MHDT Havana DAC
Apr 20, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #361 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I look forward to reading your review S1rrah. I had the chance to compare the DA100 and the Havana a while ago and my conclusion was that the Havana was far superior to my tastes. In fact I would put the DA100 in the same class as the Paradisea.

Actually, overall I wasn't that impressed with the Stello: The bass was too weak in the bypass mode and the edges were too sharp in the upsampling mode; I didn't enjoy listening to either.

This is not the experience a number of us had at the last NY meet. The bass was noticeably stronger when upsampling was bypassed.

USG

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #362 of 2,680
Quote:

I look forward to reading your review S1rrah. I had the chance to compare the DA100 and the Havana a while ago and my conclusion was that the Havana was far superior to my tastes. In fact I would put the DA100 in the same class as the Paradisea.

Actually, overall I wasn't that impressed with the Stello: The bass was too weak in the bypass mode and the edges were too sharp in the upsampling mode; I didn't enjoy listening to either.

More later, of course ...

But I was personally and intitially very impressed with the DA100 ...

I could be biased, though, as I simply love the way it looks sitting on top of my HP100 amp.
wink.gif

Anyway ... I found it to be rather enjoyable during my brief listen. Even some things I liked better than the Havana ...

But musically, the Havana invariably made me forget I was comparing two DACS and very subtly invited me to just continute listening instead of reviewing. The DA100, though intriguing, did not have that same effect on me.

Again ... just preliminary ...

Gonna be fun this next week spending adequate time with both.

And for the record ... once I get around to serious review listening ... I'm going to run both DACs via coaxial out of my sound card.

Instead of running both simultaneously, I'm going to spend a full song with each, running separately and then comment on what the general experience was with each.

Direct A/B listening (via a switch, etc.) can be interesting but I find it far more effective to simply spend time with each bit of gear and for a full song's length ... and then ponder on what I was engaged by for each.

Rock on.

beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #363 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not the experience a number of us had at the last NY meet. The bass was noticeably stronger when upsampling was bypassed.

USG

Perhaps, I've gotten it mixed up. Either way, I felt like both modes had their inadequacies which made me uncomfortable listening to the DA100.

Edit: Okay, so I remember now: It was the lack of detail in bypass mode and the lack of bass and digititis in upsampling mode that got to me.

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #364 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I could be biased, though, as I simply love the way it looks sitting on top of my HP100 amp.
wink.gif

Well it wouldn't surprise me at all if the HP100 and the DA100 have some special synergy. Overall, I felt like the Havana was just funner to listen to. I think the comment you made in your review of the Paradisea describes the situation well: With the DA100, it felt like I was listening to "sound effects" and not the actual music.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #365 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

beerchug.gif

Hi s1rrah

How is the comparison going?

I have a Stello DA100 so I'm very interested in your findings.

One of my other DACs died recently and needs replacement. The Havana was one of those I was considering.

Your review is like a developing news story. Keep it coming...
beyersmile.png

Rock On........
beerchug.gif

USG

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #366 of 2,680
Quote:

Hi s1rrah

How is the comparison going?

I have a Stello DA100 so I'm very interested in your findings.

One of my other DACs died recently and needs replacement. The Havana was one of those I was considering.

Your review is like a developing news story. Keep it coming...
beyersmile.png

Rock On........
beerchug.gif

USG

I won't be able to spend any real time comparing/listening to the two until next weekend. Work week and all and besides, such things require nearly a full day.

Should have a decent write up early first part of next week.

Best.
.joel

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #367 of 2,680
Hi everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Have anyouone copared the Havana/ Paradisea3 to much more expensive DAC's such as North Star Design M192? In the future I am buying new DAC ( I can spend about 1000USD ) and MHDT products are very interesting for me ( custom sound using other tubes ).
I am gonna use it with mine Semi Vintage RS1 ( with buttons, in cardboard box ) and my GainClone ( Peter Daniel Premium kit, 300 W Traffo, Black Gates N, Neutrik connectors, Alps RK097 pot.).
Can you help?

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #368 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisio06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Have anyouone copared the Havana/ Paradisea3 to much more expensive DAC's such as North Star Design M192? In the future I am buying new DAC ( I can spend about 1000USD ) and MHDT products are very interesting for me ( custom sound using other tubes ).
I am gonna use it with mine Semi Vintage RS1 ( with buttons, in cardboard box ) and my GainClone ( Peter Daniel Premium kit, 300 W Traffo, Black Gates N, Neutrik connectors, Alps RK097 pot.).
Can you help?

Well I haven't heard the Northstar in particular but I do have a DIY Buffalo DAC which is supposed to be comparable to the Northstar. It is clear that the Buffalo DAC is more detailed, more neutral and more transparent compared to the Havana. On the other hand, the Havana has sweeter mids and is smoother. It also has this quality of being more fun to listen to.

Overall, I don't think either DAC is strictly better than the other. The Havana definitely holds it's own against the Buffalo.

On the other hand, I managed to find a vintage Sonic Frontiers DAC which completely blows the Havana away.
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #369 of 2,680
Here's a brief review of the DAC so far after having listened to it for about a week.

Here's my setup:

dac3.jpg

dac1.jpg

My first impression of the DAC was pure amazement as the sound I was hearing was such a huge improvement over my Beresford TC7510 that I was giggling like a school girl. The soundstage had improved drastically and the sound now had a level of detail I had never heard before. Everything was punchier as well, the bass, the drums, everything felt more dynamic and more lively. The vocals were especially amazing as it felt like the singer was right next to me singing in my ear. The separation was also excellent.

