Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 10, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #10,681 of 13,037
In this sound, Meze Empyrean doesn’t have a great microdynamics (macrodynamic).
For me comfortable volume in the area of red color (from yellow color decrease by 8-5 divisions). With these Chord Hugo2Go volume settings is hard to hear overtones, has no easy playback. When the volume is increased (to yellow level), overtones is already heard, but it is still not easy to reproduce (Meze Empyrean does not sing with freedom and full diаphragm). If I listen for a long time (1-4 hours) on this volume (yellow), I get a headache.
When listening to music using Chord Hugo2Go + FitEar MH335DW SR everything is just great (they sing freely and authentically).
Red is pretty much the lowest volume setting on Hugo 2. I think what you meant by "full diaphragm" was to get something with bigger soundstage?

Have you tried to other set up that you felt Empyrean perform with freedom?

p.s: I think something like Audeze 4z would be closer to 335dwsr character but more in all aspects.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #10,682 of 13,037
I think what you meant by "full diaphragm" was to get something with bigger soundstage?
Wikipedia
Belcanto (Italian bel canto - "beautiful singing") - in opera: the technique of virtuoso singing, which is characterized by smooth transition from sound to sound, easy sound production, beautiful and rich color of sound, evenness of the voice in all registers, lightness of sound, which is preserved in technically mobile and sophisticated places of the melodic pattern.

In this ligament, I hear a little restraint and the efforts of Meze Empyrean. Where is the weak point in Chord Hugo2G (DAC / AMP)?

Have you tried to other set up that you felt Empyrean perform with freedom?
I have plans to do this this current week

p.s: I think something like Audeze 4z would be closer to 335dwsr character but more in all aspects.
In the sound of Meze Empyrean, I do not have enough space between instruments, speed on some musical compositions. Perhaps you are right and I should look at Susvara, Diana Phi, Stax 007.

Aug 11, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #10,683 of 13,037
In the sound of Meze Empyrean, I do not have enough space between instruments, speed on some musical compositions.
For the "space between instruments" a nice tube amplifier can help.

For the speed, it's more a characteristic of the headphone. They are a little slower than most others in this Segment, which isn't to everyones liking.

If even a Susvara is in the budget you should look at T+A Solitaire P and P-SE.
Both could be run directly from your Hugo unlike the Susvara.
The P-SE costs the same as the Empyrean.

Both have a little more spaciousness than the Empyrean and a lot faster.

Aug 11, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #10,684 of 13,037
Wikipedia
Belcanto (Italian bel canto - "beautiful singing") - in opera: the technique of virtuoso singing, which is characterized by smooth transition from sound to sound, easy sound production, beautiful and rich color of sound, evenness of the voice in all registers, lightness of sound, which is preserved in technically mobile and sophisticated places of the melodic pattern.

In this ligament, I hear a little restraint and the efforts of Meze Empyrean. Where is the weak point in Chord Hugo2G (DAC / AMP)?

In the sound of Meze Empyrean, I do not have enough space between instruments, speed on some musical compositions. Perhaps you are right and I should look at Susvara, Diana Phi, Stax 007.
And depending on your musical and budget preferenecs the hekse will give you space and details.

the details are great though not quite to the level of the susvaras. And definitely brighter than the empys. Great precsion and very good space

ps i sold my hekse after buying the susvaras.

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #10,685 of 13,037
Wikipedia

I get your point. When I tried Empyrean with Hugo 2 I felt the same too, especially songs with strong vocality. Sometimes the transition of notes seems restraint, lack of dynamism, make the song become bland. However, this was not the case when I tried direct Hugo 2 with something like ZMF Verite or Audeze 4Z. Could be bad synergy of Hugo 2 and empy.

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #10,686 of 13,037
... In the sound of Meze Empyrean, I do not have enough space between instruments, speed on some musical compositions. Perhaps you are right and I should look at Susvara, Diana Phi, Stax 007.
This is one of the defining characteristics of Empyrean to my ears. Headstage felt like a lush warm/wet blanket of music enveloping my head.

My analogy was that Empy was like the 50th anniversary Sgt. Peppers mix vs HEKv2 which is like the original stereo mix of that LP. Both sound great but very different, even though the same notes are played in both cases.

Both my HEKv2 (had) and HEKse have significantly more air and space in their stages compared with Empy. I've never heard them, but reportedly v1 stage is similar. Also, note that HEKse is nearly as easy to drive as Empy, making it a much shorter reach than the cans you mentioned, which are significantly more 'needy' as far as amping.

You might also consider RAD-0. Tonality is a bit closer to Empy (especially vs HEKv2) and headstage is a bit 'in between'. RAD-0 is a huge downgrade in comfort compared to Empy though, unlike the HEKs which are quite comfortable, though nothing has been as comfortable on my head as Empy was.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #10,688 of 13,037
Would it be close to say the Empyrean is like the Harbeth of HP?
Hi for me the answer would be no, accepting that both are similar in the fact they are easy to drive. With the Harbeths you don't get much in the way of bass (quantity not quality that is) what you do get is that BBC 'mini monitor' tuning with fantastic mids. The Empys to me are more like smaller Wilson speakers, slightly coloured/warm with a big bottom end, although the Wilsons are not so easy to drive!

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #10,689 of 13,037
I recently upgraded my temporal amp/dac combo from iFi micro BL to RME Adi-2 Dac FS (holy crap the naming of hifi is just absurd) and I sm now really, I mean really impressed with the Empyrean. I am still liking the alcantara pads more, I feel like the alcantara + silver upgrade cable and the RME all balance things out that I am not missing anything from the Empyrean. At least not for my usage which is mainly electronic music, movie scores and some classical. I also game with the Empyrean and they perform there as well.

Really really satisfied. I have rarely been this impressed with a pair of any gear, there seems to be always something missing but no, not with these.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #10,690 of 13,037
Anyone with a Lyr 3 amp that can recommend good tubes to try for the Empyreans?

90620424-937C-4280-98EF-EEA00E6C958F.jpeg

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #10,691 of 13,037
Do
Anyone with a Lyr 3 amp that can recommend good tubes to try for the Empyreans?

90620424-937C-4280-98EF-EEA00E6C958F.jpeg
Do you aim for a warm tubey sound or a clear spacious sound?

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #10,693 of 13,037
So the EE has been up on Meze's Insta for like 3 months now. Has the hype totally died because we never got any more real info? Are those ~50 Dark Mystery sets from that German headphone shop the same thing?

To throw my 2 cents in, I'm hoping for an even higher end version of the Empyreans.

On a side note, is there any consensus that the Empyreans sound similar to an HEKv1?

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #10,694 of 13,037
So the EE has been up on Meze's Insta for like 3 months now. Has the hype totally died because we never got any more real info? Are those ~50 Dark Mystery sets from that German headphone shop the same thing?

To throw my 2 cents in, I'm hoping for an even higher end version of the Empyreans.

On a side note, is there any consensus that the Empyreans sound similar to an HEKv1?
According to the comments on Instagram it's more likely to be in between 99 classic and Empyrean.

And thr Empyrean and Hekv1 most certainly don't sound alike

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #10,695 of 13,037

Maybe it’s possible they’ll have something at next month’s CanJam in Southern California? Meze is listed as an exhibitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back