MHDT Havana DAC
Apr 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,847 of 2,680
Anyone else?

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #1,848 of 2,680

Quote:
 I really don't understand why Mhdt labs put so low quality components in their dac

Isn't it obvious? Because low quality components sound bloody hell good!

wink.gif

BTW:

I've had the opp to listen to a Stockholm DAC with a Bendix 6385 recently (which I am considering purchasing) and I have to say, having  not heard the 6385 in a Havana or Stockholm (the new Havana "upgrade" DAC from MHDT) that it really is, sonically, the best all around tube I've heard ... just slightly eclipsing my typical JW 396A tube... 

The 6385 has a clarity and air about it that makes the whole presentation just sound "finer" all the way around... ...really enjoying it.

I'm slowly hacking away at a review of the Stockholm DAC but said writing is progressing in line with the amount of time I get to listen to the new DAC (which hasn't been a whole lot over the past few months as I've been strapped with personal obligations) ... but as I get the time to finish the review and publish it here at Head-fi, I'll post a link. I like the stock flavor/performance of the DAC a tad better than the Havana, mostly in regards to high frequency treatment; sounds a bit more refined and detailed. And, also...some of the brief but serious listening I've done has involved high res files (192/24) etc. and here, for whatever reason, it *definitely* performs better than the Havana. The USB implementation (asynchronous) sounds much much better as well ...

More later ...

.j

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #1,850 of 2,680
dude. triple post. feck! I kept getting all these "system error" messages from the forum but apparently it was posting like crazy. Mods? Can you delete these, please?

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,853 of 2,680

Quote:

wink.gif

BTW:
I've had the opp to listen to a Stockholm DAC with a Bendix 6385 recently (which I am considering purchasing) and I have to say, having  not heard the 6385 in a Havana or Stockholm (the new Havana "upgrade" DAC from MHDT) that it really is, sonically, the best all around tube I've heard ... just slightly eclipsing my typical JW 396A tube... 
The 6385 has a clarity and air about it that makes the whole presentation just sound "finer" all the way around... ...really enjoying it.
I'm slowly hacking away at a review of the Stockholm DAC but said writing is progressing in line with the amount of time I get to listen to the new DAC (which hasn't been a whole lot over the past few months as I've been strapped with personal obligations) ... but as I get the time to finish the review and publish it here at Head-fi, I'll post a link. I like the stock flavor/performance of the DAC a tad better than the Havana, mostly in regards to high frequency treatment; sounds a bit more refined and detailed. And, also...some of the brief but serious listening I've done has involved high res files (192/24) etc. and here, for whatever reason, it *definitely* performs better than the Havana. The USB implementation (asynchronous) sounds much much better as well ...
More later ...

.j

It's very true, Bendix 6385 has clarity and air,.. and refinement!
smile.gif
The limited edition of Stax (SR-404LE) sounds good amplified with eXStatA (the SS version) after about half an hour/an hour from start of audition, and... sounds lovely after relaxation of headphone membrane. Absolutely gorgeous! The synergy between SR-404LE and eXStatA is indisputable; but here contribute greatly Bendix 6385.
The usb implementation (asynchronous) is very good. For example, with Apple iMac (Macintosch audio players) and AR-T Legato, Havana feels great: very consistent, coherent and.. credible sound playback! these solutions can do in most lines, the difference!

Quote:
 It's obvious to me, I entirely agree with that. Low quality compomnents sound pretty damn good.
Havana is a great DAC !

Havana is a great DAC, indeed.
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,854 of 2,680
OK, OK, Havana sounds great, but what with the chip on my picture? REAL OR FAKE?

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,855 of 2,680

@ Ildottore : sorry I really don't know

@ Ildottore : sorry I really don't know
Quote:
I like the stock flavor/performance of the DAC a tad better than the Havana, mostly in regards to high frequency treatment; sounds a bit more refined and detailed. And, also...some of the brief but serious listening I've done has involved high res files (192/24) etc. and here, for whatever reason, it *definitely* performs better than the Havana. The USB implementation (asynchronous) sounds much much better as well ...

Reassure me you speak about stock havana ? Or do you mean Stockholm Dac is better than modified Havana ?...

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #1,856 of 2,680

Quote:
The usb implementation (asynchronous) is very good. For example, with Apple iMac (Macintosch audio players) and AR-T Legato, Havana feels great: very consistent, coherent and.. credible sound playback! these solutions can do in most lines, the difference!

Havana is a great DAC, indeed.
smile.gif

The Havana, to the best of my knowledge is "synchronous" USB only ... the Stockholm can be configured to be either "synchronous" or "asynchronous" ... 

