Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #12,737 of 13,037
Just a little confused. Looks to me that they are introducing the Elites for the second time ("more clarity" etc). Are the Elites still Mezes top of the line headphones?

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #12,739 of 13,037
Just a little confused. Looks to me that they are introducing the Elites for the second time ("more clarity" etc). Are the Elites still Mezes top of the line headphones?
In simpler terms, the Elite will still be the best and most expensive product from Meze. The new Empyrean will replace the original product at the same price as the OG Empys. So, the Elite will still be the TOTL for Meze.

Still, it will be interesting to see the comparisons between the two headphones to see which model is more interesting and has better sound and musicality.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #12,740 of 13,037
The new Empyrean will replace the original product at the same price as the OG Empys
Is it confirmed, that these will be a replacement and no addition?

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #12,741 of 13,037
In simpler terms, the Elite will still be the best and most expensive product from Meze. The new Empyrean will replace the original product at the same price as the OG Empys. So, the Elite will still be the TOTL for Meze.

Still, it will be interesting to see the comparisons between the two headphones to see which model is more interesting and has better sound and musicality.
Yes, in the video and in the written review as well they emphasised that still the Elite is the flagship Meze. To me it sounded like the Empy 2 has a bit of a different character to both the og Empy and Elite: a bit more focused and dynamic. The Elite is still the most spacious out of the 3. It will be interesting to read impressions and try the Empy 2 one day. I must try them personally as opinions on Meze headphones are usually quite controversial and they differ vastly. I imagine the choice between these 3 headphones is more of a personal preference. It was already between the og Empy and Elite, it is even more so between the Elite and Empy 2. I am expecting a slightly different, more controlled and more dynamic sound in the new Empy versus the existing top Meze headphones.

I do have a couple more questions though:

1, Is there going to be an Elite 2?
2, How exactly is the Empy 2 driver different to the Elite's? Material? Membrane thickness?

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #12,743 of 13,037
Yes, it is confirmed.
Interesting choice if it's such a departure from the og sound.

Makes me happy that I never sold my og Empyreans

Well 9h to go for All the official Info.

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #12,745 of 13,037
You were as excited about the Composer 😉, getting this one instead?
Where have I been excited about the composer?

I always said, that it probably won't have enough Bass for me and that I might audition it at Munich High End 2024.

I was quite interested in the HEDDphone TWO, due to it's unique tech. Similarly here, the subbass rolloff is what kept me from getting one blindly (still interested in an audition tho)

I love the Meze house sound, except for the 99 versions I have all Mezes in my collection and plan on aquiring all new releases (at least those with Rinaro drivers)

Nov 8, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #12,746 of 13,037
Available early from headphone.shop as well, with full spec sheet: https://headphone.shop/product/meze-empyrean-ii/

Looks like the Lower Frequency Limit went from 4 Hz to 8 Hz, otherwise mostly identical. And they still call the driver MZ3. The MZ3SE from the Elite goes down to 3 Hz.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #12,747 of 13,037
Available early from headphone.shop as well, with full spec sheet: https://headphone.shop/product/meze-empyrean-ii/

Looks like the Lower Frequency Limit went from 4 Hz to 8 Hz, otherwise mostly identical. And they still call the driver MZ3. The MZ3SE from the Elite goes down to 3 Hz.
It's annoying that sensitivity on old Empyrean is in db per mW vs db per mV on new Empyrean II

Impdeance is different.
32 Ohm on Empyrean II
31,6 Ohm on Empyrean

Interestingly new Empyrean II is ~50g lighter in weight (or they chose to unclude pads on old measurements)

THD is probably a typo.
Empyrean <0.1%
Elite <0.05%
Empyrean II <0.5%

Btw, he expects the few units of the first batch to sell fast, if you're on the fence decide fast. Next batch might take a while since asia will come first

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #12,749 of 13,037
Interesting choice if it's such a departure from the og sound.

Makes me happy that I never sold my og Empyreans

Well 9h to go for All the official Info.
That was my original point when I posted yesterday.

I’m doubling down it was a mistake to replace the original. They should’ve added a third headphone instead, I’ve done anything at all. I’ll bet in the end they don’t end up with really that many more sales in totality.

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #12,750 of 13,037
That was my original point when I posted yesterday.

I’m doubling down it was a mistake to replace the original. They should’ve added a third headphone instead, I’ve done anything at all. I’ll bet in the end they don’t end up with really that many more sales in totality.
That's hard to predict.
Empyrean was really dividing in a way, listeners either loved it or hated it.

I think (but I don't have actual numbers) that the Elite signature was much easier accepted and more widely appreciated.

So if Empyrean II goes into that direction, but to a lesser degree, it might be a killer release or a total flop.
Either it Hits the sweetspot or there is no point in not going for the Elite directly

We'll see soon enough. As always I expect a banger. I love both, so if it Lands in between it might become my favourite yet

Users who are viewing this thread

• Rogy
Back