MHDT Havana DAC
Oct 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #76 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow it has a slightly different design... nice!

Btw. I still haven't paid mine. I asked them almost 2 weeks ago about their paypal account, so I can finally finish the deal... but didn't get any answer until now... weird.

The one I got is a demo unit.

I emailed asking if they would send one for review at the Houston Head-fi meet this weekend.

Never heard back.

Just got this the DAC in the mail.

I plan on sending it back to them after the meet.

Nice folk at MHDT, for sure.

beerchug.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #77 of 2,680
Just a note for any Havana/Paradisea+ owners out there ...

The Bendix 6385 is, by far, the best tube I've heard in the Havana (and I'm sure in my Paradisea+ as well) ...

Utterly quiet, smooth and more detailed than the Bendix 2C51.

6385.jpg

Worth the 80 bucks or so that I paid for it, to be sure.

Just a tip.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #78 of 2,680
This just in from "Mouse" at MHDT in Taiwan.

I got this email from him while attending the Houston head-fi.org meet earlier today.

(I've edited out some of the expected taiwanese to english translation problems)

Hi Joel,

During the development and "trial testing" of the Havana DAC, many considerations needed to be taken into account.

To us, the source of real digital music ... the center of the DAC world, is the Havana DAC ...

So, we arrived at the name, "Havana."

Meaning that this DAC was all encompassing enough ... all inclusive enough of a DAC ... that it could perform well with any kind of music produced nowadays, ... jazz, classic, rap, rock, electric ... etc.

Some of the more important and essential aspects of the Havana DAC?:

It's more detailed and refined, all the while remaining musical and natural... the same general characteristics that are hallmarks of all of our NOS DACs.

AND ... a surprising fact ... though being a digital DAC, ... the Havana produces "REAL and NATURAL SOUND"

Find yourself an instrument player such as a pianist, violinist, drummer...etc..., and let them listen to the Havana DAC ... then, let them comment on what they hear ... and you will know what I mean.

Real instruments play real sound.

It could be smooth, sharp, loose, edged, harmonic...

Whatever the originally recorded and musical qualities were/are ... that's what you get from the Havana DAC.

The Havana uses dual PCM56P DAC chips; it is a true R2R DAC.

FYI: We will be stopping production of the Havana within the next year due to its expensive manufacturing cost (when compared to other delta-sigma DACS).

Otherwise ... and regarding your questions/comments ...

There are many secrets to the Havana DAC, however, I am to busy at the moment to discuss them (I haven't even been able to post new Ebay ads!).

If I have time later, I shall talk more of these "secrets" with you ...

Best Regards,
Jiun-Hsien
Mhdt Labs

Ah, hell.

I love this DAC (Havana)

And I love talking to the designers in Taiwan.

Their lack of English/grammatical skills not withstanding ...

I've found everything he said about the Havana (and Paradisea+) to be on point, true and accurate.

smily_headphones1.gif

To "Mouse" and gang ... thanks again for your contributions to the head-fi/hi-fi scene!!

Best.

.joel (aka "s1rrah")

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #80 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK, MHDT is in Taiwan, not China.

Thanks for the clarification.

Honest mistake.

Best.

./joel/.

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #81 of 2,680
I had no problems with my copies of Arnaud's tracks. BTW thanks for turning me on to Jack Johnson's Monsoon. I was wondering if anyone out there could comment on the tubes in their Havana DAC? I seem to like the sound better immediately after I swap tubes or when I keep my DAC off and turn it on when I listen to music. If I leave the DAC on all the time and allow the tubes to settle in at their "temperature" I don't like the sound as much. At first I thought it was a mental block, but my wife has become convinced of this as well. I switch the tube out quite a bit. I have some LM Ericsson Gold Pins, Raytheon CK5670's, Ge 5-Stars and Bendix 2c51'a that are my favorites, but the issue seems to be the same with all of them.

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #82 of 2,680
Yes, sometimes the early impression of the tube in swapping is better than after extended on. At first, I thought it is my sub-par ac mains conditions.

Do you think it is heat-related ?
As I use the Havana in open top now (because of my caps mod and also dual battery mod), it seems to suffer less from this problem.

Do you use close the case after each tube swap?

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #83 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by promethk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, sometimes the early impression of the tube in swapping is better than after extended on. At first, I thought it is my sub-par ac mains conditions.

