Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 18, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #10,726 of 13,028
I'm thinking it's something crazy like a mini, closed-back Empyrean but maybe it's also wireless.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #10,727 of 13,028
I’ve been subscribed to this topic for a while, and the more I read about the Empyrean the more I want to get a pair. I tried to ask for a demo to a couple of online shops, without luck, apparently there are no demo units, the sell very fast.

So, I’m here to ask for help: how do you like the Empyrean with small acoustic ensembles? I mainly listen to chamber music, so a lot of string quartets, piano trios, duos etc etc, solo instruments but not much orchestral music.

For reference I currently have a pair of HEDD, driven by a Burson Conductor XP: can’t really fault them…I’m not looking for a replacement but I want to treat myself.

The other options are ZMF Verite or Hifiman HE1000se
I listen to a lot of classical music. Piano solo especially but some orchestral works as well. I auditioned both the HE1000se and the Empyrean before settling on the Empyrean. The HE1000se can be fatiguing because of its more forward treble. The Empyrean is still extremely detailed but isn't shoving it in your face. The comfort factor is also huge to me. I can't stand it when my ears touch the inside grill of the headphone and that happened on the HE1000se. The Empyrean just disappear when your wearing them, particularly with the Alcantara pads.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #10,729 of 13,028
I listen to a lot of classical music. Piano solo especially but some orchestral works as well. I auditioned both the HE1000se and the Empyrean before settling on the Empyrean. The HE1000se can be fatiguing because of its more forward treble. The Empyrean is still extremely detailed but isn't shoving it in your face. The comfort factor is also huge to me. I can't stand it when my ears touch the inside grill of the headphone and that happened on the HE1000se. The Empyrean just disappear when your wearing them, particularly with the Alcantara pads.
Even though i lean to the hekse for classical music myself I also agree with everything you said too.

Two very good options.

The headphone world has a lot of great high quality options for various preferences. Though none of these are inexpensive.

Aug 19, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #10,730 of 13,028
though the empys and hekse are different in style (definite warmer tilt v brighter tilt) the hekse brings more detail to the fore.

and they are great out of anything - i would sometimes use them with my ipad

The HE1000se can be fatiguing because of its more forward treble. The Empyrean is still extremely detailed but isn't shoving it in your face
Thanks both, appreciated.
My mind is telling me the HE1000 is the one to get: every single review I read or watched mentioned how good they are with ‘classical’. It looks like a safe bet, doesn’t it?
On the other hand, my heart (I know…what an exaggeration!) is pushing me towards the Empyrean…maybe because I really like the look of it. Also, I might have a personal bias against the Hifiman sound, unmotivated perhaps as I only listened to the Ananda and an old pair of HE560, but I found that sound to be boring.

Aug 19, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #10,731 of 13,028
Reading the dedicated head-fi LCD-R thread, this seems to be another interesting alternative next to Sendy Peacock - unfortunately even more limited than the new Dark Mystery edition :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #10,732 of 13,028
Thanks both, appreciated.
My mind is telling me the HE1000 is the one to get: every single review I read or watched mentioned how good they are with ‘classical’. It looks like a safe bet, doesn’t it?
On the other hand, my heart (I know…what an exaggeration!) is pushing me towards the Empyrean…maybe because I really like the look of it. Also, I might have a personal bias against the Hifiman sound, unmotivated perhaps as I only listened to the Ananda and an old pair of HE560, but I found that sound to be boring.
You may find this (and google translate) useful:
https://musicalhead.de/2018/11/20/t...meze-empyrean-audeze-lcd4z-mrspeakers-ether2/

maybe the hekse are not for you.

the anandas are definitely closer to the hekse than the empys. the empys are a lot more differen. The hekse are a definite couple of steps above the hekse.

the hekse have superb detail and precision. But are related to the ananda just heaps better.
the empys have very good detail (not superb like the hekse) and a warmer round tone that is very enjoyable.
IMHO. YMMV. My 2 cents

each to their own

Aug 19, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #10,733 of 13,028
Thanks @thecrow !
The comparison you linked was interesting, there are some references to specific recordings. How can you trust a reviewer saying something sounds good with Classical music because they played Dvorak’s 9th? I mean, there are hundreds of recordings out there, with different orchestras, different conductor and on different labels!
In the test you linked the Hifiman seems the clear winner…this quote
No other headphones in this comparison are even remotely able to stage the Dave Brubeck Quartet so impressively in a spatial context.
is particularly enlightening…Take Five is an old favourite of mine, despite not listening to much jazz lately.

I managed to find a Empyrean demo unit, the should be with me on Tuesday, but if for any reason I won’t like the Empyrean getting the HEKSE should be a safe ‘replacement’
I will keep y updated

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #10,734 of 13,028
Thanks @thecrow !
The comparison you linked was interesting, there are some references to specific recordings. How can you trust a reviewer saying something sounds good with Classical music because they played Dvorak’s 9th? I mean, there are hundreds of recordings out there, with different orchestras, different conductor and on different labels!

is particularly enlightening…Take Five is an old favourite of mine, despite not listening to much jazz lately.

I managed to find a Empyrean demo unit, the should be with me on Tuesday, but if for any reason I won’t like the Empyrean getting the HEKSE should be a safe ‘replacement’
I will keep y updated
If you do not like the Empy, but like quality build, comfort, clean deep bass, extreme resolution in the whole frequency range, you can also try T+A Solitaire P, or P-SE. I found the P life-like for jazz and classical.

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #10,735 of 13,028
Thanks @thecrow !

I will keep y updated
I’ll be curious to hear your impressions. I had the HEKSE and ended up selling them, then bought the Empyrean not as a replacement because to me they are very different but to try something different. I listen to very little classical music, but instead EDM, soul, ‘80’s, and loud.

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #10,738 of 13,028
I also found a HE1000SE to listen at home, they should be with me next week, together with the Empyreans
Perfect (to have both)

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #10,739 of 13,028
I owned a HE1000se and sold it due to a lack of bass impact even compared to my HD800S.
That's crazy... I had crazy bass out of the dx220 max.

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #10,740 of 13,028
I owned a HE1000se and sold it due to a lack of bass impact even compared to my HD800S.
I noticed different users using the same headphone has very vast bass experience. I suspect something to do with the calcium and density of our skull .😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back