I did feel however that the treble/highs were a bit too harsh at first. I believe that was just a weakness that burning in would alleviate a good amount as it has now not been an issue to me. I think the DAC's sound really evolves rapidly over the first 50 hours, and according to other people's experience it keeps evolving up to ~200 hours. I'm quite excited to see how it keeps improving past this stage.

If I had to describe the sound of the Havana in a couple of words I'd say: detailed, musical yet silky smooth with excellent bass and attack. I have a limited experience with DACs but I'm quite amazed at how balanced it is. It handles all types of music very well. I've thrown all sorts of things at it from live acoustic to heavy metal and trance music and they all sound amazing. From heavy bass to instrumental acoustic song, this DAC can make all of them sing like an angel. For someone like me who listens to all sorts of music it's awesome.

For all the good things I've said about this DAC I cannot say enough about the differences the Bendix tube did to the sound. It tightened up everything and made everything even smoother and controlled. If you can get your hands on one of those tubes, you really should, it's well worth the investment and patience. It took the 9.5 sound to 10/10 for me.

And as a final note, the DAC ships extremely quickly from Taiwan. I ordered mine on a Saturday and Thursday I had it (3-4 days shipping to Canada). They also sent me an extra tube, USB and power cable to my demand.

Overall, an incredible DAC that will make me forget about upgrading for a LONG time. This is the sound I wanted out of my headphones for the last 2 yrs and I finally got it thanks to the Havana.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #370 of 2,680
Hey XXII, what is your Buffalo DAC configuration? I have just ordered the newest version of Buffalo DAC. Although the Buffalo is a DIY project, it costs me about the same as the HAVANA (~$900). It will be a big blow to me if the newest version Buffalo does not beat the Havana.
Since you are in HK, have you had any chance to try out a Audio-Gd DAC? I would like to know

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #371 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey XXII, what is your Buffalo DAC configuration? I have just ordered the newest version of Buffalo DAC. Although the Buffalo is a DIY project, it costs me about the same as the HAVANA (~$900). It will be a big blow to me if the newest version Buffalo does not beat the Havana.
Since you are in HK, have you had any chance to try out a Audio-Gd DAC? I would like to know

My buffalo dac was built by fallenangel. It's not the newly released one. I'm not sure how much better the buffalo32 will be. I haven't had a chance to try out the audiogd yet but I hope to do so at some point. I can't see it being sognificantly better than the buffalo dac though

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #372 of 2,680
I would be surprised if the sabre32 didnt beat the pants off the havana (based on spec, but I guess we all know how much that means); in all areas except perhaps musicality. i'm waiting for the next round thanks to people like YOU
mad.gif
jk LOL. had to be quick off the mark to get one this round. wouldve blow too big a hole in my wallet anyway really. so pretty happy to wait till next time; I look forward to yours and others impressions though. I would consider a havana if it werent for the fact that I love to tweak and just the case alone empty would cost a crapload to ship to oz, so dacs like the sabre32 = win win for me as I have plenty of musical sounding gear to give a little life to the SQ. great looking stuff though and the tube output stage intrigues me.

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #373 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi ttnl

Just to clairfy, you're saying the parts alone cost you $900?

Quote:

Well I haven't heard the Northstar in particular but I do have a DIY Buffalo DAC which is supposed to be comparable to the Northstar. It is clear that the Buffalo DAC is more detailed, more neutral and more transparent compared to the Havana. On the other hand, the Havana has sweeter mids and is smoother. It also has this quality of being more fun to listen to.

Overall, I don't think either DAC is strictly better than the other. The Havana definitely holds it's own against the Buffalo.

On the other hand, I managed to find a vintage Sonic Frontiers DAC which completely blows the Havana away.
tongue.gif

Hi 22

You've used the word fun before, I'm not sure what you mean, would you be able to expand on that term?

Thanks guys
bigsmile_face.gif

USG

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #374 of 2,680
Quote:

tongue.gif

You mean this one? :Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 vacuum tube DAC - eBay (item 320358956981 end time May-10-09 15:22:47 PDT)

Maybe it's better than the Havana but it's 500$ more.
smily_headphones1.gif

I heard about the Buffalo but I don't think that is the DAC for Grados ( can be to neutral to these headphones ). With Senns, Ok, but I'd like a DAC that would fit Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

PascalT- Your opinion is very interesing. I am an owner of Beresford TC7510 and I want to change it for something much, much better
smily_headphones1.gif
When I go to me dad's listening room and listen to his Cyrrus CD 8SE, it makes a difference between Beresford and that CD player. Can you tell us more about Havana/ Beresford TC7510 comparassion?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #375 of 2,680
Quote:

Hi ttnl

Just to clairfy, you're saying the parts alone cost you $900?

USG[/B]

Yeah, Buffalo DAC board + 3 PSU + 3 Transfo + Toslink Module = 570 + 60 + 20 = 650
Then the chassis cost about 100, misc costs about 50 more
Total base cost is 800 now. Then if I want USB, I need to spen another 130 + the MUX board which is about 100
Seriously, the new Buffalo DAC better live up to the expectation. At first I thought I get the better bang for the buck by going with DIY DAC, but I have to reconsider my decision now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back