Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Oct 27, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #11,387 of 12,974
Hey Folks,

I'm offering an Empyrean upgrade kit within the EU consisting of
1x Meze Silver plated upgrade cable with 4 pin XLR retailing for 500€, with only ~6h of usage. Basically like new. And
1x Elite Hybrid Pad Set, unused and originally sealed. Retail 200€

As bundle for 500€

For those who want to add a new flavor or generally upgrade their Empy.

Tomorrow I will create a classified for it, when I can take photos with daylight.

Just thought I might give a headsup here.
If inrerested shoot me a PM

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #11,388 of 12,974
Are selling your Empy or is it they are spare now you have the Elite?

For those who don't have the Silver Upgrade Cable, it is well worth it!

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #11,390 of 12,974
Are selling your Empy or is it they are spare now you have the Elite?

For those who don't have the Silver Upgrade Cable, it is well worth it!

I don't think that he is selling his Elites.
No way!!
I keep both Empyrean and Elite.
However I don't need the cable since my Norne Silvergarde S4 8-wire is superior.
And since I keep both I also don't need a pair of replacement pads in the foreseeable future.

Those are new and sealed pads, not the ones from my Elite.

Initially when I pre ordered the Elite it sounded like a simple upgrade from the Empyrean.
The Empyreans leather pads have the strongest Bass among the 3 pads.
Therefore I planned to keep the Elite with additional Empyrean pads.

My dealer however sent me a pair of Elite Hybrid pads by mistake instead of the Empyrean leather pads.

Since my plans changed and I keep both headphones, I don't need the additional set of pads and offer them here.

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #11,391 of 12,974
I can vouch for the empy with the cardas audio clear xlr cable.
To my ears a great match bringing out a bit more quickness to the sound while still maintaining the romance of the empys.

Oct 29, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #11,392 of 12,974
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #11,393 of 12,974
My lord these Empys are so good! I curse all the people who trash talked this headphones which had me hesitating for like two years to get them. Last night I was grooving to a wide assortment of pop/K-pop (yes, yes I also tried the typical audiophile-approved 24 bit/192/DSD whatever masters, classical, jazz, vocal, etc. etc.) switching back and forth between the D8K Pro and Empy and yes the D8K Pro is more detailed and sound awesome but the Empys have some sort of magical unicorn powers where even with less details it sounds more detailed in the details it has. I know I sound crazy LOL but an example of this is vocal intelligibility. It's much easier to pick out what the singer was saying/lyrics of a song when listening to the Empy, even when other headphones have more micro details/transient speed or more upfront vocals. Empys have this inner-detail... something definitely special about them that's hard to articulate and non-traditional metric. I think this is one of those headphones that is paradigm shifting for me as it seems to redefine what detail is and how much detail is needed for me to enjoy and get lost in the music. Also the Empys sound grand and large in a way that's not just about driver size. The Arya's have massive drivers with the large oval cups but the Empys' stage is grander and larger still. It just has the refinement/finesse of the expensive headphones that you feel immediately when putting on the Utopia/LCD-4Z as well. What a headphone!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #11,394 of 12,974
I could never understand why they had a bad rep. I maybe about to trade in for the Elite but I've had 14 months of headphone bliss with them. So much so, I couldn't bring myself to upgrade to another make of headphone. They are so comfortable and the build quality is what I'd expect for something at this price level. You feel like you're buying top end because of the love and attention gone in to every detail of the headphones!

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #11,396 of 12,974
Why did you choose Empys and not Elite?
Simple answer for you: I'm also buying the Elites :sunglasses: (they're sold out in my country, waiting for next stock)

*Also, Empy can be had for a reasonable discount while Elite is full MSRP + VAT. I'm pretty happy with my Empy + 13 other headphones so... not in a hurry to drop $4000 + VAT... there is also the LCD-5 / Susvara / Solitaire P / Dave... on and on... endless rabbit hole to explore :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'll try to go slow and enjoy the journey... also Elites will just be another flavor in my collection and the Empy ain't going nowhere!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #11,397 of 12,974
Well said, Meze Empyrean with "Magical unicorn powers". These have also stopped the neverending need to upgrade. Tonally these fit my taste, the fit and finish is excellent and the comfort is something no-other headphone has achieved. Keeper.

