Quote:

Originally Posted by pdhanwada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested to know your opinion on the following tubes:
  • Tung-Sol
  • JW WE396A
  • WE396A
  • Bendix 2C51
  • Ericsson
Any other ones you know off? I am new into the tube world. Bear with me. Are used Tubes ok? Any issues there? I hope the Tubes should last at least 5 years with 10 hours per week usage.

Hi Padawan, to be fair I have to say that I don't own one of the MHDT's right now, but I can tell you what quality you can expect of some tubes.

Yes used tubes are ok if you find a reliable source, but it depends on some factors. Is the tube hard to find and expensive or not? Is it tested? What ever you do, there is a risk remaining on it, especially if you buy it from eBay.

JAN GE 5670(W), Sylvania 2C51, RCA 5670;
Are good, long lasting and cheap tubes of acceptable quality for many HiFi products.

WE 396A, Raytheon 396A;
Are very good tubes, higher quality and also higher priced.

Tung-Sol 2C51;
Is from a running production in Russia, better than the Chinese products, cheap and reliable.

Ericsson 386A (Goldpin), Sylvania 5670 (Goldpin), Bendix 6385 (red bank);
Are extremely good audiophile tubes, very expensive and rare.

The sound of that tubes depends on the circuitry of the device and also the remaining audio chain and it's interaction. The acoustic impression is mostly different by individual tastes.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #858 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my havana is on the way too...

i'll be comparing it with a paradisea+ and the peachtree nova (ess sabre dac)

Where did you order it from? Google shopping gives no results and neither does ebay. I want one bad!
L3000.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #859 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Padawan, to be fair I have to say that I don't own one of the MHDT's right now, but I can tell you what quality you can expect of some tubes.

Yes used tubes are ok if you find a reliable source, but it depends on some factors. Is the tube hard to find and expensive or not? Is it tested? What ever you do, there is a risk remaining on it, especially if you buy it from eBay.

JAN GE 5670(W), Sylvania 2C51, RCA 5670;
Are good, long lasting and cheap tubes of acceptable quality for many HiFi products.

WE 396A, Raytheon 396A;
Are very good tubes, higher quality and also higher priced.

Tung-Sol 2C51;
Is from a running production in Russia, better than the Chinese products, cheap and reliable.

Ericsson 386A (Goldpin), Sylvania 5670 (Goldpin), Bendix 6385 (red bank);
Are extremely good audiophile tubes, very expensive and rare.

The sound of that tubes depends on the circuitry of the device and also the remaining audio chain and it's interaction. The acoustic impression is mostly different by individual tastes.

I'd say that JW WE396A and JJ 6386 are the best available tubes for the Havana, i also recommend to change the stock fuse with a better one like hi-fi tuning fuse or furutech

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #860 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say that JW WE396A and JJ 6386 are the best available tubes for the Havana, i also recommend to change the stock fuse with a better one like hi-fi tuning fuse or furutech

The JJ 6386 is also from a running production (in Slovakia) and one of the best tubes, but technically not exactly the same, so I didn't mention it. For a beginner is it better to have an eye on the affordable direct substitutes.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #861 of 2,680
Since discovering my 'filtering' powercord did not do good for my Havana and chancing it for a simple Belden cable two months ago (described in this tread in far too many words) I have used the new JJ6386 tube.
This weekend I realized never had listened to my JW WE396 (1954, square getters) with this configuration.
So I put in the WE396 had some long listening sessions and I now prefer the WE396 to the 6386.
In my speakerbased system (see sign) the 6386 sounds neutral and smooth, especially in the treble, voices and instruments are more or less on the same line line, soundstage is broad.
the WE396 puts voices more in front of the instruments and adds more sparkle in the treble and more life to the bass. Soundstage seems slightly less broad but with more depth. The WE396 also sounds louder subjectively, probably because of its more lively character.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #862 of 2,680
Dura and Acoustic dreams,

Thanks for your comments.
What is the best site to buy from used or new.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #863 of 2,680
"2C51 / WE396A USA, current stock is all CBS with D-Getter
[396A-USA] 22,50 Euro
(incl. 19% Vat excl. shipping, exportvalue: 18,91 Euro)

2C51 (=WE396A, 6385, 6N3P) made in USA

LIMITED SUPPLY !

The 2C51 is the identical tube as the WE 396A just not made by Western Electric but other US manufacturers like SYLVANIA, RCA, Bendix and others."

2C51 is found on western electric, tung sol sylvania bendix. What is that we are looking for. What is this D-Getter.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #864 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdhanwada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2C51 is found on Western Electric, Tung-Sol, Sylvania, Bendix. What is that we are looking for? What is this D-Getter?

What a getter exactly is, you may find here. In the most tubes are ring-getters, but some special tubes are made with a D-getter. This getter has the shape of the character "D". They are mostly expensive and also hard to find, for example PHILIPS Miniwatt ECC83 (straight D-getter with flat cross bar, stapled plates). But a D-getter doesn't automatically guarantee a better sound!

What we are looking for, is all mentioned on my short list. For a rough overview at first is it enough. For further information I recommend a good book about the basics of valves and amplifiers. There are also the individual elements of the valve structure commonly explained.

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #865 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you order it from? Google shopping gives no results and neither does ebay. I want one bad!
L3000.gif

I just bought one off eBay...just about two hours ago direct from MHDT. I was a bit shocked by the $899 but wanted to give a NOS dac a try. I also bought two different NOS WE 396 tubes from two different sources.

Cheers!

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #866 of 2,680
^ You can get one directly from MHDT for $854 + $45 (US)
Ordering Information

I bought a Havana a few weeks ago, the sound is silky smooth but the sound stage is noticeably narrower than my tiny Gamma 2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #867 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ You can get one directly from MHDT for $854 + $45 (US)
Ordering Information

I bought a Havana a few weeks ago, the sound is silky smooth but the sound stage is noticeably narrower than my tiny Gamma 2.
smily_headphones1.gif

You just saved me $45! If you're at CanJam this year I owe you a beer...

I wrote MHDT and asked for the $45 refund. I'm assuming they'll give it to me.

Thanks!
John

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #868 of 2,680
Has everyone that ordered from Mhdt Labs recently been in contact with them? I’m trying to get a answer to a question, but I haven’t gotten an answer in 2 weeks :/ The Chinese New Year is over now right?
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #869 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has everyone that ordered from Mhdt Labs recently been in contact with them? I’m trying to get a answer to a question, but I haven’t gotten an answer in 2 weeks :/ The Chinese New Year is over now right?
tongue.gif

I haven't gotten any word from them but I just ordered yesterday. Hopefully it won't take them too long to get in touch with me.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #870 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also tried to contact them a few weeks ago, but no answer at all. These people isn't willing to answer technical questions, that is reason enough for me to stop dealing with them. Communication is normally part of the service, in this case is it probably more a barrier.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back