MHDT Havana DAC
Jan 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #1,666 of 2,680
Any of you modders in the states? I want to get some minimal upgrade components (output caps and whatever few other components some of the more experienced might suggest) and then pay somebody to do the solder work (I'm strapped with work at the moment and have no time to put towards solder practice). I know a guy at Hot Rod audio who has offered to mod my DAC but I'd rather a current Havana owner do it. PM me if your interested...

.joel.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #1,667 of 2,680
Joel,

I would suggest you to borrow the upgraded DAC from someone if it is possible. I think shipping within US is not any problem.
You would be able to compare the DACs and think over the costs hearing the final result.
Full upgade is very expensive about $1000 - $1200 - components only (max quality - worth it),
Are you willing to cover the cost? I suppose you're not without the audition..
Advice: borrow, test, decide.

Cheers,

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #1,668 of 2,680

Quote:
Also I might be going back to the VCaps for my output caps, the Jupiter caps everywhere seem to be too much of a good thing...a little too mellow for my tastes. I'm going to let is burn in for awhile longer and see what happens.

To which V-Cap you refer (CuTF, TFTF or OIMP)? I don't remember what you had before in the output section.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,670 of 2,680
That's what I plan to get personnaly except for the Jupiter Cap (I want somenthing more neutral) and vcap outputs (I plan to put Mundorf Silver/gold & oil ones like for 0.22 uf cap).

I don't want to make something too colored but neutral/realistic with tube advantages : liquidity, body... 

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #1,671 of 2,680
After many delays due to travel and work, I finally finished the R-Core transformer upgrade. A lot of work, but worth it.  I think Fathead described the benefits quite well: stunning punchy dynamics and lower distortion/better clarity across the board. 

I have the tube related resistors in hand and should have the Schottky diodes in a few days. Can one you guys show me the diode locations and any tips would be helpful. I'm very grateful to all for these great mods. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,672 of 2,680
Got it, thanks very much. I'll let you know how it goes in a few days. BTW, your summary of mods/benefits is right on. I went Mundorf for output caps, and I think you have changed out more yellow caps than me, but I'm close behind you guys. 

Quote:
The diodes go in this configuration...the ones behind the caps all face towards the rear.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,673 of 2,680

Quote:
Here is my complete upgrade summary:

• -Upgraded PCM56P chips gave me more of the classic NOS Dac sound and increased extension
  • -The R-Core gave me more impact and clarity across the spectrum [removing cap c5 and c25 is a must]
  • -Jupiter Cap gave me an incredible lush textured sound but still clear presentation throughout
  • -ELNA power supply Caps and throughout did wonders for the sound stage depth/width
  • -VCaps gave me much more clarity throughout the spectrum [but sounded less tubey]
  • -Russian Silver Mica Caps smoothed out the top
  • -Shinkoh Tantalum resistors transformed the Dac into a different beast, now I can hear the harmonics of the tube. The music swings as it should, shimmer and sheen without glare. Shinkohs seem to remove the electronics from the music.
  • -Schottky Diodes enhanced the character of the Shinkoh resistors a must have to get the full potential of Shinkoh
  • -Auricaps improved texture throughout the frequency range
  • -Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuse provided more energy and impact

Could you try a summary in order of importance? Even if it were subjective...I'm interested strictly in terms of audio impact. Thank's!
smile.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,675 of 2,680
What PS caps did you use and what values/voltage are needed?

Quote:
In order of priority...1=highest priority

Shinkoh-1
Schottky-1
Output Caps-1
PS Caps-2
R-Core-2
Fuse-2
Silver Mica-3
Chips-3
Auricaps-3
Elna throughout-3

Note:
Pay attention to outer foil and inner foil of output caps...although not directional per'se it does make a difference.  I had my Jupiter output caps in backwards hence the dullish sound compared to VCaps, I emailed Jupiter and got some information then switched them around. Inner foil goes to input.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,677 of 2,680
I wish you guys made a video or series of photos of your hands and tools actually doing your escapades, as I'd like to become a DIY-er with this Havana as my first go.  I have the V-caps and tubes and tube dampener only, as my DAC came that way on Audiogon.  Ready to take it all on, get the parts all sent to me to do all at once.

Can you recommend what soldering irons, solder, pliers, tools, tweezers, hemostats, mats or grounding cloths, goggles!, and other assorted accoutrements someone with absolutely no tools or anything to his name needs to get this done, and start on this path?  (I'm sure this is good for a giggle.)

It's either that or I'm going to have to beg one of you to do my Havana for me, et al the lists above.

Cheers, Z

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,679 of 2,680
Are these the correct Schottky Diodes.
http://au.element14.com/infineon/idv02s60c/diode-schottky-600v-2a-to220fp/dp/1844978

element14 is good for us in Australia as it is free freight.

Reverse Recovery Time trr Max: 10ns
Is there 8 of them to change?
Also fathead you have something wedged between the back ones in pic below. What is that stuff?
http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/7e/7e912f47_P1110460.jpeg

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #1,680 of 2,680
Can you PM me a source for the Silmic caps, I'd like to not miss out, from what I've read they're sweet.  I hear there are way too many fakes.  Thanks for all!!!  Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back