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #11,398 of 12,974
My lord these Empys are so good! I curse all the people who trash talked this headphones which had me hesitating for like two years to get them. Last night I was grooving to a wide assortment of pop/K-pop (yes, yes I also tried the typical audiophile-approved 24 bit/192/DSD whatever masters, classical, jazz, vocal, etc. etc.) switching back and forth between the D8K Pro and Empy and yes the D8K Pro is more detailed and sound awesome but the Empys have some sort of magical unicorn powers where even with less details it sounds more detailed in the details it has. I know I sound crazy LOL but an example of this is vocal intelligibility. It's much easier to pick out what the singer was saying/lyrics of a song when listening to the Empy, even when other headphones have more micro details/transient speed or more upfront vocals. Empys have this inner-detail... something definitely special about them that's hard to articulate and non-traditional metric. I think this is one of those headphones that is paradigm shifting for me as it seems to redefine what detail is and how much detail is needed for me to enjoy and get lost in the music. Also the Empys sound grand and large in a way that's not just about driver size. The Arya's have massive drivers with the large oval cups but the Empys' stage is grander and larger still. It just has the refinement/finesse of the expensive headphones that you feel immediately when putting on the Utopia/LCD-4Z as well. What a headphone!
Simple answer for you: I'm also buying the Elites :sunglasses: (they're sold out in my country, waiting for next stock)

*Also, Empy can be had for a reasonable discount while Elite is full MSRP + VAT. I'm pretty happy with my Empy + 13 other headphones so... not in a hurry to drop $4000 + VAT... there is also the LCD-5 / Susvara / Solitaire P / Dave... on and on... endless rabbit hole to explore :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'll try to go slow and enjoy the journey... also Elites will just be another flavor in my collection and the Empy ain't going nowhere!

Another testimony that more details doesn't necessarily enhance music enjoyment.

While all Empyrean advocates will have a big smile when they read " some sort of magical unicorn powers", I paused at "pretty happy with my Empy + 13 other headphones" and checked the headphone list in your signature immediately. That must be quite a journey before you find Empyrean.

A very famous Chinese poetry flashed into my mind, and it goes like this:

"In the huge crowds, her I must find!
I search and search for countless times ...
Suddenly --
Turning my head,
She's there instead
Where the lights glow dimly."

Excerpt from "Green Jade Table: Chinese Valentine's Night (First Full Moon of the Year)", Xin Qiji (1140 - 1207)

I wish every headphone user will find "her" or "him" after the long and winding searching journey. It don't necessarily be Empyrean or Elite (we sure want that is the case), as long as you find you beloved headphone and enjoy you music every time you put it on, we feel contented and encouraged to continue this business.
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 4, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #11,399 of 12,974
Since I am a relatively poor (budget audiophile) compared to most of the members of the threads I am following, take my opinion with a grain of salt. My current financial situation does not allow me to keep 10 or even 5 flagship headphones. If I could of course I would. :)

The Empyrean was my first high-end love. Not just because of the improved technicalities and lifelikeness above other usual 500-1500$ headphones but because of its unique (warm, natural) sound presentation (and industry standard design/build).

I love the Empy's soft, sweet and easy listening sound to date. If I could afford to keep a stable of high-end headphones, they would definitely stay. But the more TOTL headphones I try the more I can see the Empy's as flavour/mood/easy listening cans when it comes to comparing them to similarly priced high-end headphones.

While I still immensely enjoy my Empyrean for its smooth and soft presentation, I simply can't ignore the fact that my D8000 (with the D8kpro pads and XLR cable) sound tighter, more accurate, more balanced and more detailed while almost equally warm and perhaps even more fun (to me personally).

As I said, if I was a millionaire I would keep the Empys forever for certain moods. I love it's bigger soundstage, soft and rounded sound, even though details, definition and accuracy is lost compared to other similarly priced flagships.

I personally love a punchier and more defined, more accurate presentation with my type of music (modern with plenty of bass) so I actually enjoy the D8K's enhanced dynamics, clarity and bass impact a little more than the Empy's extra bass quantity but lesser refinement. (I prefer Audeze bass to HiFiMan bass.)

That said, if I sell my Empyrean I will always miss them. Until I can comfortably afford several flagships I guess. :)
The Empyrean offers a very comfortable, seductive and warm sound, but these Romanian engineering marvel is slightly further away from what I would call 'accurate', 'dynamic' and 'balanced' when it comes to comparisons to other 2-4K headphones. Raw facts as they are. Still the Empyreans are perhaps the most engaging headphones I have ever heard. The D8K conveys more information and allows a deeper/clearer insight into the sound stage.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #11,400 of 12,974
Meze Audio elite Dark version 50 pcs

Attachments

• p7uyt9u2twm71.jpg
    p7uyt9u2twm71.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • g1fevzw2twm71.jpg
    g1fevzw2twm71.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • mek29d23twm71.jpg
    mek29d23twm71.jpg