MHDT Havana DAC
Mar 31, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #916 of 2,680
Does anyone else occasionally grow terrified that some strange technical flaw might afflict their Havana DAC, rendering it useless? Have you then fretted over how you might have to cough up another 900 bucks to get another one?

I do. I have.

All the time.

In fact, I'm considering buying another one to just keep "on the shelf" and all ... just in case my current DAC fails.

Yes.

It's *that* good.

:wink:

(best kept secret and all)

Rock on.

.joel

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #917 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else ...

No

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #918 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else occasionally grow terrified that some strange technical flaw might afflict their Havana DAC, rendering it useless? Have you then fretted over how you might have to cough up another 900 bucks to get another one?

I do. I have.

All the time.

In fact, I'm considering buying another one to just keep "on the shelf" and all ... just in case my current DAC fails.

Yes.

It's *that* good.

:wink:

(best kept secret and all)

Rock on.

.joel

Buying an extra one is a little bit over the top for me, but I can see where your worries come from.
It is probably not being unable to buy one because of lack of money (if you can buy a spare one now, you could also put that money on the bank in case, which would be a more rational approach. But hear who's talking, I'm not so good with money myself).
But MHDT once threatened to stop producing the Havana (see the beginning of this tread) and there is, AFAIK, no other DAC that gives this sound signature with this quality below $1000,-
I cannot see myself ever enjoying that digital analytical sound of f.i. the Stello 100 Signature, no matter how excellent that machine is valuewise.
Without the Havana I would probably have to resort to the Red Wine DAC, much more expensive.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #919 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying an extra one is a little bit over the top for me, but I can see where your worries come from.
It is probably not being unable to buy one because of lack of money (if you can buy a spare one now, you could also put that money on the bank in case, which would be a more rational approach. But hear who's talking, I'm not so good with money myself).
But MHDT once threatened to stop producing the Havana (see the beginning of this tread) and there is, AFAIK, no other DAC that gives this sound signature with this quality below $1000,-
I cannot see myself ever enjoying that digital analytical sound of f.i. the Stello 100 Signature, no matter how excellent that machine is valuewise.
Without the Havana I would probably have to resort to the Red Wine DAC, much more expensive.

Totaly agree with you. In the next month i'm planing to upgrade my Havana with best parts available on the market. I want to replace all electrolytic caps with BlackGates (very rare and expesnsive, unfortunately), all film caps (thinking about Jupiter HT for output, and mundorf gold/silver/oil for input - also very expensive) and some resistors (on critical locations), plus a better fuse (furutech or hi-fi tunning) and maybe a teflon tube socket
wink.gif
, all of this will rise the price of Havana for about 50%
Will see how it turns out.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #920 of 2,680
@DarKu
Those mods must be really good. Hopefully, we'll be able to compare the stock Havana with your modded one once you'll be done
smily_headphones1.gif

Have any of you guys, who enjoy the Havana, managed to compare JJ6386 to WE396A or any other 1'st class recommende tube?

I can't wait to get the Havana and see what it's all about - I really built up some high expectations
smily_headphones1.gif

Got myself preparde with a JJ6386 and a WE396A D getter (not JW though).

The JW verison is supposed to be better sounding or just last longer?

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #921 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by himynameis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@DarKu
Those mods must be really good. Hopefully, we'll be able to compare the stock Havana with your modded one once you'll be done
smily_headphones1.gif

Have any of you guys, who enjoy the Havana, managed to compare JJ6386 to WE396A or any other 1'st class recommende tube?

I can't wait to get the Havana and see what it's all about - I really built up some high expectations
smily_headphones1.gif

Got myself preparde with a JJ6386 and a WE396A D getter (not JW though).

The JW verison is supposed to be better sounding or just last longer?