And yes, at least on my particular computer system, I find the Stockholm's asynchronous USB to sound much better than the Havana's synchronous USB. In fact, prior to getting to hear the Stockholm, I never used the Havana much with USB (other than for testing) as I simply enjoyed the coaxial and optical options much more.

With the Stockholm, however...I am primarily listening through it's "asynchronous" USB as I find it to sound just as good as the optical and coaxial...especially with the higher bit rate files.

That said...

I will be honest and confess that my knowledge of asynchronous vs synchronous is very limited; but, for what it's worth, an "asynchronous" implementation has a jitter control/management circuit built in to the DAC itself whereas a "synchronous" (the typical) USB implementation depends on the host computer to manage the jitter control.  

I haven't had a chance to listen via the Stockholm's BNC connector as I have no BNC output devices so I can't comment on that

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,857 of 2,680

Quote:
Reassure me you speak about stock havana ? Or do you mean Stockholm Dac is better than modified Havana ?...

I haven't had a chance to listen to a modified Havana (or modified Stockholm for that matter) ... but I'm certain the differences are quite palpable (yes, I definitely think component quality makes a difference sonically)...

But yes, just regarding the *stock* Havana vs the *stock* Stockholm DAC ... I feel the Stockholm is a very slight improvement (mostly in detail and high freq rendering) over the Havana when listening to standard resolution files. I mean it is nit picking to say one is better than the other but the Stockholm does show a bit more refinement.

With high resolution files, however...I find the Stockholm to be quite dramatically better sounding than the Havana. Much better detail and resolution (again, especially when considering high frequencies...where so much of the "detail" seems to reside). I'm guessing this has to do with the slightly different topology of the digital receiver between the two DACs since this is the only primary difference...while both DACs still send the final analogue out through the PCM56(*) DAC chips. 

But in the end, when listening to both of the unmodified DACS (Havana and Stockholm)...it is very easy to hear that the both are built around the same basic DAC architecture as they sound very very much alike (with the Stockholm showing more refinement here and there and especially with higher bit rate/resolution files).

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,858 of 2,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako44
I really don't understand why Mhdt labs put so low quality components in their dac

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

Sure!
cool.gif

[size=10pt]I would rewrite that as: [/size]

[size=10pt]Unreasonably expensive components are not necessarily better than components of reasonable price.[/size]

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,859 of 2,680

Quote:
Sure!
cool.gif

[size=10pt]Unreasonably expensive components are not necessarily better than components of reasonable price.[/size]

Well, certainly an *discussion* is worthwhile around such a topic and I don't think it's a bad thing to discuss (even though I'm personally very happy with the stock performance of the Havana and Stockholm DACs.

I for one think that more expensive components can and do indeed make for positive sonic gains in audio equipment. Different materials, different construction processes, etc. can all impact the final audio quality and delivery (easy case in point is the sonic differences among various tubes but I think the same principles apply to caps, resistors, etc.). I also think that the age old situation of diminishing returns is a very real factor and one's willingness to invest either the money or skills/labor to achieve them are going to be a very personal decision.

I personally think the stock Havana is EASILY worth it's humble asking price. Hell, I already *know* I find it generally more pleasing and satisfying than other DACs costing quite a bit more. Just look around the web. The vast majority of reviewers/users out there are most likely not wrong in this case and folks with INSANELY expensive speaker rigs and otherwise have been quite appreciative of the DACs sonic qualities (also lots of discussion on Audiogon if you search around).

For what it's worth, even MHDT Labs cheaper DACs like the Constantine and Paradisea are also very much lauded by their  many users. In fact, it's quite difficult to find too much negative commentary on any of their DACs, *anywhere* online or elsewhere...a salient point that just can't be ignored when considering the hyper critical mind of your average hi-fi users. LOL ... :wink:.

On the flip side, however... I don't doubt for a second that the Havana could be made to perform much better with the addition of new components. I'm just not ready to embark on that journey yet as I'm very much satisfied with the way things sound for now. 
It sounds like a lot of fun, though and should I remain a user of MHDT Labs DACs, I'll most likely and at some point end up doing some sort of modifications (mostly because I like pushing gear to the max and have long been in to the computer modification scene); but again, that will be in the future if  it should happen at all.

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #1,860 of 2,680
Quote:
Sure!
cool.gif

Well my modified havana is 3 times better than the stock one (dramatically more open, refined and natural sounding) so that's why I don't understand Mhdt labs only provide a low range components dac as they could also provide a high range dac with better components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back