MHDT Havana DAC
Apr 1, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #286 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he has custom horns with ale drivers. heres some pics
DSC_1482.jpg

Wow, I am not even sure how to respond to this!

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #288 of 2,680
Sweet Baby Vishnu!

DSC_1485.jpg

It's the Incredible Hulk Horn!

LOL.

Those things look crazy.

Poor Havana's probably cowering in abject fear on the rack.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #291 of 2,680
Not sure if somehow had posted this before.

mhdt

Anyone using the Bel Canto USB Link 24/96 or similar device with Havana?

I've done some more digging and that USB link seems to have quite a bit of good press/user comments although it's very recently been released.

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #292 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone using the Bel Canto USB Link 24/96 or similar device with Havana?

I've done some more digging and that USB link seems to have quite a bit of good press/user comments although it's very recently been released.

It would have to be VERY good to justify it's price IMO. Besides, the Havana doesn't support 24/96. You are probably better off getting a cheaper USB -> coaxial converter.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #293 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would have to be VERY good to justify it's price IMO. Besides, the Havana doesn't support 24/96. You are probably better off getting a cheaper USB -> coaxial converter.

There's a new Havana review at Positive Feedback where the reviewer spends quite a bit of time discussing the Bel Canto 24/96 thingy ...

Some very insightful comments.

Also, he spends quite a bit of time comparing the humble Havana to a $9000 dollar Cary DAC and the Havana comes out looking pretty dang decent ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mostly, his comments echo my own appreciation of the Havana: Musicality, pace, ease and natural tone ... especially when paired with Grado headphones!

Here's the review/comparison:

Audio Ramblings - the mhdt Havana DAC and the Bel Canto USB Link 24/96... with a few words on the Xavian Mediterranea loudspeakers

beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #295 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi S1rrah, if I use this DAC with a tube amp and Senn Hd600, is the sound too warm and dark? How does this DAC compare to the Paradisea DAC? Thanks.

Regarding the Havana?

I would say, no. Definitely not too warm or "dark" ... especially if you went with a Bendix 6385 or an early 50's WE396A tube. Both of which are very resolving and detailed with the 6385 Bendix tube being just a bit more "tinny" and "airy" sounding.

You've also got a huge amount of flexibility in your choice of tubes with your amp.

Same comment holds for the Paradisea, BTW.

Technically speaking and having spent far too many hours A/B testing between the Havana and Paradisea ... I have to say that the Havana, and considering your above configuration, would get the vote in my opinion if only because of it's significant advantage in regards to detail and low level sonics reproduction over the Paradisea. There is a quite noticeble veil removed once moving from the Paradisea to the Havana and this is most certainly due to the lack of an OPAMP and it's associated circuitry in the Havana.

Both are kick ass DACS though ... and both will work great with a tube amp and the Senns ...

But if you can afford it ... I think the Havana would be the most refined and rewarding listen between the two ...

Hope that helps.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #296 of 2,680
yes, it definitely helps. Thanks for your opinion. I have never owned a DAC before, so I am torn between a SS DAC and this Paradisea tube DAC. If you have experience with both of them, can you share your opinion? Thanks.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #297 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, it definitely helps. Thanks for your opinion. I have never owned a DAC before, so I am torn between a SS DAC and this Paradisea tube DAC. If you have experience with both of them, can you share your opinion? Thanks.

The only SS experience I've had with DACs was a Musiland MD10 DAC ... which I just could not stand with my Grados ... way to "brittle" and sharp sounding ... was annoying ...

Once I switched to the Paradisea DAC, it was like I had finally rediscovered the Music again and was not being wow'd by sound effects anymore.

The Paradisea and Havana DACS made me forget all about equipment and (really, sounds gay but it's true) all I could think about was the band, artist, song I was listening too. I think that's the basis for the term, "musical" when describing audio listening gear.

And in the end, this is my goal ...

A headphone rig that lends itself towards sheer musicality and appreciation of the music ... and *not* one that generates "neat sound" sonic affects or illusions.

Again ... both MHDT Labs DAC do this for me and I quite confidently recommend them both (as though the other online reviews weren't enough).

Really ... I've never seen a negative review of the MHDT products ... and that's pretty exceptional in our lofty circles, no?

Best.

And have fun on your journey.

.joel

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #298 of 2,680
Thanks s1rrah for the comparison..
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like I'll be joining the club!

Three questions

1- Will any generic power cable work for the Havana? I read it doesn't come with one but I do not have any extras around.

2- Should I use USB or use toslink from my Chaintech Av-710 (bitperfect) ? Will any USB cable work?

3- Finally, do ICs really make a big difference? I'm using some really generic RCA cables right now but I could see myself spending a few bucks on something better if it does improve the sound. My setup is lying right on top of my computer and surrounded by 2 big LCD screens, a phone, printer, etc...

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #299 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by PascalT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks s1rrah for the comparison..
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like I'll be joining the club!

Three questions

1- Will any generic power cable work for the Havana? I read it doesn't come with one but I do not have any extras around.

2- Should I use USB or use toslink from my Chaintech Av-710 (bitperfect) ? Will any USB cable work?

3- Finally, do ICs really make a big difference? I'm using some really generic RCA cables right now but I could see myself spending a few bucks on something better if it does improve the sound. My setup is lying right on top of my computer and surrounded by 2 big LCD screens, a phone, printer, etc...

I got your questions via PM ...

But otherwise?

Ahhh yes. Another falls to the MHDT Labs World Domination Team(tm).

You will be pleased.

smile_phones.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #300 of 2,680
you forgot the evil laugh...
wink.gif

I told my wife how much the DAC was and I got the "what??"
frown.gif
But it wasn't in a bad way, just in the "wow that's expensive" kind of way. She said we need to buy a new bedroom set.. and I told her that that would be boring.

So is USB better than toslink?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back