JW is military grade 396A, made between 1950-70 for US army. I believe it has better parts inside, s1rrah has both of them and compared them side by side, he will tell you more about them.
I've got my JW version from tubeworld (i seen they do not have JW's no more), but i found in Europe some, see here: WE 396A (=2C51, 6N3P) Western Electric NOS Röhre Röhren, AMP Kits und Lautsprecher - Tube Amp Doctor
Ask them if it is a JW, on picture it seems so, my tube looks exatly the same
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #922 of 2,680
Quote:

I have both tubes.
I started with the JW WE396A, sounded okay but a little bit lacklustre. Then I switched to the JJ6386 and I got more bass and a larger soundtage.
Then it turned out my filtering powercord choked the Havana and caused it to sound far less energetic then it can.
After sorting that out I was quite happy with the 6386, which gave a very smooth sound, nothing standing out.
But a month ago I realised I never had given the 396 a proper chance.
Inserted it and was rewarded with a more lively sound. Voices came more to the foreground, bass seems more nimble, treble was more sparkling.
Soundstage lost a little in width but gained in depth.
I would say the choice between the two it depends on the rest of your system and your preferences: 6368 is smooth, 396 is lively.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #923 of 2,680
Thanks for the feedback dura.
beerchug.gif

This morning I finally got the Havana - paired it with jj 6386 and it sounds fantastic. Some emphasis on bass, but good emphasis. Clear, natural, not-tiring sound. I like it alot.
The Lavry DA10 might make acquaintance with the for sale section.

I have a non-JW WE396A D-getter which I'll try in a few days.

Truly a bang for the buck piece of kit!

PS: What do you mean when you say "lacklustre"?

I also use a conditioning power cord to power the DAC: the Wireworld Electra alongside a Isotek Orion power-conditioner. I'll try the MHDT Basic Powercord as an alternative.

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #924 of 2,680
Recognisable description of the Havana sound, Himynameis, glad you love it too.

I used a 'filtering' powercord, the van den Hul Mainsserver, that worked great with my former Rega Apollo.
Somehow the music sounded too clean with the Havana, lost its energy and dynamic impact giving a detailed but sterile sound.
I tried some other powercords with a simple configurations (three wires and a shield) and finally settled on a humble Belden.
The Havana seems to be sensitive to PCs, so perhaps after burning in and familiarising yourself with the sound you can do a few little pailess experiments to see what fits your needs best.
I'm interested in your opinions about the 6386 vs the 396A, please keep us posted.

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #925 of 2,680
I started listening closely to my Monarchy M24 again, and it makes me miss the Storm D02 terribly. To anyone who's heard both, is the Havana anything like it? I know this is probably a long shot, and I don't want to stir up any crap-covered hornets, so don't go digging if you don't already know what it is.

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #926 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started listening closely to my Monarchy M24 again, and it makes me miss the Storm D02 terribly. To anyone who's heard both, is the Havana anything like it? I know this is probably a long shot, and I don't want to stir up any crap-covered hornets, so don't go digging if you don't already know what it is.

I think you might be one of the only people to have a D02, so there is almost no point in looking for comparisons.

I would just get the Havana. See if you like it. If so, great. If not, the resale value on them is quite good, so you'll be like 50-100$ out of pocket (peanuts). Do give a 20$ WE396A a try in it though!

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #928 of 2,680
@dura
I'll say what I think about 6386, WE396A, power cords & co. but I'll only do so when I'm quite sure of the differences I can hear.
And when I do, I'll have describe the differeces the best way I can because I don't have a really good grasp on how to identify and diffentiate such things as energy, dynamics, micro-details, 3d effects etc.

@Superpredator If you use the EMU 1212 to feed the M24, do give the M2tech HiFace a try. You may very well be very surprised by the improvments.
(And if you're not, you can resell it at an ~10% loss...)

@Henerenry I'm also curious how a good speaker rig sounds with this baby. Maybe someone who listens to both heaphones and speakers will give us an idea.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #929 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you might be one of the only people to have a D02, so there is almost no point in looking for comparisons.

I would just get the Havana. See if you like it. If so, great. If not, the resale value on them is quite good, so you'll be like 50-100$ out of pocket (peanuts). Do give a 20$ WE396A a try in it though!

The people who liked the D02 seemed to continue chasing NOS, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Unlikely, as you say.

I don't really want to get into the habit of owning gear of duplicate function again, and neither do I really want to let the M24 go until I have a solid replacement lined up. We'll see.

Quote:

@Superpredator If you use the EMU 1212 to feed the M24, do give the M2tech HiFace a try. You may very well be very surprised by the improvments.
(And if you're not, you can resell it at an ~10% loss...)

Will look into it, thanks. I have a feeling I'm just craving NOS again, and MHDT seems to be taking it more seriously than anyone else at this point.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #930 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to concur.

A wise bit of commentary.

Listen well.

wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back