MHDT Havana DAC
Sep 12, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #511 of 2,680
I got a havana about a month ago , I played it via the spdif from my Primare CD21 and didn't hear any difference at all... Definately no burn in as a month on it still sounds exactly the same.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #512 of 2,680
What equipment do you use it with?

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #513 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahaha $350 is a business. I'm not spending more than $10 to mod mine. Were talking cheap and effective here. I dont have pics because my cousin is out of town. I'll definitely take those pics when he arrives to mod mine.

Hey, didn't you pick up a Valab too? It would be nice if you could do some comparison between that and the Havana
smily_headphones1.gif
Meanwhile, I will be burning in my Valab and wait for the parts to get my HD650 compared so I can compare it to my Monica USB.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #514 of 2,680
My Havana is gone. Now I have a Valab and an emu0404 coming. But Comparison from memory when using the stock tube on the Havana vs the Valab... I prefer the Valab in tonality because it is less soft sounding but the Havana is more grainless. With the ericsson 2c51, the Havana Rocks!

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #515 of 2,680
Hi all!
I'm a new owner of Havana DAC)
Now I want to try replace the tube. How I can do it correctly? I just try to pull up, but the tube sit strongly.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #516 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Vetal_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all!
Now I want to try replace the tube. How I can do it correctly? I just try to pull up, but the tube sit strongly.

Hi,
Just pull it up. Try not to squeeze the tube too strong. Sometimes moving it sideways a little helps.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #517 of 2,680
Quote:

My Havana is gone. Now I have a Valab and an emu0404 coming. But Comparison from memory when using the stock tube on the Havana vs the Valab... I prefer the Valab in tonality because it is less soft sounding but the Havana is more grainless. With the ericsson 2c51, the Havana Rocks!

Who is the lucky member who owns your Havana now..?

Quote:

Hi all!

Gently move the tube left and right and pull it out while holding on to the base with the other hand....

May I know what tube are you replacing now? I am considering a JW WE396A pending the disposal of the great Bendix 2C51.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #519 of 2,680
AdamWysokinski
OutdoorXplorer
Thank's, I did it!)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer
May I know what tube are you replacing now? I am considering a JW WE396A pending the disposal of the great Bendix 2C51.

I bought Havana slightly used, and it came to me with installed WE396A. Now I know the sign of WE396A and want to compare it with Bendix 6385.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #520 of 2,680
Quote:

M3NTAL is the new owner

M3NTAL have not report in... Congrats in advance for securing a awesome DAC.

Quote:

AdamWysokinski
OutdoorXplorer
Thank's, I did it!)

I bought Havana slightly used, and it came to me with installed WE396A. Now I know the sign of WE396A and want to compare it with Bendix 6385.

I read that WE396A and JW WE396A have different sound signature. I have sold the WE396A earlier... Can't wait to get my hands on the JW series..

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #521 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What equipment do you use it with?

Primare I30 amp , Dali Helicon 400 speakers , QED Revelation/Silver Spiral cables , all in an acoustically treated room (10x Gik panels)

Definately no change in sound over time.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #522 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Primare I30 amp , Dali Helicon 400 speakers , QED Revelation/Silver Spiral cables , all in an acoustically treated room (10x Gik panels)

Definately no change in sound over time.

Well, considering the price of Primare CD, not hearing any differences is quite a good result for Havana
k701smile.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #524 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marc can you tell us which tube is used now in your Havana? cos stock one is not so great, you will need to change it with a JW WE396A for a maxxed Havana

yeah it's the stock one , but since I can't hear a difference between two totally different types of digital sources then I have my doubts that I'll hear much difference with a change of valve.

How much are these valves by the way?

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #525 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah it's the stock one , but since I can't hear a difference between two totally different types of digital sources then I have my doubts that I'll hear much difference with a change of valve.

How much are these valves by the way?

Even through my HD650 a year ago I heard the change between the GE 5670 and the WE396A.

Doing an A-B-A was no good. Hearing the difference was easy when I listed to one for a week, and then switched out. If you have even more revealing equipment the differences should be noticeable (which I'm assuming your speaker setup is).

Your typical NOS WE396A will go for about 20$. A NOS JW WE396A can run from 20-30$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back