MHDT Havana DAC
Jan 20, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #796 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am loving the Havana more with the V-Cap upgrades. Some may say it is placebo but it indeeds enhance my listening experience. I am satisfied with the money spent.

I think all I said was that without a stock unit to compare it to, you don't have a basis for comparison, and all you're left with is the fading memory of what you think you remember it used to sound like...

This, of course, has nothing to do with the enjoyment of modding a DAC yourself or the enjoyment of listening to music with it.

USG

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #798 of 2,680
My Havana is now fitted with JW WE396, Hifi Tuning Fuse and V-Cap OIMP output capacitors. I came across somewhere the input capacitor are replaced with V-Cap .01uf TFTF
Reference grade audio capacitors and wonder what improvements to be expected...

This is now on my wishlist.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #799 of 2,680
The stock input caps are rated for 1000V. The V-caps are only rated for 600V. Not a good idea.

I've also been thinking about changing those caps, being so impressed with the output cap upgrade. There's also a single cap (.22uf/600V) right behind the two input ones. I don't know what it does but it seems significant given its position and singularity. I'm looking at Jensen copper foils ($25. list each) for the two, and another Jupiter HT ($36. list) for the single. They are the same sizes as the stock caps.

It seems like the move.

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #800 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by classfolkphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock input caps are rated for 1000V. The V-caps are only rated for 600V. Not a good idea.

I've also been thinking about changing those caps, being so impressed with the output cap upgrade. There's also a single cap (.22uf/600V) right behind the two input ones. I don't know what it does but it seems significant given its position and singularity. I'm looking at Jensen copper foils ($25. list each) for the two, and another Jupiter HT ($36. list) for the single. They are the same sizes as the stock caps.

It seems like the move.

It is interesting. Awaiting your tryout and will follow if the outcome is positive. Keep us posted.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #801 of 2,680
In the near future I’m thinking of doing a serious DAC upgrade and the Havana DAC is probably something for me. I was looking at Stello DA100 as well but a review made me think twice
wink.gif
Anyway, I have Grado RS1 and from what I’ve read I’m sure the DAC will sound awesome with them, but do you think it well sound as good through my speakers (B&W CM1)? I’m using my computer as a source (I know, not the best source, but it’s less hassel to have your music collection digitalized).

Speaker set-up:

ESI Juli@ (Analog output) --> ARAGON Ground Loop Isolator --> QED Performance Audio 1 cable (Analog) --> Herman Kardon HK980 -–> B&W CM1 and a Velodyne MiniVee SPL-800i subwoofer

Headphone set-up:

Belkin PureAV USB --> Keces DA-151 --> QED Qunex 4S cable (Analog) --> Little-Dot MKIII --> Grado RS1

So, I’m thinking of this set-up:

M2Tech hiFace ---> Coax (or BNC if it’s possible to have that installed on the Havana DAC. A BNC/RCA adapter is another option and most likely cheaper ^.^) --> Mdt Labs Havana --> QED Qunex 4S cable (Analog) --> Little-Dot MKIII (I will upgrade to Mapletree Ear+ HD Super Headphone Amplifier later down the road) for headphone usage and just switch analog cables when I decide to use my speakers.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #802 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the near future I’m thinking of doing a serious DAC upgrade and the Havana DAC is probably something for me. I was looking at Stello DA100 as well but a review made me think twice
wink.gif
Anyway, I have Grado RS1 and from what I’ve read I’m sure the DAC will sound awesome with them, but do you think it well sound as good through my speakers (B&W CM1)? I’m using my computer as a source (I know, not the best source, but it’s comfortable to have everything digital).

Speaker set-up:
ESI Juli@ (Analog output) --> ARAGON Ground Loop Isolator --> QED Performance Audio 1 cable --> Herman Kardon HK980 -–> 2x B&W CM1 and a Velodyne MiniVee SPL-800i subwoofer

Headphone set-up:
Belkin PureAV USB --> Keces DA-151 --> QED Qunex 4S cable --> Little-Dot MKIII

So, I’m thinking of this set-up:
M2Tech hiFace ---> Coax cable (or BNC if it’s possible to have that installed on the Havana DAC, a BNC/RCA adapter is another option) --> Mdt Labs Havana --> QED Qunex 4S cable (Analog) --> Little-Dot MKIII (I will upgrade Mapletree Ear+ HD Super Headphone Amplifier later down the road) for headphone usage and just switch analog cables to QED Performance Audio 1 cable which connected to my stereo amplifier etc when I decide to use my speakers.

