MHDT Havana DAC
Sep 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #1,321 of 2,680
Also put a request in at Piltron for a Transformer.  Unfortunately that would be a no-go....

I got the transformer specs directly from Mdht.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[size=x-small]Hello Ed,[/size]
[size=x-small]We do not have a standard available that meets your specifications.[/size]
[size=x-small]Thanks[/size]
[size=x-small] [/size]
[size=x-small] [/size]
[size=x-small]Regards[/size]
XXXXXXX
[size=x-small]Plitron Manufacturing Inc[/size]
[size=x-small] [/size]
----------------------- Original Message -----------------------
Cc:
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:25:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fw: Havana Dac

Hi do you have a toroidal transformer that meets these specs?

I/P:0-115V 0-115V  50/60Hz
O/P:15V-0-15V  0.3A (-15A -- 0 0.3A, 0 -- +15V 0.3A)
    8V-0-8V  0.8A (-8V -- 0 0.8A, 0  -- +8A 0.8A)

Thank You
Ed

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,323 of 2,680
Well robeert this is kind of a moot subject as I already have the chips I want in my Havana and have moved on to finding a transformer.  Caps already on the way and should be in place by late next week.

I have 3 sets of verified chips along with some AD chips on the way for comparison.

I will post my comparison of this Dac against the Audio-gd Ref 7 and Ref 5 soon.

Cheers!!!

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #1,325 of 2,680
Havent been in this thread for a while.

Havent read about changing to the 'K' chips before. I suppose I'll have to give it a go sometime in the future!

So from reading above, is Mouser the best and most reliable place to get these things??

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #1,326 of 2,680

Quote:
Dynobot,
I have also upgraded my DAC, replaced caps, some resistors, diodes, chips, tube, I'm also interested in transformer, Let me know if you find something matching. thanks.

Will do!!

Sometimes if you buy more they will give a discount.

The Havana transformer is not a standard transformer which makes it difficult.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #1,327 of 2,680

Quote:
Good luck with the surgery, looking forward to your impressions.
When I got the Halide Bridge I also thought about the ART Legato, which should be a very very good usb to spdif converter....but it's limited to 16/44.  There's a new ART Veloce going to be released soon, and that will go up 24/96.

I test Havana with ART Legato these days. Probably I am not yet ready to characterize Legato sound becouse is somewhat early. But, I can say some things: first, needs about an hour to warm (sounds a little better after).
I did not find major (critical!) differences between Legato and modded Hiface on my setup (Havana>>eXStatA>> STAX SR404LE), but still there are some: lower frequencies have become less deeper, there is a slight improvement in space between instruments, something more airy. Audition is slightly relaxing. The resolution is also slightly deeper; stage presence, focus a little better, more refined texture from Hiface. Legato is certainly a good transport for Havana and this result directly on the sound quality. But again, not something critical...
Considering Legato' s price, I don't know is justified the jump from Hiface (this is also a subjective aspect). The modded Hiface sounds already good, but Legato is better. These small and refined differences matter! In recent years I made some changes to approach the sound of "my dreams", but now aware it is verry dificult when you have a limited budget. Without upset someone, I think that the weak link in my setup might be even the analog to digital converter. I could be wrong, but Havana is a good converter in its price category and not comparable with players or converters several times more expensive. From the standard price I upgraded components in Havana about five hundred dollars. Deserved? Definitely Yes! It's time to calm down..
beyersmile.png

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #1,328 of 2,680
Loserica,
Havana is a very difficult DAC to upgrade, it has some constructional errors(for example, try to remove C5 cap - you'll see what happens), I'm ending upgrading my Havana tomorrow,
The sound is two class higher. I really love the DAC now.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #1,330 of 2,680

Quote:
Loserica,
Havana is a very difficult DAC to upgrade, it has some constructional errors(for example, try to remove C5 cap - you'll see what happens), I'm ending upgrading my Havana tomorrow,
The sound is two class higher. I really love the DAC now.

Ok, Robeert. I am very curious the changes! I don't know what can make Havana to become a better class (except changes with connectors, capacitors, chips, resistors, tube, fuse, etc, etc...)
confused.gif

My question is: how can Havana to overcome its class, with relatively "small" changes. When I say that I spent about five hundred dollars with up-grade components, without being necessarily a targhet, I would say it was even cheaper, compared to more quality!! Fuse change is clearly a fad.
LEGATO may brings a touch of superior musicality, but it's not a touch of class. It is a sound "dressing" of course toward better, but it's not the jumping in another class..
smile.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,331 of 2,680

Quote:
 Fuse change is clearly a fad.

I agree, which is why I always bypass the fuses.  X amount of current being forced through a piece of wire as this as a hair [in some cases] is a serious bottle-neck.

Besides during standard operation how many times has anyone blown a fuse in their Havana....

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #1,334 of 2,680

Quote:
Ok, Robeert. I am very curious the changes! I don't know what can make Havana to become a better class (except changes with connectors, capacitors, chips, resistors, tube, fuse, etc, etc...)
confused.gif

My question is: how can Havana to overcome its class, with relatively "small" changes. When I say that I spent about five hundred dollars with up-grade components, without being necessarily a targhet, I would say it was even cheaper, compared to more quality!! Fuse change is clearly a fad.

Upgrading only DAC will not give you the highest quality sound, check the rest of the system, cables etc...

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #1,335 of 2,680

Quote:
Upgrading only DAC will not give you the highest quality sound, check the rest of the system, cables etc...

As I deepen in auditions and get used with sound of LEGATO, I think it is an ideal transport for Havana! Otherwise, the converter gain exactly where needed. The sound has improved the texture and resolution. Like I said, instruments have a settlement not only in length, but deep, and the effect from Hiface is substantially the level of perception the listener! A high relaxation and musicality, in other words I feel me more in "the middle" of listening, is something intimate and pleasant. With Hiface everything is like artificial light, without crittical differences, but immediately obvious. In audio you pay something for these differences, and if you look strictly in terms of quality, deserve. LEGATO is really good!
smile_phones.gif

Now, if we turn the other components (the rest of system...), can you confirm that are good. So I allowed to say that might as Havana to be the vulnerable component of my rig. But finnaly, Havana does its job and do even charming on electrostatic headphone system. Sounds lovely on classical and jazz music.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back