Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 8, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #11,416 of 12,984
i would like to buy the meze empyrean in the near future. since it would be my first electrostatic / magnetic headphones, i have a question: do i have to have a energiser like the ifi pro iesl?

because z reviews use this pro iesl for the stax and describes it as being a MUST for those magnetic headphones. however, he does not plug the meze into the iesl but rather directly to the ican / amp. am i missing something here or did understand it total wrong?
The Meze Empyrean is a Planar Magnetic headphone, so you don't need an energizer, just a regular headphone amp.

Also my two cents about Zeos is to watch him for entertainment value, and take his views on audio with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #11,417 of 12,984
i would like to buy the meze empyrean in the near future. since it would be my first electrostatic / magnetic headphones, i have a question: do i have to have a energiser like the ifi pro iesl?

because z reviews use this pro iesl for the stax and describes it as being a MUST for those magnetic headphones. however, he does not plug the meze into the iesl but rather directly to the ican / amp. am i missing something here or did understand it total wrong?
No, the empyrean is not an electrostatic headphone. I think the technical term is orthodynamic, which is fancy way of saying a planar magnetic. It uses standard audio plugs for power though planars in general have slightly different power needs than classic dynamic driver headphones.

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #11,418 of 12,984
No, the empyrean is not an electrostatic headphone. I think the technical term is orthodynamic, which is fancy way of saying a planar magnetic. It uses standard audio plugs for power though planars in general have slightly different power needs than classic dynamic driver headphones.
Too slow... :wink:

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #11,419 of 12,984
The Meze Empyrean is a Planar Magnetic headphone, so you don't need an energizer, just a regular headphone amp.

Also my two cents about Zeos is to watch him for entertainment value, and take his views on audio with a grain of salt.
thank you. this helps me. got it.

perfectly summarized. thank you so much.

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #11,420 of 12,984
Here's a question for you, what IEM do you have or had that you'd say comes close to what Empyrean does?
I feel like for a headphone, I'm all-in with the Empyrean, but now wondering what IEMs would compare favourably.. thanks
Out of my collection, i would say Legend X because i find it extremely musical and enjoyable with a nice smooth treble but as much as i adore my X, it's still not close to the magic of the empy.

Nov 8, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #11,421 of 12,984
Here's a question for you, what IEM do you have or had that you'd say comes close to what Empyrean does?
I feel like for a headphone, I'm all-in with the Empyrean, but now wondering what IEMs would compare favourably.. thanks
As the Empy is a TOTL HP it is, for the most part, better than any IEM in pure sound quality ( I am leaving out mobility and sensitivity, though the Empy is easy to drive). For me, the two best IEM’s are the Traillii and the Erlkonig. These will not sound exactly like it ( no IEM will), but they have traits that are special. The Traillii can have smoother upper mids and treble of the two while having the correct timbre. The new VE EXT and Phonix would also be two to check out as well as the Empire Ears Evo. The Legend X as well. Tks.

Nov 8, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #11,422 of 12,984

An energizer (or specialized e-stat amp) is a must for electrostatic headphones, such as various Stax models. It is not required for planar magnetic headphones, such as the Meze Empyrean or Elite.

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #11,423 of 12,984
i just learned it :)

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #11,424 of 12,984
Out of my collection, i would say Legend X because i find it extremely musical and enjoyable with a nice smooth treble but as much as i adore my X, it's still not close to the magic of the empy.
The new VE EXT and Phonix would also be two to check out as well as the Empire Ears Evo. The Legend X as well. Tks.
Not surprised you mention Legend X. I was fortunate to recently demo an EVO, it was pretty special in it's ability to create a massive feeling of space underpinned by that wonderful bass. VE & Oriolus have no local resellers, so it's impossible for me to demo their gear, but from all I read EXT should be a low-risk blind-buy...

Being 'stuck' with the Empyrean and IER-Z1R is not such bad thing while I wait for funding allocation, and keep an eye on the classifieds. :)

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #11,425 of 12,984
Just to chime in re cabling for the Meze Empyrean, I wonder how many people that didn't 'get' empyrean, was using the normal stock cable while demoing.

I have recently got an offer to sell my meze silver plated upgrade cable, and forgetting what it does to my setup, I switched back to stock to see if I can live with the stock and move on the silver cable. But the difference this cable make is actually very noticeable. Specifically it focused the sound signature where the stock cable makes the treble sounded rounded off and the base boomy. The silver cable sharpens everything up for a clearer presentation. Probably comparable to a tube upgrade for a tube amp.

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #11,426 of 12,984
The Elite one of these days, but in the meantime-- continuing love for the Empyrean. If I could only keep one headphone, that's the headphone. (Over my LCD4, HE1000SE, V2, Utopia, Thekk, whatever else I have).
My vote is for the hekse but I respect your choice/opinion

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #11,427 of 12,984
Going through my headphone journey over the past 7 years, i can safely say that the Empy is the best all rounder i've ever had.
Fantastic with my cardas clear XLR, qutest and Burson Soloist.
Hi Jeff
This is Peter that you bought your mate’s empy from

How’s he going with it a week or two in?

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #11,428 of 12,984
Just to chime in re cabling for the Meze Empyrean, I wonder how many people that didn't 'get' empyrean, was using the normal stock cable while demoing.

I have recently got an offer to sell my meze silver plated upgrade cable, and forgetting what it does to my setup, I switched back to stock to see if I can live with the stock and move on the silver cable. But the difference this cable make is actually very noticeable. Specifically it focused the sound signature where the stock cable makes the treble sounded rounded off and the base boomy. The silver cable sharpens everything up for a clearer presentation. Probably comparable to a tube upgrade for a tube amp.
For me the empys needed a little bit of silver in the cable and a touch of eq at 1 or 1.5khz

Ymmv

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #11,429 of 12,984
Hi Jeff
This is Peter that you bought your mate’s empy from

How’s he going with it a week or two in?
Hi Peter.

Yes my mate is enjoying it alot. Really satisfied with the sound. He decided to get a soloist 3xp as his amp and is in the market for a for a dac to replace his topping d50s as he wants to maximise his investment. He may look at a used quetest to copy me haha.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #11,430 of 12,984
Hi Peter.

Yes my mate is enjoying it alot. Really satisfied with the sound. He decided to get a soloist 3xp as his amp and is in the market for a for a dac to replace his topping d50s as he wants to maximise his investment. He may look at a used quetest to copy me haha.
solid choice

as you probably know the qutests pop up every now and then on stereonet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back