The Havana and RS1's are a match made in heaven.

Also, it should be phenomenal with your speakers as well. In fact, just about all the major online Havana reviews (Positive Feedback, etc.) have been done with speaker rigs.

Go for it.

jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #803 of 2,680
Of course only someone with your identical equipment can offer an accurate assessment, and only you can really decide that question.

However, FWIW, I primarily use my Havana with speakers. It sounds wonderful and bests many much more expensive digital rigs I've had. I should state that I've finally realized that I dislike up-sampling DACs (which is what I've owned over the last several years, up until recently). I now own the NOS Havana and an oversampling DAC (with selectable/defeatable up-sampling).

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #804 of 2,680
Okey, I didn’t know that : o Thanks for the link, just what I’ve been looking for! It will however probably make me crave the DAC to an unbearable level haha! : )

Yeah, obviously. But I’m not looking for a super accurate answer, just some opinions and thoughts, which I got : ) For some dumb reason I saw Havana as a headphone DAC, a DAC is a DAC haha…^^

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #805 of 2,680
Believe it or not..., merely 250 hours with the V-Cap OIMP caps seated in the Havana, I am hearing more details, bigger soundstage and much lower bass than the stock caps. No regrets with this caps upgrade.

classfolkphile, have you replace the input caps? Awaiting your feedback before me moving into the next mod...

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #806 of 2,680
I believe it!
BTW, your country is lovely. Right now I'm on Cenang beach, Langkawi, fantastic place place to spent a winter month. Before, I was among other places in the Taman Negara, impressive!
I hate to have to go back home next week, only thing I'm really looking forward too is enjoying the dark chocolate sound of the Havana.

@Weez: I use the Havana in a speakerbased system, it is perfectly suited for that. Some Dacs add volume or headphone out or crossfeed, and those are more headphone-oriented, but the Havana is a DAC only, no added features,

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #808 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe it or not..., merely 250 hours with the V-Cap OIMP caps seated in the Havana, I am hearing more details, bigger soundstage and much lower bass than the stock caps. No regrets with this caps upgrade.

classfolkphile, have you replace the input caps? Awaiting your feedback before me moving into the next mod...

Hi OutdoorXplorer

I don't mean any disrespect but it seems that you're basing your impressions an auditory memory of something you experienced weeks ago. I don't see any way you might verify that these improvements really exist, like you can with tube rolling.

And, don't you find it curious that the improvements you mentioned, details, sound stage and bass, are the exact same improvements that every other tweak or upgrade claims to provide?

Could it be that you thought 'V-Caps' would give you these types of improvements and that's why you installed them?

No criticism, just not very scientific, or factual. <shrugs shoulders>

USG

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #809 of 2,680
@ upstateguy:Why is it that you do have to question what ODE writes that gives you so much reason for scepsis while these forums are filled with hundred thousands of posts claiming to hear differences between all kinds of components/over time (often by memory, almost never with any scientific backup)?

You discourage people to give their observations, which I for one like to read.

We know your opion now, and if it wasn't for you and my scientific MD I would still be in the darkness.
But I'm not, and I'm adult enough to judge the value of what I read myself and so I think are the other Havana afficionado's here, so please stop pointing out the obvious 'no scientific proof'.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #810 of 2,680
Dura, I have one of these DACs and I find it sounds "fine", nothing amazing yet nothing bad. As I've already stated in this thread,when I A/B testd it, it sounded identical to a £1000 Primare CD21 CD player. (which is no big deal as my Xbox 360 once level matched, also sounded identical too)

This thread is 54 pages long of people swapping this and that out of the DACs internals and every single mod improves warmth/width/bass/seperation.

I have a pretty revealing system (£12k+ of Classé Audio/Modwright/Dali amp/speakers and room treatment) and I can't hear these improvements on the simple mods I've done. I'm not even sure I can hear a difference when I swap the valve with a different type. No matter what I do it still sounds the same as the CD21.

What I'm trying to say here without being rude is that if you start on a fully modded DAC, with all the posh valves/caps/phono plugs etc, all connected and then started to reverse mod it back to stock. Each mod is taking away the sounds warm/stereo image width/detail etc ..So by the time you got back to the original unit it would be have to sound like a mono device capable of playing the same frequency range as the average land line telephone.

Some mods may work slightly, though I really doubt they are anything worth posting about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back