MHDT Havana DAC
Nov 18, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #2,326 of 2,680
  I would say put your money on the Pagoda first. The amount you'd spend on the Havana will still leave you with a 16 bit playback system in the end.

16-bit R-2R NOS DAC has its own sound.  Different, not worse, than 24-bit, and preferred by many.  It is why the Paradisea, Havana, and even MHDT itself were invented, as I understand it.  A 24/192 DAC can be had for much less money than the Havana, but there's a reason this DAC is popular, and can sound even better with chips pulled from CD players that are 20+ years old. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,327 of 2,680
Does any one know of someone who would install caps and replace wires in my balanced Havana , for a fee of course? As well as a new better DAC chip

Just look up a local electronics repair shop?  It is a very easy job for anyone who uses a soldering iron for a living.  If you don't have anyone in your area, Nick Gowan of True Sound in Campbell, CA, is great and you can ship to them.

http://www.tsound.com

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,328 of 2,680
But if you want to listen to 192kHz 24 bit, then you would purchase MHDT's Pagoda and still be able to listen to 16 bit 44.1 if you wanted to. Are you saying the R2R of a 16 bit DAC sounds better than a 24 bit R2R DAC?

I believe the term NOS here is used to connote "Non Over Sampling" not "New Old Stock". I don't think they are pulling DAC chips out of old CD players for their production, do you?

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,329 of 2,680
  But if you want to listen to 192kHz 24 bit, then you would purchase MHDT's Pagoda and still be able to listen to 16 bit 44.1 if you wanted to. Are you saying the R2R of a 16 bit DAC sounds better than a 24 bit R2R DAC?

I believe the term NOS here is used to connote "Non Over Sampling" not "New Old Stock". I don't think they are pulling DAC chips out of old CD players for their production, do you?

No, I'm not saying it sounds better, but I'm not saying it sounds worse, so I wouldn't necessarily "put my money" on the Pagoda.  What I'm saying is that taste comes into play and it's not just the number of bits that matter.  I also didn't know the Pagoda is R-2R, which is cool.  For me, the Havana is proven in matching my preferences and ability to upgrade extensively to become a very high quality DAC.  With the mods it is beyond great for the money, it is flat out great.

Yes, NOS means "Non Over Sampling" but what I was referring to is the Japanese PCM56P-K chips pulled from old CD players that several of us here have found to sound better than more current production Malaysian K grade chips.  Point being that older doesn't mean inferior.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #2,330 of 2,680

No, I'm not saying it sounds better, but I'm not saying it sounds worse, so I wouldn't necessarily "put my money" on the Pagoda.  What I'm saying is that taste comes into play and it's not just the number of bits that matter.  I also didn't know the Pagoda is R-2R, which is cool.  For me, the Havana is proven in matching my preferences and ability to upgrade extensively to become a very high quality DAC.  With the mods it is beyond great for the money, it is flat out great.
Yes, NOS means "Non Over Sampling" but what I was referring to is the Japanese PCM56P-K chips pulled from old CD players that several of us here have found to sound better than more current production Malaysian K grade chips.  Point being that older doesn't mean inferior.

Yep, it's about personal preference and system synergy. Havana sounded good on my electrostatic Stax system but maybe sometimes too relaxed.
I personally feel the need to revitalize the sound, which can be normal at a time. It's a different approach to implementation and another sound, somewhat complementary to "NOS" dac. Here it is not "just" about components and about its quality, ..K-grade Japanese chips are great!! they deserve taken into account when doing an upgrade.

Of some financial considerations, I kept Havana and I put off the replacement with DAC7, although I still have in mind the AR sound. Do not do this if you cannot keep more DACs in your systems!
etysmile.gif

That wide sound and beautiful stereo image or excellent bass extension even on headphones. Medium frequencies are extensive and covers the whole spectrum of sound and have that impact, that firmness and strength: very good sound-stage!
Still, I like something more Havana on treble, it render better high frequencies in the upper range. Here this converter is the king (should note that I haven't felt this before and that only Rike S-Cap capacitors gave me this change on highs in this manner. Before I felt a lack of treble and even V-Cap CuTF after they had over a thousand hours of burning were unable to do so
smile.gif
). It is now a very difficult decision to sell Havana because it has something special in terms of tonality. AR DAC7 was slightly different and it had his own refinement, I must say it sounded so natural in terms of sound texture and very relaxed too..

PS: Havana react so positively to the upgrade of operating system. Now I use OS X Mavericks 10.9 (Apple iMac with ART Legato-I) and as player Pure Music.

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #2,333 of 2,680
  Why??

It's a bargain price. WOW

Robert,
I am very undecided what to do with Havana. Yet I leave it to sale. I'm feel embarrassed asking this price considering that one stock is just slightly cheaper.. I think that someone will realize what components are inside.
ksc75smile.gif

Price is lowered, practically less than half compared to how much it cost me. At this money it is difficult to surpass Havana in terms of tonality and refinement.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2,334 of 2,680
Hi,

I'm a new Havana user and i like it very much !!!
I read the 156 pages of this post and i really want to thank all contributors.

So, i'm going to change the transformer with an R-CORE one.
could someone tell me where I can buy these connectors ? I don't find them.
May be a link ?

Thanks very much 
STEF

350x263px-LL-803cc249_536.jpeg

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #2,335 of 2,680
This one will fit perfectly : http://www.ebay.com/itm/115V-230V-30W-high-quality-Audio-R-Core-Transformer-15V-15V-9V-9V-/130708821508?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item1e6eda5604.

However this is the more difficult change on havana. Don't know if you already did it but it should be better to change output caps first for example.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #2,336 of 2,680
Thanks Mako,

I installed chips "K grade" and "Japan Made" and i have a 6385 Bendix 
I planned to change the outputs caps also.
Then I would change the transformer.
What i am looking for are the connectors.

Cheers

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #2,337 of 2,680
Does anyone have any info on the MHDT Havana 2?
It's listed on their website and it's evidently 
24bits/192kHz ​
capable but uses the same PCM56-J DAC chip....intriguing....

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/mhdt%20dac%20families.htm

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,338 of 2,680
  Does anyone have any info on the MHDT Havana 2?
It's listed on their website and it's evidently 
24bits/192kHz ​
capable but uses the same PCM56-J DAC chip....intriguing....

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/mhdt%20dac%20families.htm

That means it will accept 24 bit length data on the input (S/PDIF or USB) but it will truncate it to 16 bit for the analog output section. So the same DAC makes sense it is only a 16 bit playback device. If you are a CD listener then this is no problem and will probably sound the same as the Pagoda. If you are in to hi-res 24 bit 192kHz playback then you should purchase the Pagoda.

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #2,339 of 2,680
Ah, got it, thanks!
I'm intrigued by the Pagoda but can't find any comparative reviews vs. the Havana.
I love the sound of my Parts Connexion-modded Havana (with V-caps, etc.) and am a bit leery of moving away from that sound but would also love to have high-res capability as I'm not really enamored of the SABRE-based sound of my Oppo 95....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back