MHDT Havana DAC
Oct 15, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #601 of 2,680
Thanks for the interesting pointers guys!

With regards to heat, I'm not actually worried about the tubes themselves (well, a little but it's clearly just paranoia. I like to baby my equipment
tongue.gif
)! Actually, I'm more concerned about the heat that the tubes radiate to the rest of the circuit components. It may sound counter-intuitive but the fact that the tubes get only slightly warm could mean three things:
a) That they produce very little heat in the first place or
b) That they produce moderate amounts of heat but can radiate that heat away very well (into the rest of the circuits, therefore keeping the tube only slightly warm or
c) Halfway between a & b.

Before I end up sounding more and more nutty; Let me just remind you: I'm paranoid so I already have an excuse!
ph34r.gif
Whether it's a, b or c, I'd rather be 'extremely safe' and find a tube extension socket!

Now here's the hard part: I think the extension sockets are likely to introduce unwanted microphonics and extra resistance. So... All said and done; the good and the bad cancel out and I'll just leave the Havana in stock form! After reading all that crap, I hope you're not feeling like this:
mad.gif
*Why didn't that bum just work that out on his own instead of wasting my and our brain space?*

However, I came across this earlier in the thread. What do you think?

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #602 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flea_bag,
If you can wait a little while... maybe a week or two. I will receive the modded havana with some WE, stock tubes, and LM ericssons. I think my cousin will be selling it for $750 shipped even coming with the expensive tubes and mods!!! A badass value if you ask me
biggrin.gif

Badass indeed!
frown.gif
Unfortunately, I gave the guy at MHDT my word that I'll buy it from him. I'm just waiting for the invoice to make payment actually. If your cousin is willing to split the tubes, I'd gladly buy them! PM me with a price if he's willing!

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #603 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Bag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Badass indeed!
frown.gif
Unfortunately, I gave the guy at MHDT my word that I'll buy it from him. I'm just waiting for the invoice to make payment actually. If your cousin is willing to split the tubes, I'd gladly buy them! PM me with a price if he's willing!

Guys from Mhdt send invoice on your paypal account, just login and check there)

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #605 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Bag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a) That they produce very little heat in the first place.

This is what I tried to get across.

I would be more worried about your other components heating up the havana.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #606 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I tried to get across.

I would be more worried about your other components heating up the havana.

I know that's what you and DarKu were trying to get at!
wink.gif
I just wanted to point out that touch alone isn't always a good indicator of the energy that a surface puts out. If the tube were painted opaque black and still be only slightly warm after a few hours then indeed cooling won't be an issue throught the rest of the Havana's circuits. Guess you're right though. Don't think the Havana consumes that many watts on the whole.

As for my crowded shelf, there are quite a number of components I employ!

1. Logitech Squeezebox Classic
2. Behringer DEQ2496
3. Musical Fidelity X-10v3 Tube Buffer
4. Accuphase E-206 Integrated Amp.
5. Meier Audio Corda Prehead MkII Amp.

In the next few days, these two fellows will be squeezing into my shelves so I'm trying my best to watch the cooling:

6. Apogee Big Ben Master Clock
7. MHDT Havana!!!

Speaking of which, I probably need to update my equipment profile.
ksc75smile.gif
Just sent the Paypal payment! Oh yeah!

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #607 of 2,680
anyone has fed Havana into Stax system? how do you like it?

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #609 of 2,680
Quote:

My stax 2050 liked my pioneer cd player more than the havana. The Havana is a little soft sounding like the stax IMO

ouch! not so good to hear. how soft are we talking about here? is it noticeably soft? when we say soft, you mean less detailed and excessive smoothing sound or perhaps tuby??

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #610 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ouch! not so good to hear. how soft are we talking about here? is it noticeably soft? when we say soft, you mean less detailed and excessive smoothing sound or perhaps tuby??

The havana is not 'soft' sounding if you pair it with 'unsoft' headphones. Trust me on that.

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #611 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The havana is not 'soft' sounding if you pair it with 'unsoft' headphones. Trust me on that.

Or roll some tubes. It's quite adaptable. And I concur ... not "soft" sounding at all ... pretty damn articulate actually once mated with the proper tube (Bendix 6385 or JW 396A) ...

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #612 of 2,680
great to hear!

I love this dac evertime I flick the switch on

Oct 18, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #613 of 2,680
Quote:

Flea_bag,
If you can wait a little while... maybe a week or two. I will receive the modded havana with some WE, stock tubes, and LM ericssons. I think my cousin will be selling it for $750 shipped even coming with the expensive tubes and mods!!! A badass value if you ask me
biggrin.gif

Hi Donunus,

what about yours cousins Havana?

Where your cousin lives?

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #614 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone has fed Havana into Stax system? how do you like it?

I am feeding an almost new Stax srs-005a in ear system. First I thought it sounded grain, and then, I realized it was soft. I found myself turned up volume to gain more details and impact. I usually listen to very very low volume, so it may be just me. I think I need to wait another 100 hours for my little 005a to finally have its kicks. My experience is possibly no help to you, yours are full size and mine is in-ear, do they have similar sound? Anyway, I'll let you know in a few days.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #615 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Mantas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Donunus,

what about yours cousins Havana?

Where your cousin lives?

I'm still waiting for him to send the Havana to me. he might still be deciding on the price or whether he should sell them or not
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back