Do you think it is heat-related ?
As I use the Havana in open top now (because of my caps mod and also dual battery mod), it seems to suffer less from this problem.

Do you use close the case after each tube swap?

Can you please post some photos of your above mentioned mods?

Also ... can you comment on the sonic differences that the mods made?

Thanks!

.joel

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #84 of 2,680
Just a quick word regarding the Havana that MHDT labs sent me for review at the Houston Head-fi.org get together ...

As some might have suspected ... I can now not tolerate having to send the Havana DAC back and so have made arrangements with MHDT to keep it.

Anyway ...

I'm posting the contents of a recent PM between myself and a fellow Head-fi user who is selling his Paradisea+ in order to get a Havana.

I thought my very brief comments regarding the relative differences between the two DACs (Paradisea+ vs. Havana) might be of interest to others, so here goes:

Quote:

Wow man.

Your gonna freak at the difference between the Paradisea+ and the Havana!

I've spent a lot of time today doing very quick switch A/B listens between the Paradisea+ and the Havana and it's unbelievable how narrow, soft, blurry and veiled the Paradisea+ sounds in direct comparison with the Havana.

That's certainly not a comment meant to diss on the Paradisea because it's certainly not that ... but rather, I mean to say that the Havana does indeed sound appropriate for it's 900.00 price tag while the also very fine sounding Paradisea+ is quite well suited to it's lesser cost of 600.00.

Both great DACs and both are an insane value ... but the Havana indeed takes it to a whole other level.

BTW: I did the test listening using the Bendix 6385 in both DACs.

What's insane is that I really didn't think a DAC could get too much better than the Paradisea ... having no benchmark or otherwise to compare it too.

But man ...

The Havana is near crystalline in clarity compared to the Paradisea+!

Soundstage is much better ... and, as is so often mentioned with the recabling of Senn HD650's ... it's like a thick woolen curtain (or, "veil") between myself and the music had been suddenly raised once I switched over to the Havana during the test listens.

I wish you could keep your Paradisea for direct A/B listening ... cause it's rather astonishing.

The differences between the Paradisea+ and Havana, though evident in all sorts of music, were nonetheless most hugely apparent when listening to quiet bits like mello solo piano work or otherwise delicately produced and communicated music ... it was like instant x2 in presence, detail and soundstage once switched to the Havana.

That difference, again, is quite noticeable in all types of music ... but for the softer, more delicate bits where levels sometimes sink down near inaudible, ... the accessibility of the instruments and music becomes all the more greater with the Havana.

Anyway ... just a word that its very much worth the wait and extra effort to land the Havana ... especially since MHDT is discontinuing it this year.

Good luck.

Best.

.joel

Happy listening!

happy_face1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #85 of 2,680
Sounds like your Paradisea+ was broken.
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #86 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like your Paradisea+ was broken.
wink.gif

Oh, it's not broken ... it sounds fantastic ... but the Havana is certainly an upgrade.

smile_phones.gif

Seems the lack of an OPAMP circuit and the inclusion of *dual* Burr Brown PCM56P DACS really does make a pretty dramatic difference.

wink.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #87 of 2,680
Got both Paradisea and Havana myself. To me the difference are not as night and day maybe because I already have full tube in downstream, but it's pretty noticeable, the fluidity and the dynamic are so nice, and with more detail.

Maybe its the bendix?! I got Raytheon for both, ordered a batch of 10 russian new issues 6N3P-EV for like $1.20 a pc from Russia. Will try it out in Dec.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #89 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please post some photos of your above mentioned mods?

Also ... can you comment on the sonic differences that the mods made?

Thanks!

.joel

PICT0044.jpg

While I was expecting a lot for the dual battery mod, especially that I don't have very good power conditions here, the immediate result is not that impressive. After one day, I added the two "golden caps" to the battery terminals, and another went by, things start to get much better.

I still don't have time to do a complete A/B comparison with the stock power yet, but I am very very impressed with my system right now I also have a bendix 5670 and two tungsols.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #90 of 2,680
Wow now that's some modification Promethk! I like to swap out the tube quite a bit so I run my Havana topless as well. Xcel built a 2 million dollar substation a 1/2 mile from my house so I'm not going to get into the AC line conditioning issue. What value output capacitors are you using? I'm thinking about picking up some 2.0µF / 200VDC Gen I Sonicaps to start with. The battery mod will have a miniscule WAF, so I'm stuck with AC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back