad at all, I used it for burn in.

* note : JJ 6386 is also much appreciated

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,832 of 2,680

[size=medium]Mako44, thank you very much for this concise resume about the tube reviews.[/size]

[size=medium]So far I only have the stock GE 5670, the Raytheon CK5670, and a spare GE 5670 that I’ve bought for only $4 at Bangkok's Ban-Mor market. [/size]

[size=medium]And I have just ordered a WE 396A/2C51 from Tube World:[/size]

[size=medium]Platinum tube 1950’s 396A/2C51 WE NOS D getter original box (326=1953) (37/26 and 38/26)[/size]

Quote:
If you do not like it "at the first sight", the tube is not for you.

[size=medium]Probably, but in this case this is not easy to decide, because I still have many other parameters to combine in order to get the best synergy from my gear.[/size]

1. [size=medium]Havana > Sense G3 [size=8pt](Telefunken ECC801S & E88CC Tesla Gold Ring Cz. Rep) [size=small]> HD650[/size][/size][/size]
[size=medium]                  Sweet, warm and non-fatigue. Very enjoyable for my personal taste. I find myself again listening music for hours, like on those old times before the CD players and the remote controls with FF and Skip Track buttons were invented.[/size]

1. [size=medium]Havana > Cavalli CTH [size=8pt](Amperex Buggle Boy 6DJ8)[size=x-small] [/size][size=small]> HD650[/size][/size][/size]
[size=medium]                    A little bit more of soundstage, detail, and bass punch/definition than the G3. But I find the highs harsh and sound-fatiguing. Less harsh when I use the GE 5670 instead of the Raytheon at the Havana, as I have commented. I should try if it can be improved by replacing the MKS film caps at the CTH for PIO caps.[/size]

[size=medium]I do not mind to scarify certain “analytical details” or “sparkness” for the sake of a warm and non-fatiguing sound. (I have spend few years doing music-production with the RME FF-400. The RME gives you enough analytical details, when monitoring through headphones, to generate a nasty migraine on your head. It is good for production, but not enjoyable for relaxed music listening) The ideal thing would be a combination of the sweetness of the G3 with the soundstage and bass definition of the CTH. [/size]

[size=medium]I have not yet tried the Havana with my other headphone amps (La Figaro 332C, RME FF400 and Practical Devices XM6). And there are other parameters that I still have to combine: more than 30 different NOS tubes for the amplifiers, and a box full of capacitors.[/size]

[size=medium]I will experiment with different combinations before jumping to the Bendix.[/size]

[size=medium]There is no room for boredom. Like someone said: “so many tubes so little time” 
happy_face1.gif
[/size]

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #1,833 of 2,680
Quote:

1. [size=medium]Havana > Sense G3 [size=8pt](Telefunken ECC801S & E88CC Tesla Gold Ring Cz. Rep) [size=small]> HD650[/size][/size][/size]
[size=medium]                  Sweet, warm and non-fatigue. Very enjoyable for my personal taste. I find myself again listening music for hours, like on those old times before the CD players and the remote controls with FF and Skip Track buttons were invented.[/size]

So you should like the WE 396a you ordered, this is exactly that kind of sound. A bit expensive compared to others but quality is here, you can't really find better for havana if you want something warm and sweet (except bendix may be but they're so expensive, I'm not sure the difference of price worth it).

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #1,834 of 2,680
Let's talk about power supply. What power-cables use / have used for Havana? (I intend to change soon the transformer with R-Core and thought to a PS-Audio PerfectWave AC5, or Wireworld Electra 5.2 power cord...Budget is somewhere around $ 400. I already have a filter Fisch Audiotechnik). I think that Havana is sensitive to power supply.

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,835 of 2,680
My power cable is a Clearer Audio Copper Line one I bought on futureshop : http://www.futureshop.co.uk/the-copperline-power-cable-iec-1m-p-2871.html. However I unfortunately can't give you details on it as I didn't make comparisons with other ones so I guess it won't help you a lot. All I can say is it works and don't feel necessary to change it
bigsmile_face.gif

Other subect : My new amp is a bit duller than my last one (it was a Primare i30, quite detailed and opened) so I replaced the 3 silver mica caps by 0.1uf Clarity Caps MR, it completely revolutioned my DAC (and hifi system) ! Silver mica caps gave clarity but Clarity MR caps go 3 times more far... Improvements are very big regarding resolution, spatiality and live feeling. I you like dull sensations don't try it but if you want more highs or just to open your hifi system you absolutely have to keep these caps in mind.

Everything sounds much more realistic as I hear much more details such as chords noises on guitars or violins, breathes of singers, applauses, atmosphere of the room/hall and so on, it's extremely enjoyable. percussions are incredible as well. For me it's a main improvement such as shinkoh or output caps were, really. But once again, it gives a lot more highs so if you don't like that or if your system is already a bit bright I wouldn't recommend them as these caps are bright themselves. However it's never harsh at all, even on muted trumpets or violins highs are always very sweet. They're a bit expensive, around 20e, but they worth a try as they really greatly improve impressions of reality and live performance (thanks to atmosphere and details).  I think one on C12 is enough (a good place for it on my mind), coupled by more neutral caps, don't put them everywhere on the dac ot it will be too much!

I'll see in the next days if I keep them but for the moment It's not tiring at all or less musical than before.

One note however : I didn't try any other cap than SGM Silver Mica caps here so may be some others approach these feelings

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,836 of 2,680
A while ago, there was mention of the benefits of changing the 47uf and 100 uf capacitors below/in front of C5 to improve sound. Both Robeeert1 and Naimex posted on this. I believe use of Blackgate FK series 47uf 16v and 100uf 16V capacitors were mentioned. Now that I have my dac apart, I see the original parts were rated at 25V. Will the Blackgate 16V capacitors work in this situation, or will they fail because of lower rating?

