Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 5, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #12,601 of 12,974
Me too, listening to Mozart's 39th symphony with FiiO M17.
I like them so much that I am tempted to buy them again despite owning the Elite!
I own both and both receive ample playtime.

Jul 5, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #12,602 of 12,974
Hey guys, what do you think of the Empyrean with the new angled pads?
Is it like buying a new headphone with an almost perfect tonality that gets very close to the Elite (with stock pads) or am I exaggerating?
I got the new pads a few weeks ago, and i’m very impressed. They seem to maintain the deep punchy bass of the stock leather pads and improve upper midrange detail, without the sometimes ‘closed-in’ or ’boxy’ kind of feeling I would get with the leather. Anyone who has an Empyrean really should get these pads, you definitely get your money’s worth for the improvement to SQ.

It’s nearly 2 years since getting my Empy, and I’m still not really looking for any other headphone.

Jul 6, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #12,603 of 12,974
It’s nearly 2 years since getting my Empy, and I’m still not really looking for any other headphone.
4 years for me. Overall they are by far my most used headphones.

The only time I ever thought about selling them, was in order to get a limited Empyrean instead. However turned out that by SO really likes the copper color and talked me out of it.

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #12,604 of 12,974
4 years for me. Overall they are by far my most used headphones.

The only time I ever thought about selling them, was in order to get a limited Empyrean instead. However turned out that by SO really likes the copper color and talked me out of it.
Japp since i got the Angled Pads i think it is currently my perfect headphone since you can switch between "thiiiick warm and lush" and "more neutral detailed an airy " with the pads.

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #12,605 of 12,974
How many different pad options are there now ? Someone should do a run down on all of them. I think someone did in this thread a while back actually.

I've placed my Empyreans in the classifieds with the angled pads.

I am sellinbeas I do not need 3 pairs of headphones. I was very close to keeping them as I do still love them but I cant justify it. :pensive:

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/meze-empyrean-with-angled-pad.49531/

Cheers all

I agree, you only need 2 pairs of (hopefully contrasting) high end headphones. If you keep more because they're still good, you'll end up not using them. I still have a quite a few that I need to get around to selling, but selling is a bit of a hassle sometimes. And also sometimes I regret selling headphones, like I regretted selling the HD800, even though I knew I'd never listen to it much.

between Hugo2 and Woo WA33, I find empy scales with better output and difference is significant.
I still find empyrean shines out of the Hugo2 tho. It's much harsher with most hifimans.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #12,606 of 12,974
How many different pad options are there now ? Someone should do a run down on all of them
There are 4/5 different pads right now.

Original Leather:
Warm, lush, thick.

Vegan leather:
Sounds the same as original leather. Less comfortable imo though.

Angled Alcantara:
More spacious, less thick, airy, detailed

"Old" Alcantara:
A worse version of angled Alcantara. Imo they bring nothing over the other pads.

Elite Hybrid:
More spacious than thick leather, less than angled Alcantara.
Less bass than thick leather more than angled Alcantara.
More energetic than Angled Alcantara.
They are not as deep and ears might touch the the Cover.

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #12,607 of 12,974

Original Leather:
Warm, lush, thick.

Vegan leather:

Angled Alcantara:

"Old" Alcantara:
A worse version of angled Alcantara. Imo they bring nothing over the other pads.

Elite Hybrid:
That's a great summary!

Jul 6, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #12,608 of 12,974

Original Leather:
Warm, lush, thick.

Vegan leather:

Angled Alcantara:

"Old" Alcantara:

Elite Hybrid:
My Angled Alcantara pads just arrived and I'm giving them a go now. I am hearing them like you are. The overall sound isn't as thick as it was with the leather pads. The upper mids and treble frequencies are coming through clearer with more details and clarity. The bass sounds more controlled with less of a mid bass hump. There's also better separation between the bass and mid bass which is letting the midrange shine more. I appreciate the uptick in a cleaner overall sound. I think these will be staying on.

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #12,611 of 12,974
My Empyrean's are sounding like a different headphone with the angled alcantara pads equipped. Dare I say a more technical headphone?? Maybe it's because the slightly lighter sound is letting more of the music through. There is hardly any bass loss with the angled alcantara pads. However, I am noticing the bass emphasis has changed from mid bass to sub bass making the Empyrean's sound much more balanced than ever before. This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Whatever the case, it's great to rediscover the sound of my Empyrean's with the angled alcantara pads. It's an incredible listen.

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #12,613 of 12,974
Ugh. You guys have me seriously considering buying $200 ear pads.

I love the Empyreans for their lush, warm and organic tonality but a bit more clarity and space wouldn't be a bad thing. My go-to's currently are the OG Leathers.

Jul 7, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #12,614 of 12,974
Ugh. You guys have me seriously considering buying $200 ear pads.

I love the Empyreans for their lush, warm and organic tonality but a bit more clarity and space wouldn't be a bad thing. My go-to's currently are the OG Leathers.
Well gaining a 2nd flagship headphone for 200,- doesn't sound like a bad deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back