Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 17, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #10,696 of 13,028
Maybe it’s possible they’ll have something at next month’s CanJam in Southern California? Meze is listed as an exhibitor.
There's some justifiable hope in that comment! Nice 👍

With all the pandemic stuff going on, I'd unfortunately forgotten all about the various trade shows that are usually going on. Hopefully Canjam doesn't get cut blocked by Delta, and that Meze brings something to the show.

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #10,697 of 13,028
There's some justifiable hope in that comment! Nice 👍

With all the pandemic stuff going on, I'd unfortunately forgotten all about the various trade shows that are usually going on. Hopefully Canjam doesn't get cut blocked by Delta, and that Meze brings something to the show.

True. I’m excited to be able to go next month. However, I may have to pass if things continue to get worse. We’ll see.

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #10,698 of 13,028
According to the comments on Instagram it's more likely to be in between 99 classic and Empyrean.

And thr Empyrean and Hekv1 most certainly don't sound alike
It's the most logical play to introduce a kind of Empyrean Jr. at a lower price point. But, Meze also started out a bit different with the 99 and then a $3000 TOTL candidate, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they aim further up market with an Elite Empyrean.

Due to various things in the past year and coming year, I'm still a fence sitter here. But all I keep reading about the Empyreans makes me feel they've got to sound a bit like an HEKv1. I loved those and then sold them, but when I did hear the HEKv2s and HEKse later, I didn't really vibe with them as much. And when I read comparisons of the Empyreans vs. The HEKv2s and HEKse, it sounds just like the feelings I had vs. the HEKv1.

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #10,699 of 13,028
True. I’m excited to be able to go next month. However, I may have to pass if things continue to get worse. We’ll see.
Good luck on getting there. I'm far, far to far away for that to be an option. I skipped a show in Shanghai about a year ago because all the international exhibitors weren't permitted to attend at that time and the local scene moves too fast for me to keep up with.

Anyway, hopefully Canjam goes ahead and things are positive.

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #10,700 of 13,028
So the EE has been up on Meze's Insta for like 3 months now. Has the hype totally died because we never got any more real info? Are those ~50 Dark Mystery sets from that German headphone shop the same thing?

To throw my 2 cents in, I'm hoping for an even higher end version of the Empyreans.

On a side note, is there any consensus that the Empyreans sound similar to an HEKv1?
I think you are referring to this model, listed in the classifieds. I wish I had the money...

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #10,701 of 13,028
So the EE has been up on Meze's Insta for like 3 months now. Has the hype totally died because we never got any more real info? Are those ~50 Dark Mystery sets from that German headphone shop the same thing?

To throw my 2 cents in, I'm hoping for an even higher end version of the Empyreans.

On a side note, is there any consensus that the Empyreans sound similar to an HEKv1?
hype? You’re looking for hype?

I have the empyreans, utopia, susvara and hd800.
none of them have hype anymore - but they did. And i’m okay with that :)

maybe i have been here too long but i have not felt or seen much hype on any new headphones in recent times. Maybe i just don’t feel it anymore.

most hype i witness nowadays are dacs - eg bartok, denafrips, holo audio.
but maybe that’s just me.

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #10,702 of 13,028
hype? You’re looking for hype?

I have the empyreans, utopia, susvara and hd800.
none of them have hype anymore - but they did. And i’m okay with that :)

maybe i have been here too long but i have not felt or seen much hype on any new headphones in recent times. Maybe i just don’t feel it anymore.

most hype i witness nowadays are dacs - eg bartok, denafrips, holo audio.
but maybe that’s just me.

You basically have the best of the best of headphones. Must be lonely at the top. What motivates you to listen to one over the other?

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #10,703 of 13,028
You basically have the best of the best of headphones. Must be lonely at the top. What motivates you to listen to one over the other?
This is my one and only indulgence. And only addiction. And i was in a financial position in the last 18 months that i was able to splurge on this hobby at this level

i slowly built/saved up towards the susvaras which suit best.

the hd800 were my first serious headphones And they are great with my tube wa2. These items are not the easiest to sell and what i consider a fair price for the value i place on them

The utopias were a 50yo birthday gift and give great punch. Ultimately sentimental reason holds me from selling them.

and the empyreans i bought, sold and rebought. Only time that i have done that. I bought them at a price that was too tempting. They would be the first ones that i would sell if i really needed to for the $

they each offer something different so it depends what i feel like for that night.

susvara - transparency
utopia - detail and punch
empyrean - warm round tone
hd800 - open, airy, laid back with the wa2

when i am listening to one i don’t consider or try to compare the others. Each the headphone for what it is.

but this is hard to do if i am not listening with the susvaras and a track comes up and i want to capture as much of the nuances that i can (eg cello music) - then i reach/yearn for the susvaras or i go to the next track and move on

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #10,704 of 13,028
More than a month ago. Was told that if I could wait I should wait. However I couldn't wait and proceeded with the Empy.. didn't regret though. It's been a month still no news of new model...

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #10,706 of 13,028
Whatever Meze does next, the Empyrean will remain an excellent headphone.
You're already starting defensive maneuvers, eh? You sound familiar with this neck of the woods 😉

We both know that as soon as an Empyrean V2 or an even higher model comes out, the bashing will start for how the V1s don't cut it anymore, they've been devalued, or they were just a test product and the V2s were always scheduled, or that overall, Meze's release cycle is too fast for buyers' "investments" 🤣

I bet some lonely, unused and unloved V1s will hit the Classifieds then for some great prices. As always.

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #10,707 of 13,028
You're already starting defensive maneuvers, eh? You sound familiar with this neck of the woods 😉

We both know that as soon as an Empyrean V2 or an even higher model comes out, the bashing will start for how the V1s don't cut it anymore, they've been devalued, or they were just a test product and the V2s were always scheduled, or that overall, Meze's release cycle is too fast for buyers' "investments" 🤣

I bet some lonely, unused and unloved V1s will hit the Classifieds then for some great prices. As always.
Sounds like an accurate prediction. This would happen.

However he is right and the Empyrean will remain an excellent headphone despite the bashing.

My guess is, that we will reveive something in the Arya League, or a closed back first and a successor in like 2 years.

I just hope they announce it soon, since I will hold out with my CRBN purchase until I know the new Meze release

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #10,709 of 13,028
I didn’t know the Elite was coming out. Trying to sell mine now but only because I bought the Susvaras. Bad timing :/

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back