MHDT Havana DAC
Sep 26, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,336 of 2,680
Okay I finally got my V-caps today, it took about 2 minutes to install them. 

Impressions:

Stock Havana was very good and slightly on the dark side with of course nice black backgrounds with somewhat under extended vocals [not exactly airy] but still very good.

Installed the K grade chips, the clarity in the mids and air became evident, bass seemed a bit tighter and lower/fuller than my Audiogd Ref 7...possibly due to the tubes in the Havana.

Installed the V-caps and yet another major leap in every aspect.  All that was good and great before became perfection...and the caps are not even broken in yet.  Mids are just outstanding, bass is very tuneful and the highs shimmer with perfect air.  The Ref 7 has all the same attributes but seems much more stiff in comparison with not nearly as much swing as the Havana.  Two totally different sounding Dacs.

Next I am going to replace the remaining yellow caps with Cardas and replace the fuse...still looking for a suitable power supply, most likely dual R-core outboard.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #1,337 of 2,680
Hello all,

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers or cause problems BUT from the photos I have seen here of people who have replaced their caps....it looks like the caps are in backwards!

According to the V-cap instructions the flow of power should run in the same direction as the writing on the cap ie the same direction as the original caps are going..that would be towards the rca outputs.

Any thoughts?

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #1,339 of 2,680
Okay great!

Thanks for the info!!!

Mundorfs.....Hmmmmm, you know you are feeding this addiction right...thanks!

Quote:
Dynobot, I did not notice any differences between directions, I installed Vcaps and mundorfs. I like the Mundorfs much better - elegance and beauty.
I did not like vcaps, sold them.
Archive photo

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #1,340 of 2,680

Quote:
Dynobot, I did not notice any differences between directions, I installed Vcaps and mundorfs. I like the Mundorfs much better - elegance and beauty.
I did not like vcaps, sold them.

Come on, Robeeert! Not remove man pleasure...
smile.gif

V Cap OIMP may sound very elegant! I think that deserves patience with running V-Cap capacitors. Now the problem is pure subjective.

@ Dynobot, You can be quiet with V-Cap capacitors. They are good and differences from other are "shades". I don't contradict Robeeert, only try to realize that sometimes we lose in detail and forget the essential: the music and her beautiful experience. On the other hand I don't think that changing films capacitors, you get a critical change in sound. But this is my purely personal opinion and I don't want to influence you. Enjoy the new sound and breathe deeply.
dt880smile.png

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #1,341 of 2,680

Quote:
Enjoy the new sound and breathe deeply.
dt880smile.png

Yes I do enjoy the sound...lucky for me I don't let numbers or opinions stand in the way of good sound.

I too spent the time to de-solder and re-solder the V-caps and there was no difference in sound that I could hear.  I left them in their final configuration which is actually opposite of what I think should be the way they are supposed to be installed. 

Anyways next up is the other yellow caps and the power supply...

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #1,342 of 2,680
Loserica,

The Mundorfs silver/gold 2,2uF are extremely nice. They have the same details and resolution like Vcaps, but they are refined and tasty. I absolutely love their timbre and quality. Vcaps are definitely better than stock ones.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #1,343 of 2,680

Quote:
Loserica,

The Mundorfs silver/gold 2,2uF are extremely nice. They have the same details and resolution like Vcaps, but they are refined and tasty. I absolutely love their timbre and quality. Vcaps are definitely better than stock ones.

Now who would not like "tasty" caps???

I must try these tasty caps!!!!

After I try the other stuff...

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #1,345 of 2,680
Ok will have to try that too esp when I get some replacements for those power supply caps.

FYI I bypassed the fuse with a nice improvement....I always bypass fusses only because the only reason they are their is because of regulations, not because they actually blow....anyone ever replace a blown fuse?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back