MHDT Havana DAC
Dec 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #2,371 of 2,680
 With Audyn TC I had a small bump in low mids, with Rike my system is extremely clean : everything is at its right place and controlled (low freqs could still be better but never heard havana very good here).

You will see that Havana it is capable of that (yet keeping some reservations). So, after the complete break-in, low frequencies will be very satisfying, believe me!
smile.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #2,372 of 2,680
I planned to let Rike s-cap burn in a while anyway to see how it improves but I doubt it can reach the richness and impact I expect. Answer in a few days !

I swapped Vcap Cutf on c12 this evening with Jupiter HT (and rike on c11 so), but no miracle. I find back the medium I love so much with HT & Audyn VT but lose clarity, alive feeling and lows get back slow and round. So it's too much on the Jupiter HT side. It should be better with Audyn TC but I don't think it's the solution anyway.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #2,374 of 2,680
Happy new year to all full of music and discoveries !
happy_face1.gif

My havana is muted : I soldered back vcap cutf on c12 but the dac doesn't initialize anymore. Havana appears on my computer and smartphone but diodes stay blue and red instead of turning green as usual. And of course no sound. When I plug havana with usb cable a green light appears but blue and red ones don't change like in rca.

I unsoldered and soldered c12 back but no change. I hear a small click every 40 seconds like if havana tried to initialize but I don't really see where's the problem. Certainly nothing, a loose connection somewhere.... What I don't know if it can come from anywhere on the circuit or from a specific area of the circuit. I'll look at that this weekend but any idea is welcome.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2,375 of 2,680
Happy new year to all full of music and discoveries ! :happy_face1:

My havana is muted : I soldered back vcap cutf on c12 but the dac doesn't initialize anymore. Havana appears on my computer and smartphone but diodes stay blue and red instead of turning green as usual. And of course no sound. When I plug havana with usb cable a green light appears but blue and red ones don't change like in rca.

I unsoldered and soldered c12 back but no change. I hear a small click every 40 seconds like if havana tried to initialize but I don't really see where's the problem. Certainly nothing, a loose connection somewhere.... What I don't know if it can come from anywhere on the circuit or from a specific area of the circuit. I'll look at that this weekend but any idea is welcome.

That sucks! Try removing the board from the chassis and playing it off of just the board. One time I couldn't get a signal after trying to keep capacitor leads long and tucking them under the board. After clipping the leads it was okay again. Maybe there is some contact with the chassis? I am probably the last person who can diagnose an electronics problem but worth a try.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2,377 of 2,680
  I had a look at my dac just now, it was almost unmounted so I mounted it back in its case and it works... I don't try to understand
normal_smile .gif

Good. Go to work now. I mean the break-in capacitors
etysmile.gif

After 300/350 hours Rike S-Caps produces acoustic instruments and vocals in a very natural and convincing way. Once beyond a critical point, progressively, instruments and vocals gets a solid and full-body, before the sound seems a little thin. Everything is expressed more vigorously, with better atack & authority; better articulated; These capacitors are capable of exemplary coherence. I'm very satisfied of the combination S-Caps&CuTF!!
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #2,379 of 2,680
Hello all,

if I try to burn in caps without playing music but the dac turned on only, does it burn caps as well or do I have to turn all the system on and play music in the same time ?

I have a doubt.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #2,385 of 2,680
Nice stuff 10uf Rike Uf caps are huge.... a lot of fun coming.  Rike S cap and Audyn TC are on my mind a very interesting combination while these caps are so complementaries. At least on the paper, I didn't have the opportunity to test but looks attractive !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back