Also, did anyone replace the 100uf25V and 100uf50V capacitors, and if so, what did you use?

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #1,837 of 2,680
I know while it's possible to put higher voltage it's usually not recommended to put low ones si I don't know if it's a good idea. there's none with equal or upper voltage ? I changed two 47uf caps with 100uf silmic personnaly but didn't touch the 100uf caps yet.

I tested 0.1uf Jupiter cap instead of Clarity MR on C12, well Jupiter are very clear as well ! They're both close from each others I thought differences would have been larger. However there's more air and extension with Clarity MR while everything's a bit more confined with Jupiter. Extra details and atmosphere feelings with Clarity ones, I really love them on my system but Jupiter are from very good quality as well, it's a question of tastes and synergy now. I'd say Clarity MR go a tight futher in naturality and reality whereas I had a bit more the feeling to listen to the cap with Jupiter but this one would be slightly more tender with bad recordings or low quality tracks (mp3) or harsh systems. They're close anyway.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,838 of 2,680

Quote:
A while ago, there was mention of the benefits of changing the 47uf and 100 uf capacitors below/in front of C5 to improve sound. Both Robeeert1 and Naimex posted on this. I believe use of Blackgate FK series 47uf 16v and 100uf 16V capacitors were mentioned. Now that I have my dac apart, I see the original parts were rated at 25V. Will the Blackgate 16V capacitors work in this situation, or will they fail because of lower rating?

Also, did anyone replace the 100uf25V and 100uf50V capacitors, and if so, what did you use?

As I remember I changed Nichicon 100uf 25V with BG "F" 100uF 25V for much better bass response and Nichicon 47uF with BG "FK" 47uF for better tonality.
Do some experiments with higher values. Higher values are better for 8/10 cases.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #1,839 of 2,680
Blackgate capacitors have gotten quite pricey now that they are discontinued. I have a Blackgate FK series 47uf16V capacitor and an FK series 100uf16V capacitor. Blackgate only made the 47uf one in a 16V version, although I can get a Blackgate FK series 100uf25V capacitor. Blackgate never made a 100uf F series capacitor with a 25V rating; it was rated for 35V. Unfortunately, I have no source for F series Blackgate capacitors.

My options at this point are to:
1) Use the 47uf16V and 100uf16V Blackgate FK series capacitors I have
2) Use the 47uf16V FK Series Blackgate capacitor and leave the 100uf one as stock
3) Use the 47uf16V FK Series Blackgate capacitor, and order a 100uf25V Blackgate FK series capacitor
3) Use the 47uf16V FK Series Blackgate capacitor, and order a higher rating ELNA Silmic II RFS 100uf25V capacitor
4) Order an ELNA Silmic II RFS 47uf25V capacitor AND a ELNA Silmic II RFS 100uf25V capacitor

My use of the two Blackgate FK series 16V capacitors will depend on what other people have successfully used in their Havana dac, so please let me know what you have used.

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,840 of 2,680

Quote:
. Blackgate never made a 100uf F series capacitor with a 25V rating; it was rated for 35V. Unfortunately, I have no source for F series Blackgate capacitors.  

BG made 100uF 25V "F",

I put there BG 100uF 25V "F" and BG 47uF "FK" 16V. In the case of 16V ratings you have to measure the voltage while the DAC is running.
It is always better to use higher voltage rating caps.
I tried also Elna SilmicII, but the result was not so good as in the BG case but satisfactory as I remember.

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,842 of 2,680
Wondering if anyone has had problem connecting the latest 2011 macmini to Havana DAC using toslink? It works with USB but with toslink i get data error. It connects to the CD player toslink out with the same cable without any issue. 

Any tips to fix?

Problem fixed. Bad toslink to 3.5mm plug

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,843 of 2,680
I suggest to test this player if you don't know it : Jplay http://jplay.eu/

I don't know how you play your tracks but I use Foobar on my PC and tested Jplay this morning, this player is really good. In fact it tries to reduce the jitter occured by computers and acts like spdif transports (legato, audiophileo, m2tech evo...) by putting the tracks directly in RAM. Results are great !

You just have to install Jplay on your computer, copy foo_jplay.dll into foobar\components directory, restart the computer and it's done. It will work automaticaly when playing music with foobar (lossless only, it doesn't work with mp3).

It costs 99e but the free trial version enables to test it easily. As you know Havana is very sentitive to transport and the sound is much better with Jplay on my computer (works better with windows 7 and a minimum of ram - I have 8Go) : more natural, more resolution, atmosphere, spatiality, presence, realistic timbres... I suggest you to test it if you can ! It works also on Jriver and Itunes.

By the way i'd be interested to know if there's also an improvement if an spdif transport is already connected to the Havana !

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #1,844 of 2,680
Listening to what I hear on my hifi system for this morning I really don't understand why Mhdt labs put so low quality components in their dac, they could sell them much better ! Do they know they can reach high end levels with them ? That's mad....
basshead.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,845 of 2,680
Hi guys,
Just bought for my Havana new DAC chips - see photo below:

To be honest - no sonical difference between new chip and the original one (Korean J-grade).
My question is: REAL OR FAKE? I'm asking you, because some friends told me that the chip from my photo was never produced by Burr Brown.
So, in their opinion, what we got here, is fake from Malaysian factory with new description on the body.

By the way: have a nice Havana Easter! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back